Poll: Mac or PC

Sronpop

Mar 26, 2009
Personnaly I like them all, I have a laptop running vista(atm, it being upgraded to 7 very soon) And for what I need it to do its awesome. Can run all the programs I need for college plus its great for other stuff that I might need, all my music, Guitar pro, games here and there, I have it plugged into my xbox making it a media centre and I can go on xbox live with it. That being said, I have customized vista so suit my tastes(it has a dock, and more or less works alot like OS X) and personnally I have had very few problems with any microsoft product, never seen a computer with blue screen of death. Honestly the only major computer problem I have ever had was the atrocity that is iTunes on Windows, it pains me to use.

Am I biased against Apple? Not at all, I have an ipod Touch and will probably be getting the new iPhone once its anounced. I also love the interface enough to give most of its functionality to my laptop.

Have I used Linux? Of course I have, Mandriva and Ubuntu. Its pretty cool, but all the arguements for it are retarded, like you can play games through Wine, or the fact that there is an Open-Source solution to everything, bullcrap.

Windows for me just works so why change? If I had exclusively a Macbook or Linux running, 50 bucks bets I would still have Windows running on it, via VMWare or something, and I have yet to see a person who doesn't.

Personnally my roadmap for buying computers is as follows. Keep my current laptop for a few more years while I complete college and get loads of money. Build a PC from stratch with windows installed on it, and continuously upgrade that one every few years, wil lbe pretty much my main computer, used for gaming, everything. If I havent sold my laptop yet, install Linux on it and use it for whatever. And if I really have lots of money? Buy a Macbook Pro and use it for multimedia mostly.

But untill that happens my windows laptop will suit me just fine, and I really dont see myself switching 100% to any other OS.

GOATOFRAGE

Jun 20, 2008
pc coz u can do more to it like changing components and stuff
also macs are quite expensive

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
PC is best for gaming because every video game that comes out for computers is PC compatible. Only a few are Mac compatible right out of the box. Most of them make you dual boot Mac and PC and run a program like Bootcamp to play them. Some publishers make their Mac versions more expensive than their PC versions. Plus, Mac software and hardware is more expensive than Windows compatible stuff is since Apple has much more of a monopoly on stuff that works with their OS than Microsoft has ever had.

Making some games play on your PC isn't quite as easy as sticking a game in a console, but it's a lot more user friendly than doing it on a Linux machine where you have to tweak the OS and install compatibility programs to make it play any version of a game (except for those rather crappy games you can download from Linux web sites).

I like to tinker with my computers more than some people do, but I draw the line at having to do as much tinkering as Linux requires. If Linux ever gets to be as user friendly and widely compatible with games as Windows is, I'll gladly switch to it. Until then, I'll pass.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Lexodus said:
Really? I find it's the other way around. I've had a lot of hassle in the past for using a Mac (until, of course, the day when those people come to my house and see how great my computer is), and I have to fight to make myself heard over the screaming Microsofters.

ANYWAY!

I like Macs-

They don't get viruses

They can do everything a Windows does (boot camp & Intel engines come as standard)

(Vista. I don't need to say any more.)

They are easy to use and more user-friendly

THEY DON'T CRASH EVERY FIVE-TO-TEN SECONDS.

While it doesn't have an intel engine, because it is over six years old, I am still very happy with my old G4. It does everything I want, including WoW.
Macs do get viruses, just not in the same amount that Windows does. Having 90% of the market share makes you a much, much bigger target.

Vista? It's great, had it for 1.5 years now, and it's crashed once (that is 1 time).

It's user friendly, and easy to use. And almost everyone got Windows, so help is never far away.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
PC, but that's cos I only know to use them, and the others confuse me

(Don't scream at me, I'm just a little dim =P)

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Macs are too expensive and you dont get as much for your money (in terms of hardware and right clicks). Since i don't have loads of money i go PC. I will admit Macs look nice but not nice enough to warrent the money spent.

HvD

Lord of Dragons
Apr 16, 2009
PC guy all the way. I like my games and the fact that I can build and upgrade them myself. And in my experience, they also just work, as long as you are running the same version of windows across the network; it even plays nice with linux; but try getting a mac to fit into a mixed network, good luck.

Laro

Apr 16, 2009
I use Mac mostly because it handles sound alot better than Windows does, and i primarily use it for music stuff.
I also find that while Windows is indeed sitting heavy on the gaming market, this has mostly to do with Windows being the most used OS and therefore it makes more sense to produce games for it.
Security is another bit many praise the Mac for, and while i agree that it isn't impenetrable, it is still alot safer than Windows.
Finally Mac has alot of other great programs which is great for my everyday needs, and alot more can be bought for special tasks.
While i still think alot can be improved, i find it to be my favorite OS on the market at the moment.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Lexodus said:
Really? I find it's the other way around. I've had a lot of hassle in the past for using a Mac (until, of course, the day when those people come to my house and see how great my computer is), and I have to fight to make myself heard over the screaming Microsofters.

ANYWAY!

[1]I like Macs-

[2]They don't get viruses

[3]They can do everything a Windows does (boot camp & Intel engines come as standard)

[4](Vista. I don't need to say any more.)

[5]They are easy to use and more user-friendly

[6]THEY DON'T CRASH EVERY FIVE-TO-TEN SECONDS.

While it doesn't have an intel engine, because it is over six years old, I am still very happy with my old G4. It does everything I want, including WoW.
First: Macs are PC's. Plain and simple they are all computers, and now that Apple is using Intel processors and all the hardware that goes along with the only real difference is the operating system.

Why I quoted the above? Well I wanted to give a few answers to his blind devotion:

[1]I do not prefer mac's, will get to the reasons why shortly.

[2]Do you realize who wrong this statement is? There are many viruses floating around, and as the computers rise above the 10% market share they have they will see more and more exploits. There is nothing special about Mac OS that prevents people from finding an exploit, they just have to wonder why they want to take their time finding a mac exploit when they could realistically expect to only infect a few hundred computers. Where if they geared it towards a Windows OS they could easily infect thousands to hundreds of thousands.

[3] Yeah because they are all PC's; Windows, Linux, Mac are all just software running on hardware that is pretty much identical. The reason your older Mac does not run Windows is because they intentionally built the hardware out as incompatible. Since they had a lower market share you had to buy your parts from Apple, and all service work had to be done by Apple. They wanted to make money off you from cradle to grave. At some point (probably as their share of market started to head south faster then a freight train full of Confederates after the civil war) they realized they needed to start doing something different. This started the Mac culture campaign and eventually lead to working with Intel.

[4] Yes you do need to say more... I run a machine with Vista Ultimate 64 bit version. It has run flawlessly. Of course I did not install immediately and do from time to time have issues with a program that was made to run on XP, but this is to be expected. Also while those programs crash, the system does not. Not all programs conform to the developers guidelines Microsoft has and uses to try and ensure backwards compatibility. Many take shortcuts or use shoddy programing, leading to issues down the road and with updates not only from Microsoft but sometimes from other companies updating their software on your computer.

[5] This one is the reason I do not prefer macs, the other responses just put it on equal footing with all the other OS out there. They are not "user friendly," they are intuitive owing to a similarity of interface among programs. Basically once you learn how to operate one program everything will seem strangely familiar. Like learning to fly a small aircraft and then sitting in the cockpit of a 737, you might not be able to fly it well but everything will be familiar, and easier to learn. Apple has a much stricter developer program. Rather then just making information available (it is now, was not always the case) They restricted access to it, and would deny you access if they where working on an in house program similar to yours. Something they still practice with the iPhone. This is why all mac software is overpriced. Now allowing more access to developers has started to place it in more equal footing with other OS's, which brings me to the next point.

[6]THEY DON'T CRASH EVERY FIVE-TO-TEN SECONDS. They may not, but it would take an especially inept person, or damaged hardware to make that happen on any type of system. My computer never crashes, occasionally a program will, but this is a big difference from the system failing. Should the statement "They just work" be correct then there would be no help desk forum plagued with white-screen-of-death questions, no boot camp experiences that resulted in dead computers sent to the Apple repair center, hell there would be no Apple repair center. They have the same problems as any OS, from time to time Apple developed products will fail on you running on the OS they where designed for. Seems like a cruel joke when itunes causes a WSOD when you try to play that latest DRMed track you might not have gotten from iTunes but they swore would work with it.

It is a PC and the only positives you have that make your OS stand out from the pack is that not enough people use it for anyone to give it the attention Microsoft gets.

Oh and they are pretty. Look at the colors.... ohhh. Rainbow.

This post was brought to you by the Get Over Yourself Group, buying a product does not introduce you into a some elite culture. Linux does not make you "L337 UB3R |-|4><0R," Microsoft is not only good for games, and is the mainstay of offices around the world, which if it was as unstable and vulnerable to attack as you say, it would not be. They all have their strengths and their weaknesses, you just need to pick one based on personal preference, there are programs to do whatever you want with it on any OS.

Insallah

Apr 16, 2009
I thought this poll was about hardware, not software...anyways, I voted windows since Ive never actually tried anything else.
..nor I can be arsed to tbh.

EddyRazzell

Apr 5, 2009
milkoy said:
While I am no longer a passenger upon the hating Apple wagon, I am finding it increasingly difficult to avoid its route since at every juction it passes there is always a group of Mac users who just won't shut the fuck up! "You know, Macs can't get viruses", "I'm in a band and I do recordings on my Macbook", "Check out all of the filter effects on my webcam".

Just shut the FUCK up! I don't give a cocking shit about how great Garage Band is, nor about how you can make YouTube videos easily.

I cannot be fucked with constantly being told how much better Macs are to PCs, and the worse part is that maybe, just maybe, it would be a respectable argument if they had some solid reasons besides quoting those skinny-jean motherfuckers from the Apple store, stating that "they just work".

Sorry for the *****.
Thats exactly what I thought, until I actually decided to buy one for myself because everyone was moaning at me to.
Its actually money well spent, but I really hate when people say "Oh look my mac can scratch my back with an extendable hand." I really don't care, Its just a good piece of hardware.

EDIT: The mac, not the "back scratcher" that doesn't exist.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
manaman said:
Lexodus said:

ANYWAY!

[1]I like Macs-

[2]They don't get viruses

[3]They can do everything a Windows does (boot camp & Intel engines come as standard)

[4](Vista. I don't need to say any more.)

[5]They are easy to use and more user-friendly

[6]THEY DON'T CRASH EVERY FIVE-TO-TEN SECONDS.

First: Macs are PC's. Plain and simple they are all computers, and now that Apple is using Intel processors and all the hardware that goes along with the only real difference is the operating system.

Why I quoted the above? Well I wanted to give a few answers to his blind devotion:

[1]I do not prefer mac's, will get to the reasons why shortly.

[2]Do you realize who wrong this statement is? There are many viruses floating around, and as the computers rise above the 10% market share they have they will see more and more exploits. There is nothing special about Mac OS that prevents people from finding an exploit, they just have to wonder why they want to take their time finding a mac exploit when they could realistically expect to only infect a few hundred computers. Where if they geared it towards a NT based Windows OS they could easily infect thousands to hundreds of thousands.

[3] Yeah because they are all PC's; Windows, Linux, Max OS are all just software running on hardware that is pretty much identical. The reason your older Mac does not run Windows is because they intentionally built the hardware out as incompatible. Since they had a lower market share you had to buy your parts from Apple, and all service work had to be done by Apple. Basically this was to make money off you from cradle to grave. At some point (probably as their share of market started to head south faster then a freight train full of fleeing Confederates. They realized they needed to start doing something different or shut down.

[4] Yes you do need to say more... I run a machine with Vista Ultimate 64 bit version. It has run flawlessly. Of course I did not install immediately and do from time to time have issues with a program that was made to run on XP, but this is to be expected. Also while those programs crash, the system does not. Not all programs conform to the developers guidelines Microsoft has and uses to try and ensure backwards compatibility. Many take shortcuts or use shoddy programing, leading to issues down the road and with updates not only from Microsoft but sometimes from other companies updating their software on your computer.

[5] This one is the reason I do not prefer macs, the other responses just put it on equal footing with all the other OS out there. They are not "user friendly," they are intuitive owing to a similarity of interface among programs. Basically once you learn how to operate one program everything will seem strangely familiar. Like learning to fly a small aircraft and then sitting in the cockpit of a 737, you might not be able to fly it well but everything will be familiar, and easier to learn. This happens because Mac has a much stricter developer program. Rather then just making information available (it is now, was not always the case) They restricted access to it, and would deny you access if they where working on an in house program to sell to customers. Something they still practice with the iPhone. This is why all mac software is overpriced. Why you can find a program for Windows that does the same thing for half the price sitting right there on a shelf with 8 other programs that have less of a scope but are free (and do basically what you wanted them to do anyway). Now allowing more access to developers has started to place in more equal footing with other OS's, which brings me to the next point.

[6]THEY DON'T CRASH EVERY FIVE-TO-TEN SECONDS. They may not, but it would take an especially inept person, or damaged hardware to make that happen on any type of system. My computer never crashes, occasionally a program will, but this is a big difference from the system failing. But then again I use compatible software, keep it free of malware, and from time to time run repair and diagnostics on the computer (which your are supposed to do with your mac). Simply if the "They just work" statement was correct there would not be a help desk forum plagued with white-screen-of-death questions, boot camp experiences that resulted in dead computers that Apple force people to send to their repair center. On and on. They have the same problems as any. And if you want a cruel joke even Apple developed programs have been known to cause a WSOD from time to time on a FRESH install of Mac OS.

Basically, it is a PC and the only positives you have that make your OS stand out from the pack is that not enough people use it for anyone to give it the attention Microsoft gets.

Oh and they are pretty. Look at the colors.... ohhh. Rainbow.

This post was brought to you by the Get Over Yourself Group, buying a product does not introduce you into a some elite culture. Linux does not make you "L337 UB3R |-|4><0R," Microsoft is not only good for games, and is the mainstay of offices around the world, which if it was as unstable and vulnerable to attack as you say, it would not be. They all have their strengths and their weaknesses, you just need to pick one based on personal preference, there are programs to do whatever you want with it on any OS.
So, in all of that long-winded insulting of my choice of hardware and general trolling against anyone who slipped and had the audacity to refer to MACs and Windows in the way that the whole world does (i.e Macs and PCs), you have firstly argued a point that I didn't even mention and made careful to not mention, by referring to Mac and WINDOWS, not Mac and PC, secondly called me a fanboy without basis, as I am not one, and used to beg for a PC until I saw how generally bad they were. Maybe I was using it wrong, maybe I wasn't, but I DON'T CARE. I was STATING MY OPINION.

Now, as you deigned to number my points, I shall respond in kind.

1] Opinion. Not even a reason for my liking of Macs, just my stating that I do.

2] Well... shit. In all that dribble, you've managed to PROVE ME RIGHT. Perhaps I should have said 'have' rather than 'get', but, at the time being, they both mean the same thing. The fact remains; for whatever reason, I have never had a virus, nor has anybody I know with a Mac.

3] I was talking about SOFTWARE, hence I said Windows, not PC. I'm not going to go into depth about the rest of your statement, because a) I realise that it was a shitty move to pull and agree with you on certain points, and b) because if I said something correct and said 'That's called MARKETING, DUMBASS' or "CAPITALISM IN ACTION', you would immediately post back, calling me a fanboy and prattling on, and yet managing to avoid any sort of recognition of what I had said to provoke that reaction.

4] Vista is generally internet fodder, because, as an OS, it has had terrible press and thousands of problems. Even many Windows users try to pretend it never happened, to sweep it under the rug, as the expression goes. XP, however, is a solid system, although 2007 is an annoying, overcomplicated piece of crap (IN MY OPINION) with thousands of extra features that do fuck all and needless (and backwards) aesthetic changes, much like the new Sky layout.

5] I don't have an iPhone and wouldn't know about that, but actually Mac software goes for roughly the same price as most other stuff (I'm talking games and shit, please correct me if I'm wrong about the OS packages, but I just finished a software analysis including OS packages, and Windows was going for a lot of money, equally as much as Mac). And you have just shot yourself in the foot. Mac sells for a lot more than the free stuff, yes, but Windows also sells for a lot more money than the free stuff, because... well, it's free stuff. Also, there must be a reason that the majority of people don't use that free stuff. I don't know what it is, maybe because of the less of a scope that you mentioned, but that's beside the point. Taking that out of the equation, it's just either Windows software (which can run on both) or Mac software (which a lot of is generally produced by Microsoft ANYWAY, because they both have realised that there is NO point for two competing word programs, etc., when there can be no difference at all and the common one, perfected over many attempts (and subsequently un-perfected in Windows 2007) would suffice, as having another would just add an extra extension and endless conversions between the two, which are bound to happen as peoples' preferences will mean that some will buy one, and some will by another), usually depending on what you already have and personal choice.

6] The software, the hardware; it all crashes on a PC. For example, I went on the Microsoft website once, and... it crashed. Every other page I went to remained functional, but that's really saying something in a semi-sarcastic anecdote-y kinda way. I've never had to worry about malware, never had to run repair and diagnostics, never had to debug, and only have to check for compatible software because I have a computer that's SIX YEARS OLD, which does not account for the major change between G4s and Intel engines, allowing you to run Windows software on a Mac. I also did not mention the 'They just work' quote, as that's kinda selling all the hard work put into making both systems run as well as they do (yes, even though I don't like it out of personal taste, I admit that Microsoft has done a good job so far, and the numbers of people with computers, whether Mac or Windows, is testament to that). I am also proud to say that I have NEVER had a WSOD, but I have had plenty of BSODs, all from Windows (obviously), and mostly at schools or other public places (which is excusable because you need to sacrifice quality for quantity, and things are bound to go wrong).

Yes, it is a PC. It is a personal computer, as many, including yourself, have pointed out. I don't care about standing out from the crowd because of my computer, and I'm not a fanboy. I simply like Mac because it has never let me down, never run around and deserted me (sorry, just had to put that in), because it doesn't have viruses (which you have even ADMITTED), and because, as you have said, "Plain and simple they are all computers, and now that Apple is using Intel processors and all the hardware that goes along with the only real difference is the operating system", which means that Macs do the same that Windows do, again, which you have said, but are better for "art projects (Not by alot not relevant to any professional vocation), super duper easy to use (Like grandma level)", to quote one of the multitude of people that generally said the same thing, at the same time as removing the 'Windows have all the games and are therefore better for gaming' advantage that has also been stressed many, many times.

Oh, and there's no need to get sarcastic. The colours are preeeeettyyyyy...

I do agree with the last bit though. It all comes down to personal taste in the end, and what you decide is what you will live with until you get your next computer. My choice was Mac, and I am HAPPY with that.

This post was brought to you by the Fuck Off and Die group.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
My girlfriend's Mac has died about 6 times in as many months. She's considering buying it from her college just so she can batter it with a hammer and take a blowtorch to the screen.

Compatibility with the rest of the world ftw!

Holy crap, wall of text crits you for ******* damage above.

crypt-creature

May 12, 2009
UltimatheChosen said:
I use PCs... Macs seem to favor form over function (Macbook Air and it's unremovable battery, for instance).
Own and am typing on a Mac. It's more or less known as a designers computer (graphics, editing, movies, etc). It performs better than any PC I've used, but since a PC has more commercial games for it I have one of those as well. The Macbook Air is a sad sad joke (sorry Apple, but you missed on that product).

Macs don't have as much of the virus threats that PC's do (come on, people just don't care to target a Mac), and I like the layout of the machines and interface better than a PC. All in they seem to respond better, even though it has some quirks of its own (what machine doesn't?)

That Mac would be a complete machine if it was built to run PC games (or more games were designed for the Mac).

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
crypt-creature said:
UltimatheChosen said:
I use PCs... Macs seem to favor form over function (Macbook Air and it's unremovable battery, for instance).
Own and am typing on a Mac. It's a designers computer (graphics, editing, etc). It performs better than a PC, but since a PC has more commercial games for it I have one of those as well. The Macbook Air is a sad sad joke (sorry Apple, but you missed on that product).

Macs don't have as much of the virus threats that PC's do, and I like the layout of the machines and interface better than a PC. All in it they seem to respond better.

That Mac would be a complete machine if it was built to run PC games (or more games were designed for the Mac).
Macs have their uses, but too many Apple products seem to be built for show. Also, another problem with Macs is that if they ever become a major segment of the market, they'll have to do a good deal of catching up in terms of virus protection... They just don't have as much experience at it (although in fairness, they've never really needed much).

PixieFox

May 6, 2009
I need to use both for my work in the newspaper; in fact, our entire building only has one PC. For media, Macs are immeasurably useful.
However, I personally use a PC at home simply because (as everyone else has said) playing games is easier and there is not as much guesswork about compatibility.

crypt-creature

May 12, 2009
UltimatheChosen said:
crypt-creature said:
UltimatheChosen said:
Own and am typing on a Mac. It's a designers computer (graphics, editing, etc). It performs better than a PC, but since a PC has more commercial games for it I have one of those as well. The Macbook Air is a sad sad joke (sorry Apple, but you missed on that product).

Macs don't have as much of the virus threats that PC's do, and I like the layout of the machines and interface better than a PC. All in it they seem to respond better.

Macs have their uses, but too many Apple products seem to be built for show. Also, another problem with Macs is that if they ever become a major segment of the market, they'll have to do a good deal of catching up in terms of virus protection... They just don't have as much experience at it (although in fairness, they've never really needed much).
Some of them are, but PC's have just as many (possible more). You're just going to have that with any type of hardware system, which is a sad sad fact.

Meh, Macs have enough protection to guard against the main threats out there, and that's A-OK with me.

Really it just boils down to:
What do you need the machine to do, what tasks is it going to focus on.

I love my PC as a toy for games and such, word documents and other programs that are fairly simple.
But I use my Mac more, for photo editing and general use.

almo

Oct 27, 2008
And it's called "GNU / Linux" Linux is just the kernel; GNU is the OS.

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html

(I voted Mac, BTW)