Poll: Mac or PC

veryboringfact

Apr 2, 2009
Alex_P said:
wordsmith said:
EDIT: Also- Mac V PC does not mean Mac V Windows V Linux. Linux machines are PC's too.
Macs are also personal computers. Hell, Apple practically started the term, if I recall correctly. Given that everything that the "Mac vs PC" ads talk about is really "OS X vs the last few versions of Windows", "PC" definitely means "Windows" in that context (okay, maybe 3% of their content is also about how Apple hardware is better than some of the "PC" OEMs).

-- Alex
Apple are the worst offenders in stirring the Mac vs PC argument, just look at their ads "i'm a mac and i'm a PC"; They know Mac is just an image so they sell the image, and i'm pretty sure that's half what this thread is about - image. I'm sure if I bothered to figure it out Linux would be far better than XP but Windows is what I know so i'll go with it every time, and I'd never get a Mac because i wouldn't want to be a "Mac User" (and yes that could be considered a euphemism)

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Gxas said:
Trilby_V said:
Some of you say that you prefer windows because it runs more games, but there are several programs that run windows on your mac (boot camp, etc.) so you can use windows only software on mac. Yeah it is kind of a hassle but it works perfectly well. Tenmar, as I understand you you are saying that you feel that using a mac is because people lack interest to learn how to use new programs? Well, yeah, you have a good point there, as well as the having more control over your computer. However, this requires more time to learn and use.
Why is a Mac the better computer/OS if you have to run windows on it to get it to do all the things you need it to do?
Because if you haven't noticed 90% of the market or so owns a PC which runs windows. It doesn't have anything to do with which is better or worse for developers, its which has the bigger market share. Its like the Wii; most people will say its shit, but because it has 50% of the market share to itself its going to get all the games.

EDIT: I actually never ever use windows on my Mac. I have found that the Mac comes with everything you like ever need installed; i installed XP for a game or two which don't run on OSX like Total War, but apart from that i spend all my time in OSX.

Lios

Oct 17, 2008
Linux=PC by the way.

I prefer the PC for its versatility, and its ease to customize. It's just the real choice for a gamer who actually wants to play some real games. I also don't see how people think the PC is hard to use either. Most of the usages are just plain common sense. If you really need to do something on the technical side then I can see where there might be problems, but lately everything's been made so its easier to use. Mac fanboys are just looking on the past of how the PC USED to be.

But all I really can't stand is the Apple fanboys who say the PC is an office computer great for spreadsheets, while both in my office and school, Macs were used instead of PCs.

What I also can't stand is the Mac fanboys who say they CAN play PC games, but also admit to having to use an illegal emulator to do so. It's not quite the same... Plus it's illegal. It also contradicts the often-spread opinion that the Mac is an easy to use machine, while those who use the emulators admit that they're somewhat of a nuisance to set up.

I've yet to meet a mac fanboy who can tell me why a Mac is better without shoving the use of emulating software or past events in my face.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
tk1989 said:
Because if you haven't noticed 90% of the market or so owns a PC which runs windows. It doesn't have anything to do with which is better or worse for developers, its which has the bigger market share. Its like the Wii; most people will say its shit, but because it has 50% of the market share to itself its going to get all the games.

EDIT: I actually never ever use windows on my Mac. I have found that the Mac comes with everything you like ever need installed; i installed XP for a game or two which don't run on OSX like Total War, but apart from that i spend all my time in OSX.
I see what your saying but it doesn't answer my question. I still want to know why you would ever, at all, need to put windows on your machine. If the Mac OS is indeed that much better, why am I not installing it on my PC to be able to do more? It isn't really a market share issue, though that has some bearing on it. If the Mac OS was truly better, it should be able to do anything a PC can do without windows. Boot Camp should be unnecessary, as should Parallels and the like.

I am in no way against Macs. I am against the Mac users (like my roommate) who bought a Mac because they are too stupid to realize that buying a stock PC and not paying a little extra money to upgrade it is the reason that their computers never worked. Your operating system is not better, you are just paying two-thousand dollars for a computer that looks pretty, takes very little skill and thought to use (no offense), and comes with the necessary hardware in it from the start. However, I could go to the store right now, buy a Sony Vaio PC for eight-hundred bucks, buy an extra stick of RAM for it for maybe fifty dollars more, tops, and my computer will run absolutely fine.

Trilby_V

Feb 9, 2009
Why is a Mac the better computer/OS if you have to run windows on it to get it to do all the things you need it to do?[/quote]

Im not saying Mac is better, im just pointing some facts out.

May 17, 2007
Trilby_V said:
Some of you say that you prefer windows because it runs more games, but there are several programs that run windows on your mac (boot camp, etc.) so you can use windows only software on mac. Yeah it is kind of a hassle but it works perfectly well.
Sadly, no, it doesn't. Macs come with graphics cards that are integrated with the motherboard, which are not very good. Even games that are years old play poorly on Macs, because although the RAM and processor may be sufficient to run them, the graphics card is not. And it's not upgradeable.

NB. This might not be true for the Mac Pro: the big, boxy one for professional media studios. Also, forgive me if I've got a technical detail wrong regarding the hardware.

EDIT: Oops, double post. My mistake.

May 17, 2007
Lios said:
I prefer the PC for its versatility, and its ease to customize. It's just the real choice for a gamer who actually wants to play some real games. I also don't see how people think the PC is hard to use either. Most of the usages are just plain common sense. If you really need to do something on the technical side then I can see where there might be problems, but lately everything's been made so its easier to use. Mac fanboys are just looking on the past of how the PC USED to be.

But all I really can't stand is the Apple fanboys who say the PC is an office computer great for spreadsheets, while both in my office and school, Macs were used instead of PCs.

What I also can't stand is the Mac fanboys who say they CAN play PC games, but also admit to having to use an illegal emulator to do so. It's not quite the same... Plus it's illegal. It also contradicts the often-spread opinion that the Mac is an easy to use machine, while those who use the emulators admit that they're somewhat of a nuisance to set up.

I've yet to meet a mac fanboy who can tell me why a Mac is better without shoving the use of emulating software or past events in my face.
You know the easiest way to spot a fanboy? He's the one who keeps calling people who disagree with him "fanboys".

Hedberger

Mar 19, 2008
Fraser.J.A said:
Trilby_V said:
Some of you say that you prefer windows because it runs more games, but there are several programs that run windows on your mac (boot camp, etc.) so you can use windows only software on mac. Yeah it is kind of a hassle but it works perfectly well.
Sadly, no, it doesn't. Macs come with graphics cards that are integrated with the motherboard, which are not very good. Even games that are years old play poorly on Macs, because although the RAM and processor may be sufficient to run them, the graphics card is not. And it's not upgradeable.

NB. This might not be true for the Mac Pro: the big, boxy one for professional media studios. Also, forgive me if I've got a technical detail wrong regarding the hardware.
Yeah you missed the part about choosing your own graphic card and that those cards are modern.

Edit: My computer is three years old and i can play modern games with pretty decent framerates(through bootcamp).

Eskay

Sep 2, 2007
Wow, nearly 30 posts on a mac vs pc and no flames, escapist impresses me yet again.

I use linux and xp and have never really seen an advatage to getting a mac. I never get viruses (not to try and jinx it) because I use up to date virus software, ad-aware and script blockers. My computer hasn't blue screened in 3 years either.

The most off putting things about macs is a lot of the time the users. That vocal minority of preachers who will swear blind that macs are heaven sent and pc users will burn for their ignorance. That and most apple products (while of perfectly acceptable quality) really are nothing special and buying them seems like engaging in consumer fetishism.

Travdelosmuertos

Apr 16, 2009
The whole thing boils down to Macs vs. Windows, not pcs. I have friends who try so hard to tell me their Macbook is better than my pc laptop because of viruses and what not - at least until I tell them that I run linux, which doesn't really get viruses. Then I explain why hackers make viruses and target Windows, and how they'll be targeted next if they keep pushing the Mac agenda. Their smug little faces don't hold up after that.

I really don't get the Windows hate. Sure, Vista had problems but only if you were unwilling to learn how to fix those problems. Been runnin Vista on my desktop since launch never had a virus, blue screen, crash of any kind. It's those stupid commercials. Steve Jobbs is a marketing genius.

sadpolice

Nov 12, 2008
PC is better for games, Mac doesn't have the same kind of gaming platform as windows, so i would go with PC - windows xD

milkoy

Apr 28, 2009
While I am no longer a passenger upon the hating Apple wagon, I am finding it increasingly difficult to avoid its route since at every juction it passes there is always a group of Mac users who just won't shut the fuck up! "You know, Macs can't get viruses", "I'm in a band and I do recordings on my Macbook", "Check out all of the filter effects on my webcam".

Just shut the FUCK up! I don't give a cocking shit about how great Garage Band is, nor about how you can make YouTube videos easily.

I cannot be fucked with constantly being told how much better Macs are to PCs, and the worse part is that maybe, just maybe, it would be a respectable argument if they had some solid reasons besides quoting those skinny-jean motherfuckers from the Apple store, stating that "they just work".

Sorry for the *****.

PrimeSynergy

Aug 24, 2008
Mac is for the lazy and loaded. Sure they're hassle free, but so are PCs if anyone took 5 minutes to read a decent article about how to take care of it. I'm using a crappy 4 year old PC still and although I've had a few problems it has been nothing major. PCs also cost a fraction of what a Mac costs. E.g. if you bought a Mac for $2000 I guarantee you could find a similar-spec PC for 1/3 that and a better equipped PC for only a little more.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
wordsmith said:
EDIT: Also- Mac V PC does not mean Mac V Windows V Linux. Linux machines are PC's too.
Actually, Macs are just another distribution of Linux that isn't free.

Hedberger

Mar 19, 2008
I'll jump the bandwagon and say WINDOWS for games and Mac OSX for work, pictures, music, etc. I play games through bootcamp and it works pretty well. I just wish that WINDOWS was as quick to navigate as Mac, especially when i'm web programming.

I also think that WINDOWS wasn't as well developed as Mac. Vista is a steaming pile of shit(last time i saw it at least, over a year ago) and they seem to have nicked a lot of the Mac features and failed to implement them well.

In the end i support Mac more because they seem to have new ideas and their programs feel like they were intended to be used and is therefore quicker and easier to manage. Hopefully their computers will be upgradeable some day too.

b4k4

May 2, 2009
I've always been for PCs, and for most of my life I was *extremely* militant about it. But a couple of years ago I applied the same views to mac users that I apply to stoners and other types of idiots: If you want to be a moron, go right ahead, just don't drag me the fuck down with you.

In my view, apple has two things going for it's products:
There's the sexy factor, which is entirely about aethetics, it has nothing to do with actual performance. If that's what you're concerned with, you don't actually want a computer, just something to make you look cool to all the kiddies, I'd go with an iPod.

The other big selling point that gets quoted at me all the time is how much easier to use macs supposedly are. I've never really understood that one, since my personal experience denounces that one at every turn, but I have an appropriate response there as well;
"Build a system even a fool can use, and only fools will use it."
I'm not sure who that quote is from, but it was pointed out to me 3 years ago, and I've never forgotten it.

But can we just talk about the iPods for one second? They're doing the exact same thing that Nintendo did with the gameboy (and now the DS), they're repeatedly releasing the same product with a new skin that does the exact same thing, in the exact same way. Let's look at it:

Gameboy>gameboy pocket: it got smaller
iPods did the same thing early on.
Then they got colored screens, just like the gameboy.
Then they got more memory, gameboy became GameBoyAdvance, more powerful.
Then smaller again, GBA to SP and MICRO.
Then they added more power and a touchscreen, after nintendo did the DS.

Y'know, the pokemon games have the same problem, but with fewer changes.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Just because I know it's going to come up, let me just say:

Macs aren't "better" at media stuff than PCs.

Now let me qualify that, macs can handle memory usage and some stuff a bit better, which means that you can scrub through HD footage with less lag than on a windows machine.

All I'm saying is that macs aren't the end all for media, in fact that advantage is fairly insignificant. Macs have high market penetration in the industry, but there's nothing that can be done on a mac that can't be done on a PC for roughly the same amount of effort. The fact that a PC that costs as much as a mac will have more ram ect, and the difference disappears entirely.

And they both have "1337" editing programs, most are multiplat (and it's easier having 2 mouse buttons) and there's good exclusives on both sides.