Poll: Mac or PC

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Linux, seeing as that no-one else is fighting for it and it is actually very good.

But I think these two videos state my opinion on it as no other one can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id_kGL3M5Cg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-22EpQOm8c&feature=related

Lios

Oct 17, 2008
Fraser.J.A said:
Lios said:
I prefer the PC for its versatility, and its ease to customize. It's just the real choice for a gamer who actually wants to play some real games. I also don't see how people think the PC is hard to use either. Most of the usages are just plain common sense. If you really need to do something on the technical side then I can see where there might be problems, but lately everything's been made so its easier to use. Mac fanboys are just looking on the past of how the PC USED to be.

But all I really can't stand is the Apple fanboys who say the PC is an office computer great for spreadsheets, while both in my office and school, Macs were used instead of PCs.

What I also can't stand is the Mac fanboys who say they CAN play PC games, but also admit to having to use an illegal emulator to do so. It's not quite the same... Plus it's illegal. It also contradicts the often-spread opinion that the Mac is an easy to use machine, while those who use the emulators admit that they're somewhat of a nuisance to set up.

I've yet to meet a mac fanboy who can tell me why a Mac is better without shoving the use of emulating software or past events in my face.
You know the easiest way to spot a fanboy? He's the one who keeps calling people who disagree with him "fanboys".
Then please, begin your argument as to why the Mac is better. I'm simply stating that I'm constantly confronted by fanboys who won't come up with any real good reasons, because they can't.

Unless of course you're just trying to come up with a clever post in an attempt to make me look bad.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Gxas said:
tk1989 said:
Because if you haven't noticed 90% of the market or so owns a PC which runs windows. It doesn't have anything to do with which is better or worse for developers, its which has the bigger market share. Its like the Wii; most people will say its shit, but because it has 50% of the market share to itself its going to get all the games.

EDIT: I actually never ever use windows on my Mac. I have found that the Mac comes with everything you like ever need installed; i installed XP for a game or two which don't run on OSX like Total War, but apart from that i spend all my time in OSX.
I see what your saying but it doesn't answer my question. I still want to know why you would ever, at all, need to put windows on your machine. If the Mac OS is indeed that much better, why am I not installing it on my PC to be able to do more? It isn't really a market share issue, though that has some bearing on it. If the Mac OS was truly better, it should be able to do anything a PC can do without windows. Boot Camp should be unnecessary, as should Parallels and the like.

I am in no way against Macs. I am against the Mac users (like my roommate) who bought a Mac because they are too stupid to realize that buying a stock PC and not paying a little extra money to upgrade it is the reason that their computers never worked. Your operating system is not better, you are just paying two-thousand dollars for a computer that looks pretty, takes very little skill and thought to use (no offense), and comes with the necessary hardware in it from the start. However, I could go to the store right now, buy a Sony Vaio PC for eight-hundred bucks, buy an extra stick of RAM for it for maybe fifty dollars more, tops, and my computer will run absolutely fine.
Well, it all is a matter of opinion on which operating system is better or not. Most people are too stupid to realise that an extra stick of Ram will make your PC run significantly better in most circumstances, yes, but that was not the reason why I bought my mac, nor the reason why my friends bought them. They run a lot smoother (constantly, you don't have to every month maintain your PC); viruses are few and far between on a Mac (sure, if you are sensible and have an anti-virus program on your PC this should be no problem, but i find most of them unintuitive, annoying and a waste of processing power/ram); the system is a lot easier to use and more intuitive (once again, my opinion. I am no douche when i comes to PCs, i know my way around them very well but i just prefer how OSX is set out); it uses 64bit architecture and UNIX (very few people are actually using 64bit on windows yet, and i find many programs aren't fully optimised for it yet). I can think of many many other things about it which i could list, but that isnt the point of this post; OSX and Windows are completely different things, and some will prefer one to the other.

I also don't see how i am not answering your question; wasn't it:
Why is a Mac the better computer/OS if you have to run windows on it to get it to do all the things you need it to do?
I said that Windows has a bigger market share clearly. More market share = more programs. Still, the only thing that i have had to install windows on my mac for was Total War; every program that i have ever needed was included on the operating system, can be bought from the apple store, or can be found online. I have never had a problem finding a program that i have needed for Mac OSX, or at least finding a suitable alternative. I think very few people actually have to install windows on their Macs, it just an option in case you need to do so, but i don't see why anyone would apart from to pay certain games.

And why would you want to buy a Sony Vaio PC? They're bullshit :p lol, jk

May 17, 2007
Lios said:
Fraser.J.A said:
You know the easiest way to spot a fanboy? He's the one who keeps calling people who disagree with him "fanboys".
Then please, begin your argument as to why the Mac is better. I'm simply stating that I'm constantly confronted by fanboys who won't come up with any real good reasons, because they can't.

Unless of course you're just trying to come up with a clever post in an attempt to make me look bad.
What I was trying to do was ask you to show a little more respect. When you do, you'll get more respect in turn.

Calling people "fanboys" is just a symptom of the bigger problem, which is dividing people into those who agree with you and those who don't and are therefore wrong. You just did it to me: you assumed I'm a Mac fanboy who wants to "begin my argument as to why Macs are better", just because I called you out on something that had nothing to do with Macs or PCs.

I've already posted a few times in this thread. If you really want to know my opinion, you can go back and read them. If you want to see a fanboy diatribe, you'll be disappointed.

George Palmer

Halfro Representative
Feb 23, 2009
Gotta go Mac. Or in my case MacPro. Better, faster, you can swap out parts contrary to popular belief, has a FAR better OS. Downside, not many games. Then again I have a Playstation and an XBox. The few computer only games that I find worth playing are also available for Mac.

And yeah, just the way it runs and the way Apple thought about how the interface works and should work is YEARS ahead of what Windows is capable of. Want to see how Windows will (kind of) run in 10 years? Look at OS X now.

OS X - Sleek, well thought out, easy to use, easy to customize, and if you want it you can get down to command line level.

Windows - Crashtastic, weak clone of OS X without the well thought out part, constantly resets itself and settings for apparently no reason, BUT you can play a shit load of games.

OS X is to Windows, like the iPhone/iPod is to Zune. Theres just no comparison.

Of course thats just me, I'm a different bread of cat. Kind of like DDKR!!!

BasicMojo

Mar 27, 2008
Here's what will render Macs practically obsolete:

Windows 7. [http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/]

For years, the biggest selling points of Macs have been simplicity and security. Now Windows offers all of that with the added benefit of not running on a machine that you have to void your warranty to customize.

Oh, yeah, and you can still run games on Windows.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
madbird-valiant said:
You might as well ask "Which is bigger: Saturn or Earth?"

Obvious answer is obvious.
Well saturn IS bigger yes but Earth is much denser in fact Saturn would float on water if you could find a large enough pool.

Erm.. I'll just show myself out, shouldn't I?

OT I Like the PC more for two simple reasons the games and the fact that I can build my own.

Street Spirit

May 5, 2009
Linux by far, as long as you get a decent build version your set, and it's far less hassle(In my experience anyway) plus you can build your own computer with it.

aww yea

May 3, 2009
PCs are always gonna be better for games, putting the poll on a gamers forum might not of been the best idea

but personally im a mac man, dont care much about the specs its all about the feel for me and macs feel better to use

plus they're sexy shiny sleek white

PS: pc stands for personal computer...

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
If you like flashy, shiny things you buy a Mac or an Ipod. If you like something that works better, faster, is flexible, and half the price, you buy a PC or alternative MP3.

I have a PC.

Edit: And the argument that Macs are better for media is pretty invalid seeing as third party software is better then most first party apple software on Macs.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
I'm not gonna be touching a mac, and its not because i consider them to be crappy, far from it. If it wasn't for their patronising and fairly insulting PC and Mac adverts I probably would have brought one already. But ah well i'm happy with Windows/Linux.

Draxis

Aug 11, 2008
WindowsXP guy here - Fast, stable, secure, and flexible. The token mac fanatic at work keeps showing me gimmicky stuff I dont care about, and gets offended when I dont react the right way. Some of the video editing software on OSX I would like to have a play with, but I have not seen anything else that explains why some people have such a hard-on for it. The hardware is damned nice, but as others have mentioned, most people only want web access. You dont need to pay £1500 for it.

Sronpop

Mar 26, 2009
Windows, because I can do this to windows.

But I can't do the same to OS X.

People say macs are more customisable, I disagree.

What I have there is windows vista, with a fully functioning dock.

EDIT: Woopsies, was in a rush to post that one, forgot how to work html