Poll: Mac versus PC: Let's be nice about it

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
This is not a debate this is pure flame and troll bait what we can all determine though is that the OPs conclusions are markedly incorrect in quite a number of areas. I could write a whole essay on each assumption that is incorrect but for now we can easily say that;

Exceptional hardware
Innovative design
One foot ahead
Aesthetics
Master of nanotechnology
Low virus charter

Viruses, viruses, viruses!
Frequent errors and crashes
Obnoxious security system (Windows 7)
Comparatively fragile hardware
Tendency to overheat

are all incorrect assumptions.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
MiketheBassMan said:
If "amgtheygetvirusues" is your biggest problem with a computer running Windows, you ought to be more careful with what you do online. My computer is protected solely by Windows Defender, and I have absolutely no problems with viruses or malware of any kind.
Fair enough, I realize that viruses can be easy to avoid and I usually have a good mind as to what to avoid. Also, I did mention I use windows myself, but on a Mac computer.

Just my $0.02.
I like this

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Laughing Man said:
This is not a debate this is pure flame and troll bait what we can all determine though is that the OPs conclusions are markedly incorrect in quite a number of areas. I could write a whole essay on each assumption that is incorrect but for now we can easily say that;

Exceptional hardware
Innovative design
One foot ahead
Aesthetics
Master of nanotechnology
Low virus charter

Viruses, viruses, viruses!
Frequent errors and crashes
Obnoxious security system (Windows 7)
Comparatively fragile hardware
Tendency to overheat

are all incorrect assumptions.
Those are my personal experiences.

Also, I'm not the one flaming here. I gave pros and cons for each one, and you took all of the pros for mac and all of the cons for PC and said they're all wrong, suggesting that mac is only bad and PC is only good.

Your opinion is unfairly biased, and you should be able to tell from the name of the thread that these kinds of posts aren't welcome here.

Besides, I said I use a Mac (hardware) that runs on Windows (software). I like the Mac hardware but not the software. If I was trying to create an anti-PC flame war I wouldn't have posted Pros and Cons for both.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Self-built computer with Windows. For ten years.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

superstringz

Jul 6, 2010
I've got Fedora 14, and I like it. I mean, sure, there are bugs, but fixing them is half the fun of Linux. Makes me feel smarter than I probably am.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
Gawd, another dick waving competition?

I use Mac, I like Mac, I really don't care what anyone else thinks.

Levi93

Oct 26, 2009
I'd personally say the hardware on a Mac is pretty average, not exactly exceptional, and I dont really care for the aesthetics of my computer I mean I speand most of my time looking at my computers monitor not at the actual tower.

Oh and for the record my computer is a little less powerful than a quad core 27 inch 2.8Ghz(£1684) Mac and almost £1000 cheaper, so yeah, not very good for value for money (my computer was about £700 in parts to build)

Also my computer has never overheated whilst playing games in about the 4 years that I've had it.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Hatchet90 said:
Gawd, another dick waving competition?

I use Mac, I like Mac, I really don't care what anyone else thinks.
That's all I want here. I want to know what people prefer; we're not here to see which one is better, because saying one is better than the other is a fallacy.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
Depends what you want from a computer really, I use mine for gaming and that's pretty much it so Windows is of course my preferred option.

Soon to own a self built with Windows :D.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
I usually find Macs are great for creative things, like flash and photoshop sort of stuff and almost everything else. BUT. Most importantly, you cannot game for shit on Macs. Unfortunate as it is. I've been stuck on mine for quite some time, so I've been trying my utmost (and failing) to get my PC back. I have PC games I pre-ordered and haven't played ffs! D;

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Jamous said:
I usually find Macs are great for creative things, like flash and photoshop sort of stuff and almost everything else. BUT. Most importantly, you cannot game for shit on Macs. Unfortunate as it is. I've been stuck on mine for quite some time, so I've been trying my utmost (and failing) to get my PC back. I have PC games I pre-ordered and haven't played ffs! D;
You can emulate Windows on a section of your hard drive. If you find Bootcamp in your system tools, that will help you partition your hard drive, then you can install windows on a part of it to use for gaming. I'd suggest 100-150GB. After your computer does the trademark "Berrr!" just hold Alt and it will give you the option to boot up in Windows.

That's what my computer does, and it works like a charm ^^

Also, about the gaming thing, I had the same problem. I played the first Assassin's Creed on my Mac partition, and I liked it. I then tried to look for the second one on Mac, and found out it's windows-exclusive. So, I installed windows 7 on a 100GB partition and got it. Haven't turned back :D

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Faladorian said:
Mac:
---Pros---

*Exceptional hardware
*Innovative design
*Aesthetics
*Master of nanotechnology
*Low virus charter
*Strong, outlasting shells
Exceptional hardware? Since when? The only impressive specifications come from the Mac Pros, and even then you're paying over the odds. Otherwise, you're getting the SAME specifications and components, but paying more.

Innovative design is true, however there are also ridiculously poor designs like the Mighty Mouse, and the super-slim keyboards. Awful.

Nanotechnology? You've lost me.

Low virus charter is true (but that gap is shrinking every day, unfortunately). However, viruses, worms and trojans are also more difficult to manage when they DO occur.

Can't fault the metal shells for durability and aesthetics. However, they're piss-poor for heat management.

Faladorian said:
PC:
---Pros---

*(usually)Easier to customize)
Always easier to customize, both hardware and software-wise.

Faladorian said:
---Cons---
*Viruses, viruses, viruses!
*Frequent errors and crashes
*Obnoxious security system (Windows 7)
*Vulnerable (non-isolated) core
files
*Comparatively fragile hardware
*Tendency to overheat
Viruses are a moot point - Only idiots get trojans, or regular viruses. Worms and malware are more common, but again, easy to deal with.

I haven't had a crash in years, apart from recently, but that was due to a faulty SSD, not Windows or the PC as a whole.

Obnoxious security that takes 30 seconds to turn off.

Vulnerable files are a *****. Very true.

Fragile hardware? They use the SAME hardware, aside from casing. I doubt you'd want to juggle your HD 5870s from either machine.

Overheating, again, is down to specific builds. I only use air cooling on my high-end rig, and I idle on 28 degrees C, and on max load, I hit 40 degrees C. The cooling in PCs is better.

Jamous said:
Both platforms can use the Adobe suites equally these days. Way back when, Macs had the first WYSIWYG interface, and Adobe developed their stuff for that. Additionally, when Windows gained prevalence, it was unstable. Working for hours on a piece in Illustrator, Flash, Photoshop or any of the others only to end up with a BSOD and losing it all wasn't suitable.

These days, it doesn't matter. Unless you plan to use a machine for both gaming and work/creating, it's ENTIRELY down to personal preference in regards to operating systems.

This is coming from someone who uses both, every day, for several years. My self-build dual-boot gaming/design rig, regular Windows PCs and Mac Pros/iMacs.

Want a great machine? Build a PC and have a dual-boot system.

tinkyyy

Nov 17, 2008
I'm running a Macbook with MacOSX. I used to have it running bootcamp with Windows 7 but removed it for some reason I can't quite remember. But I had the Windows partition for gaming, which on this ran quite well, I was getting better fps and a generally better experience gaming than my housemates mid-range gaming pc.

But the gaming on OSX is nowhere near as good as that, I've had more issues trying to get games to run smoothly than I did on windows. But then I prefer the usability of OSX and I use it primarily for video editing (Final Cut) and image editing (Photoshop). There is also the fact I'm now just more used to OSX as opposed to Windows, but really I can happily use either these days. Although saying that, my last Windows laptop just got so bad it crashed on a daily basis and then just ceased to function after a while. Not really sure what happened there, but I've had my macbook a year and a half and haven't had any major crashes or anything.

Neyon

May 3, 2009
Faladorian said:
Mac:
---Pros---

*Exceptional hardware
*One foot ahead
(technologically)

PC:
---Cons---
*Comparatively fragile hardware
*Tendency to overheat

I really must punch a few holes in that initial post. Firstly, macs do NOT run exceptional hardware and are in NO WAY one foot ahead technologically. The main reason for this is that apple is very restrictive in what hardware is allowed in the models they produce. The processors are older and slower, the ram has a lower frequency, they do not come with anywhere near top of the range GPUs etc. Macs are marketed to people who don't know their hardware, as are MOST PCs you will find in retail stores; they don't give specifics about what is actually inside.

From the apple configurator:
Specifications
# 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
# 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
# 256GB Solid State Drive
# 8x double-layer SuperDrive
# ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM
# Apple Wireless Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
# Magic Mouse

The ONLY named piece of hardware there is the GPU, and even for that the vendor & frequencies are not given. All the other listings really do not provide any important information. SSD Read/write times vary from anywhere between 70MB/s and 740MB/s for example, which is a huge variation. You probably could find out the specifics, but they are not shown in plain view and the average person is not going to go looking for it.

To do with the cons, stating that PCs use fragile hardware is just silly and I honestly have no idea where you got that from. A processor in a properly built PC will be just as durable as the same processor in a MAC. I also don't see where the tendency to overheat con came from; so long as a PC is properly put together (which it will be if you buy it from virtually any known retailer) it will be fine. The only reasons a PC would overheat would be if the syetem was user built and did not have adequate cooling (entirely the user's fault), if the
user was overclocking parts and did not have adequate cooling (unlikely, presuming an oc'er knows what he is doing), or that the PC has been thrown into a fire.