Poll: Mac versus PC: Let's be nice about it

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
Faladorian said:
*One foot ahead
(technologically)
Not necessarily. I mean, there are plenty of programs that are just as good as those of the mac, for windows. And with sufficient work on a pc and picking proper programs, it's just as fast if not faster.

*Viruses, viruses, viruses!
*Frequent errors and crashes
*Obnoxious security system (Windows 7)
You can turn the windows 7 security system off. Just saying.

And for the others, I have yet to get a crash or error I could not fix. And when I do get them, they're pretty rare. Mac tends to crash without even an error. And some of the problems are weird...

As for the viruses, you can fix that mostly with a good antivirus and common sense policy.

I checked 'self-built' with windows. I did however modify some of my windows for my convinience so it's not exactly as the rest. My main problem with the Macs is that they are very expensive while not providing a lot of novelty program wise. (very few mac programs compared to windows programs and they basically can do the same thing).

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
May I ask how you come to these conclusions?

*Comparatively fragile hardware
*Tendency to overheat
*One foot ahead
(technologically)
??

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
I use both, but mainly a Mac. Actually, the only reason I use a PC is for school. And it's very difficult, because I don't know what anything does. As for gaming, well, I have a couple games on steam for my Mac, but I was always a console gamer, so it doesn't really matter.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
While I have nothing against mac I could never buy one. I prefer the best hardware that I can afford on a budget and with mac you pay for a logo.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Blitzwarp said:
I have a console for gaming and I only use my MacBook to do creative things (Pages, Photoshop, iMovie, etc.) so I find Mac OS 100% perfect for my needs. It's fast, intuitive, and not bogged down with all of the errors Windows has to contend with. (No, I'm not saying a Mac is 100% bug-free, but in my two years of Mac ownership my MB has not crashed once. Compare this to my old Windows laptop, which crashed nearly every day.)
Same. My MBP makes all the tasks you do 10000 times a day on a computer so simple that I get frustrated when I have to use a different kind of computer. It streamlines everything, I guess. Sure I can't play many games on it, but I never intended to play any games on it when I got it.

And it's an indestructible tank of a machine. I've dropped this thing countless times. I had a freak accident at a friend's apartment that resulted in water being spilled on the computer, the computer falling to the floor, and then the top of a table falling on the computer. I've spilled an entire cup of coffee right onto the keyboard. What's the damage? My c key doesn't work.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Tubez said:

*Tendency to overheat
*One foot ahead
(technologically)
??
Here I'm sort of picking on Dell. Also, my Mac is covered in a hard shell (what i presume to be titanium, not sure) and when things hit it, they break, not the computer. I had an HP before it and I broke the CD drive just by picking it up.

*Tendency to overheat
I see people always needing to take a break from playing games, as their computer will overheat. In fact, it burns to touch. My little computer stays cool even during chase scenes in the latest AAA games.

*One foot ahead
(technologically)
Some of the technology Apple puts into their products is pretty amazing. The evolution of the iPod is a proper example. PCs tend to lack that sort of fancy new-technology feel, and are much cheaper as a result, but simply less flashy or impressive. It's all a matter of opinion.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Cingal said:
I think you may need to validate your pros and cons. Don't seem entirely agreeable.
This thread is open for you to post your own, so by all means feel free to suggest new bullets or to remove some seemingly biased or untrue ones ^^

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
Let's put it this way:

MACs are for doing professional work, like digital graphic design, and programming and stuff like that. They're built to create things, and be serious tools for working.
PCs are for having fun, playing games, and making mods of things.

Neither one is "better" they just focus on different things. It's a preference, and it'd be wrong to state one's preference/opinion as fact.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
TheTaco007 said:
Let's put it this way:

MACs are for doing professional work, like digital graphic design, and programming and stuff like that. They're built to create things, and be serious tools for working.

Neither one is "better" they just focus on different things. It's a preference, and it'd be wrong to state one's preference/opinion as fact.
You're mostly correct, but with one important oversight.

PC's are used for creative, professional work as well. PC is the industry standard for game development and digital effects, Mac is more for the graphic design field.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
kingcat1 said:
'Exceptional hardware' no , just no.
Feel free to disagree, but a little more explanation than "no" would help. I'd like to know why you think what you do, not that you think it in the first place.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Faladorian said:
Tubez said:

*Tendency to overheat
*One foot ahead
(technologically)
??
Here I'm sort of picking on Dell. Also, my Mac is covered in a hard shell (what i presume to be titanium, not sure) and when things hit it, they break, not the computer. I had an HP before it and I broke the CD drive just by picking it up.

*Tendency to overheat
I see people always needing to take a break from playing games, as their computer will overheat. In fact, it burns to touch. My little computer stays cool even during chase scenes in the latest AAA games.

*One foot ahead
(technologically)
Some of the technology Apple puts into their products is pretty amazing. The evolution of the iPod is a proper example. PCs tend to lack that sort of fancy new-technology feel, and are much cheaper as a result, but simply less flashy or impressive. It's all a matter of opinion.
My laptop never overheats and I do not know anyone that needs to stop playing games cause theirs computers will overheat otherwise. And I thought we were talking about computers not Ipods which is a mp3. If you pay the same amount of money on a PC laptop as you do on a MAC you can get a laptop with a hard shell.

MiketheBassMan

Jan 21, 2009
You put "exceptional hardware" under the mac category. I can only assume you mean peripherals. Mac hardware is never up to par with the latest hardware. Better video cards and processors are in normal laptops long before they're in Macbooks. As a proud owner of an Alienware laptop, I can attest that it is more durable than a Macbook Pro, has better hardware than you can put in a Mac, and looks significantly more unique and cool.

Macs are fine if you just want to fuck around and spend money on iTunes, but a comparable PC running any modern distribution of Linux is easily as capable, and a computer running Windows 7 is significantly more productive.

If "amgtheygetvirusues" is your biggest problem with a computer running Windows, you ought to be more careful with what you do online. My computer is protected solely by Windows Defender, and I have absolutely no problems with viruses or malware of any kind.

Just my $0.02.

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
TheTaco007 said:
Let's put it this way:

You're mostly correct, but with one important oversight.

PC's are used for creative, professional work as well. PC is the industry standard for game development and digital effects, Mac is more for the graphic design field.
Ah, yes, forgot to mention that. Thanks.

MiketheBassMan

Jan 21, 2009
ciortas1 said:
Exterminas said:
If there was a objective way of deterimnate which product is best, then there wouldn't be two products.
Wrong. You're telling me shitty movies, games and so on are not supposed to exist, yet they do. There are a couple of things you could think through, like marketing and the non-discriminative nature of the average consumer, for one.

PC, all the way through. Macs are horribly overpriced and not any more functional, in fact, they're lacking in functionality compared to PCs. And Apple is a bad, bad company.
It might be a little extreme to call out Apple as a company, but it is true that their advertizing goes out of its way to appeal to hipsters, while hiding the fact that their computers are significantly more expensive for hardware that is not quite cutting edge.

Dieter Meyer

Jan 14, 2011
Mac for laptop and self-build windows for desktop.

Tried an iMac the other day (my school is filled with them *shivers*) it sucked.