Poll: ME3 - Aren't You Guys Rather Embarressed?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Yopaz said:
Caramel Frappe said:
Yopaz said:
Yes, it's gone too far. This is being treated like there has actually been done physical harm to its consumers. There are no broken promises or violations. This is simply a game that most fans didn't find satisfactory.
After making such a long post, I am unsure why I am posting but just wanted to clarify that Bioware has made promises and they were indeed broken. 4 of them to be exact. If you'd like proof then please read my very long post above or check out this video which does a better job anyhow. Unsure if you want to watch through it all but it does explain quite perfectly that Bioware screwed up indeed.

P.S: I admit the fans were not harmed in any manner but I must say personally me and others feel cheated out, scammed. My longer post explains it all but the video as I have placed onto this one does a good job explaining the harm in trust so that in a way is harming the fans making them lose interest in Bioware games.
Saying something you believe is the truth isn't a lie just because it's wrong. You may call this broken promises or false advertisement, but in the end it's just failure to deliver on the hype of a game. If they felt that the ending was good and they thought that it wouldn't leave unresolved matters then well, they were wrong, but if they believed it when they said it, is it a lie because you disagree? If I say Superman 64 is a great game is that a lie because everyone disagrees?

Think to yourself, is this really a bunch of lies and broken promises or just a game that didn't live up to hype?
It's sort of fact that the ending is more then just 'bad' where it let everyone down because it wasn't what they wanted. It's the fact the ending was poorly written my friend and the two videos along with my very long reasons prove that with more reflecting off Bioware. Not only (which is sad to say) is the ending incomplete but the ending once you beat it encourages you to keep playing and buy their DLC. Doesn't that come off as shameless of Bioware?

Because I think they rock, or to better put it a well established company but now they're just doing everything wrong. They've said we can give them feedback but once the criticism comes in- they shut down their official forums meaning they closed their threads where our opinions are no longer heard. I didn't tell you this but it was in the very long post I made from above:

Sure, the ending is bad indeed and I can live with them keeping the ending if they least explained themselves as to why it's like that, answer some questions and make up the trust with future games developed.. but instead Bioware and mainly the director keep ignoring the fans and pushing aside the concern with "You guys are just upset because the ending wasn't butterflies and rainbows." No my good sir, it's not at all like that. I expected Shepard to die maybe if it came down to sacrifice, I even knew many would die at the end... but I wanted an ending to be solid, to matter as in our choices did make an impact. Instead we get an ending that is basically the same as any other ending you pick but with a different color. Not just that, but it leaves so many plot holes, questions in the air, and confusing aspects that it's just.. a really off ending. Fans are even assuming it was a dream and for Bioware to make the fans have to come up with theories for an ending like this is wrong, to me.
With all that said, the ending was more then just disappointing. It made me feel like in order for the actual complete story I am going to have to buy some DLC or for sure buy ME4 if that comes out. Also Bioware has done a few things even before the ending that seemed like taking advantage of their customers, the consumers. Now don't get me wrong I have nothing against you and it's perfectly fine if you disagree with me because hey.. some fans do feel sheer anger just because the ending didn't live up to their hype. But when you got a majority of fans, over hundreds and thousands all giving very detailed examples as to why the ending was far off and something everyone can agree on that the hype wasn't that made it bad... then you know something's wrong with Bioware.
It's OK to feel disappointed and it's OK to feel like the ending should have more, but this is still getting out of control. People aren't merely saying the ending was bad and giving good reasons why it is bad. They are treating the ending like it is a personal insult to all the fans of the series. They are treating it like it actually did physical harm. I wont defend Bioware or their choices for the game or the ending. I will however keep saying that we're taking this way out of proportions.
The ending of a game shouldn't spike a lawsuit. Bioware failed to do what we expected, we should accept that and move on.

They might be closing threads on their site, but with the maturity of gamers who are disappointed in a game can you blame them? A thread about the ending of Mass Effect 3 is almost certainly going to result in groundless flaming, insults and unpleasant posts which gives off little if any constructive criticism.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Yopaz said:
Saying something you believe is the truth isn't a lie just because it's wrong. You may call this broken promises or false advertisement, but in the end it's just failure to deliver on the hype of a game. If they felt that the ending was good and they thought that it wouldn't leave unresolved matters then well, they were wrong, but if they believed it when they said it, is it a lie because you disagree? If I say Superman 64 is a great game is that a lie because everyone disagrees?

Think to yourself, is this really a bunch of lies and broken promises or just a game that didn't live up to hype?
It's lies.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10056886

I don't want to copy and paste those individually again. Read those real fast. (At least a few of the short ones.)

It's really a bunch of lies. It's like Superman 64 marketing saying "Making a game with mostly flying through rings would be ridiculous, we wouldn't do that to our players."

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Savagezion said:
Yopaz said:

It's lies.

I don't want to copy and paste those individually again. Read those real fast. (At least a few of the short ones.)

It's really a bunch of lies. It's like Superman 64 marketing saying "Making a game with mostly flying through rings would be ridiculous, we wouldn't do that to our players."
Yes, I have seen that thing before I made my previous post. However if you read my post I said that failure to live up to your promises isn't a lie. <bYou[/B] as a fan don't think they managed to do what they had promised. However do you got anything to suggest that they know they didn't live up to their promises beforehand? A false statement isn't a lie as long as you believe it. This is failure to please and failure to live up to the promises. If you really think that we aren't taking this ending too far, let me know how many people died because they failed to please. They made a disappointing ending move along, it's not the end of the world.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
If this was last week I would say yes,because even I was enraged with what I got.But since Friday I swallowed it up and thought "The trilogy was a great experience,maybe the last 10 minutes shouldn't ruin the other 100+ of play time,it's just a game after all."
Since then I've just been reading news about ME3 EVERY DAY on this site,just to remind me that people can't get over it.
I also give props to the indoctrination theory,from a desperation call from the fans,to a second playing card of BioWare.
Lastly this drama got featured on national news,and in a good way.

I still voted 'No' because "it's just a game".Besides I'm now expecting a DLC with the "true ending the fans want",when I didn't really want it to be changed,just let people make their own,but I guess a community isn't smart enough for that and they have to get something.

From another perspective I find this movement quite fascinating,how everyone was upset,the rants,the articles,things like "Demand a better ending to Mass Effect" #RetakeME3 with charity,"entitled consumers",indoctrination theory,BioWare PR talk and reactions to it.See where I'm getting at,and all of this in the span of 2 weeks,because it's the internet.Stop thinking for a moment about "Why exactly are we doing this?" and look at "How are are doing this,what methods are used and why those?".This is truly one of the brightest examples how internet has integrated into modern culture and the power it has,when people are united for a cause.

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
So many butthurt crybaby fanboys.

Let Bioware make whatever fucking game they want to make. If you don't like it, big fucking deal. It's not YOUR game. YOU AREN'T THE WRITER.

How do we expect our medium to be taken seriously as an art form if we ***** at other's writing and demand it changed? I mean, if enough people don't like the way the Mona Lisa looks does that mean we can scribble over it until it's nice enough to us?

GET THE FUCK OVER YOURSELVES.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Yopaz said:
Savagezion said:
Yopaz said:

It's lies.

Yes, I have seen that thing before I made my previous post. However if you read my post I said that failure to live up to your promises isn't a lie.
The law says otherwise when trying to sell a product.

You as a fan don't think they managed to do what they had promised. However do you got anything to suggest that they know they didn't live up to their promises beforehand?
"This story arc is coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we?re taking into account so many decisions that you?ve made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It?s not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C." -Casey Hudson
Source:http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/10/mass1525-effect-3-cas5ey-fdsafdhudson-interviewae.aspx

That interview happened when the game was going through certification. The game was done. A lot of these interviews were done in at this point because before that was crunch time. A few were even just a couple weeks away from the game being released. Before certification time would have been crunch time where there isn't time for interviews.

A false statement isn't a lie as long as you believe it. This is failure to please and failure to live up to the promises. If you really think that we aren't taking this ending too far, let me know how many people died because they failed to please. They made a disappointing ending move along, it's not the end of the world.
Haha, no it isn't the end of the world. It's just an unethical business practice that is well within consumer rights to want repercussions for such an action. I wanted Shepard to die in the end, I expected him to. I don't see a problem with a happy ending but I thought it would be more interesting to see what would happen if he died in the battle personally. But I don't get to see that, I get to see either a random mash up of unexplained events or his last dream. I don't really know which it is. But I digress, because it isn't important to you how much of a game's ending was gutted. Pathelogical liars can pass lie detector tests because they believe their lie at the time they are telling them. They are a type of sociopath. But we do distinguish them apart from other sociopaths as liars. Because that is what they are. The game was finished, they said the content was what it wasn't and that it wasn't what it is. It is a lie and if they believed it, they are sociopaths and should no longer be allowed to do interviews.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
DoPo said:
I feel some gamers just hated ME3's ending because they wanted to hate ME3 for something.
Except that the people who truly hate the endings are the people that love Mass Effect.
It was such a fantastic story that needed a good ending.
Note that I don't necessarily mean a 'happy' ending, just one that does the story justice.
But as the endings are, they just take a massive shit on everything you've done up to this point.
Everything you've ever done in any of the Mass Effect games amounts to squat.
You don't even get any choices in the final dialogue, Sheppard just blindly agrees with the bullshit.
My Sheppard would have punched the fucker 4 sentences in.

Imagine doing everything right in Mass Effect 2, gained all upgrades, every squadmate loyal, etc.
And then, no matter what you do, everyone dies on the final mission and the collectors win. The end.
And the sad thing?
That that would actually be a better ending than what ME3 has.

longboardfan

Jul 27, 2011
No its good because for the first time ever I'm not in the minority of gamers that give a crap about the STORY. The problem isn't the game, its the STORY that sucks and needs fixing. We might, and I pray for this. We might actually see better writing in games.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Savagezion said:
Yopaz said:
Savagezion said:
Yopaz said:

It's lies.

Yes, I have seen that thing before I made my previous post. However if you read my post I said that failure to live up to your promises isn't a lie.
The law says otherwise when trying to sell a product.

You as a fan don't think they managed to do what they had promised. However do you got anything to suggest that they know they didn't live up to their promises beforehand?
"This story arc is coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we?re taking into account so many decisions that you?ve made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It?s not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C." -Casey Hudson
Source:http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/10/mass1525-effect-3-cas5ey-fdsafdhudson-interviewae.aspx

That interview happened when the game was going through certification. The game was done. A lot of these interviews were done in at this point because before that was crunch time. A few were even just a couple weeks away from the game being released. Before certification time would have been crunch time where there isn't time for interviews.

A false statement isn't a lie as long as you believe it. This is failure to please and failure to live up to the promises. If you really think that we aren't taking this ending too far, let me know how many people died because they failed to please. They made a disappointing ending move along, it's not the end of the world.
Haha, no it isn't the end of the world. It's just an unethical business practice that is well within consumer rights to want repercussions for such an action. I wanted Shepard to die in the end, I expected him to. I don't see a problem with a happy ending but I thought it would be more interesting to see what would happen if he died in the battle personally. But I don't get to see that, I get to see either a random mash up of unexplained events or his last dream. I don't really know which it is. But I digress, because it isn't important to you how much of a game's ending was gutted. Pathelogical liars can pass lie detector tests because they believe their lie at the time they are telling them. They are a type of sociopath. But we do distinguish them apart from other sociopaths as liars. Because that is what they are. The game was finished, they said the content was what it wasn't and that it wasn't what it is. It is a lie and if they believed it, they are sociopaths and should no longer be allowed to do interviews.
Sure, if you sell a faulty product believing it to be working OK and it turns out it doesn't and you get injured for it the one who sold it is responsible. However Mass Effect 3 is not a faulty product. If the story didn't end the way you want it, then that's subjective. A story with a poor ending and a car without working breaks can't really be compared by any law.

So here is where you're wrong. Their subjective statements about the game doesn't match your subjective statement of the game. That does not mean they told an objective lie. I think I'll leave it at that.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Snippy snip!
Wow. That was the most eloquent and civilised debate I have ever had the pleasure to read. I suddenly feel really peaceful and calm, a nice change considering the rage this whole ending problem has brought to us fans.

Oh and the final Harry Potter book was 7 and not 5 :)

OT: I, for one, am certainly not ashamed of the fan rage at large. I'm happy to count myself part of the angry mob, pitchfork and burning torch in hand.

This goes far beyond a simple bad ending, this is more than just poor writing. This is a matter of betrayal, not intentional on Bioware's part I'm sure, but fans have had their hearts broken nonetheless. This constant denial from Bioware doesn't help to mend the damage either. I don't think they realise just how passionate their fans are about Bioware as a dev team but they are sure as hell finding out now.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Voted that it is worth fighting for.

As gamers we are the target market for all these companies, and as such we rely on them for providing our medium of entertainment. That does not mean that we should not have a voice, or a say on what happens. They make product, we consume product, if product is not up to scratch, we complain, as we damned well should.

While I can appreciate "Games are Art" argument from both sides (Gamers atleast), the big publishers are pushing this crap for tax reasons, NOT artistic integrity, and I feel for those who have swallowed the hype and PR lines whole.

That said, every "cause" will have its extremists, but will I personally let them make me feel guilt or shame for being a gamer? not a chance in hell, its the internet, it is full of bile, stupid and plenty more, normal people sit behind these posts, if some feel empowered to be E-Tough, so be it.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
It's really not something You can answer by simple Yes or No, real world isn't binary.

Now as for my stance.

Video games are very specific medium that can't really be directly compared to movies of books. It's an interactive medium that people involve and invest themselves into on a much greater scale than it is the case with more traditional ones. It's also a medium that, despite the growth of so called "casual" market is still very dependent on a rather specific group of people that actually play all those "AAA" games. It's players who, even years later, are willing to improve and enhance the products that keep brands alive and in a way offer additional brand recognition for the original developer. Games like BroodWar, Elder Scrolls, Diablo, Counter Strike, Quake are still played, still relevant thanks to that investment from their "fanbases", not to mention all the community projects that later became fully fleshed out products (Team Fortress, L4D, DoTA). There is a lot more interaction between developer and customer than in any other medium.
Another thing is how underdeveloped gaming is. We don't really have any influential personas. Yahtzee, TotalBiscuit, Jim ... each of them only reaches to a small portion of overall gaming crowd. We don't have critics that the industry would really have to pay attention to, and gaming press every now and then shows lack of integrity across the board.

This all means that if we want decent quality in games, we are the ones that should stand up for it. If we are asked by studios to shell out 60$ for a product we should demand a product that meets certain standards rather than blindly buy into everything. The less people yell the more They enable big companies to get away with all sorts of crap and that doesn't benefit us nor the gaming in general in the long run. We should care for quality and be able to criticize companies we like whenever They do something wrong.

That said, however, some of the initiatives surrounding ME3 controversy went bit over board. Funny meme-pics are fine, Marauder Shields is fine, in many cases those were quite creative. There was plenty of actual, constructive criticism that no doubt is valuable.
Things like lawsuits, spamming every possible forum with cries of rage, or quite offensive comments however... that's just taking it step too far. It closes the possibility of dialogue between both sides and leads nowhere, benefiting no one.

TL;DR: Less pitchforks, more communication, from both sides, is a good way of making games better. We are the point where companies will be constantly poking and prodding to see how much they can get away with and it's our role to draw lines that shouldn't be crossed if we don't want to be seen as just naive bunch that will buy anything as long as it has shiny logo on it.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
I can realate a bit, not a big ME fan, but I am a big Lost fan. I'm actually watching for the third time now, and you know the worst thing about the ending to Lost, is that it overshadowed the 6th season, which is actually one of the best. So much is actually explained, and so much of it ties so neatly together and all that was instantly forgotten because some fans just didn't understand the ending... I mean how else could Lost end!

Anyway your displaying the same kinda reaction as I did at other peoples reactions, which is kinda the same problem as your complaining about. If you take one ME fan complaining about the ending, and add another dude complaining about the ME fan complaining, then all you have is 2 dudes complaining, they cancel eachother out. I just wish that videogame fans would behave a little more intelligently - we aren't teenage girls furfucksake, this isn't Twilight - and sorry to say it, but our opinions probably don't matter to anyone except ourselves. We have to accept the decisions made by developers and designers, we subscribed to hear the story they have come up with - if that story doesn't make our dreams come true, then we need to shorten our expectations, not go on a rant rampage that is frankly just embarassing. If you love something, accept it, or go onto something else - go play that Star Wars MMO if bitching about creators is your thing, leave single player games to those who can accept the conclusions. Being disappointed in a game ending is usually a good sign, it means that the other 99% of the game hit the spot. There are really crappy parts in all my favorite games and movies, there are crap songs on my favorite albums, we are not living in the Matrix, not everything can be perfect.

Apr 5, 2008
Terramax said:
As he mentions, people were pretty upset about the ending to the Lost TV series. Or how George Lucas milked the Star Wars franchise for all its worth. But surely these aren't examples of the fans of the said medium showing sophistication, rather the latter, that in many ways people reacted pretty childish or overzealously?

So my question is - what is the difference? Are people within the gaming community going too far? Or is this really a serious issue for the gaming community and industry?
I truthfully don't know and the indecision itself is bothersome. You have a point about childish reactions that from outside must appear frivolous, and from inside are...what? I'm not sure, but you must acknowledge that the fact it is such an issue in itself speaks volumes about what people really think.

If a film ended badly, that's just the way it ends and there's little to be done for it. If a book ends badly, fans will write fanfic in droves to correct it. With a game, it's harder than with a book but not impossible like the movie.

I'll admit that I was vastly disappointed by the ending...if you haven't seen it for yourself, you won't really understand but to put you in our shoes...you played ME1 5 years ago, BioWare's first game on the current gen platform. We had a sci-fi RPG with their own IP and an evolved cinematic story telling experience (created in KotOR and refined in JE). And it was brilliant. The promise of our choices being ours made us all the more invested. I have multiple playthrus just because I wanted to see what would have happened if...

Move forward to ME2, post-EA take over. The game becomes more 3rd person shooter than action RPG but the updated GFX, extended cast and the promise of seeing what happens next meant ME2 worked great. Again we had choices to make, large and small and again we were promised that all the myriad choices stored would in some way shape what was to come.

And then ME3 came. I will grant that the cast, combat, loot/upgrades, etc were all excellent. The story too is great. It was a little too "call of duty" for my liking (replete with obligatory on-rails turret scenes, "get to the LZ for evac" nonsense, etc) but each mission had an immediacy to it, an importance that kept us moving. The let down however was that most every decision we made to this point, irrespective of the difficulty at the time, the implications or moral dilemmas at the time became simply a "War Asset", a numerical value.

The ending was the ultimate expression of this. Instead of taking any (or even some) of those decisions into account and ending in such a way as to a) reflect any of it b) show us what actually happens to the galaxy or characters we get an "ending machine" like Deus Ex. All three lead to what is, for all intents and purposes, exactly same FMV with minor differences that says absolutely nothing.

So 5 years, multiple playthrus, engaging characters, moral choices and 100s of variables ends with a damp squib. And we know BioWare are better than that. They create incredible games and are masters of storytelling. They're also historically very good at making things fans like. They missed this one by a long way, letting themselves and the fans down.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I wouldn't say it's being taken too far, just that a lot of people are complaining in an incredibly immature way. Though the same can be said for those who don't dislike the ending too.

The actual cause itself I think we have every right to be pissed off, the product does not match the advertisement. On that grounds alone people are right to complain.

The fact that the ending is also full of plot holes has deus ex machina, poor writing, lack of closure, choices and goes against established lore just makes it even worse.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
.. Darn. I knew I got that wrong somehow since I never looked into Harry Potter (well I couldn't get into the books.. but the movies were good to see.) Still, sorry about that heh. Also glad it's not just me who sees thus- many feel heart broken and Bioware isn't making it any easier on us sadly. The point you made at the end is a very good one- I do believe they underestimated the fans love for Tali Mass Effect overall.

Think about it.. I recently gotten into Mass Effect maybe say a month ago and I changed my Avatar, title, and game favorites on Mass Effect. That's something, and I haven't gotten into it the whole 5 years most fans have done which I can tell it probably reflects on them much more then myself so it sucks ether way.

Still, we can't get over our heads. We can deal with it in a civil manner like donating to that Maradur Shields (totally spelled that wrong) charity for kids and e-mail Bioware or certain people who work their about our concerns. So yeah even though I support the fans fully for getting on Bioware we can't get so outraged that we snap at people who are okay with the ending. It's their opinion and so we shall respect (for the most of us to respect others anyway.)
Hey, time spent in a game does not mean anything. If you found such a deep connection in such a short time it only serves to prove that Mass Effect truly is the all encompasing behemoth of videogame story telling that fans have touted it to be. That's a great thing and I'm glad.

As sad as I was to see the passing of your Hanako/Rainbow Dash avatar, Tali is an arguably worthy replacement. So much love for Tali. I'm just thankful to Bioware for not ruining her character in ME3. As far as I'm concerned, the controversial picture of her face (that I did not get in my game) is just Tali's way of trolling Shepard.

I love Mass Effect 3. Many people will disagree but I felt it was the best game in the series. Ultimately it was a huge shout out to fans. There were many references to memes and popular elements of previous games (Shepard's dancing, favourite store on the citadel, Garrus' calibrations etc) Every character you could think of returned in some way and finished off their stories, most had grown and developed in ways we wouldn't have expected(Jack, anyone?) So esentially the majority of the game was perfect with regards to fans' expectations.

But that ending... Bioware really dropped the ball.

And the ending, in this case, is as important as the rest of the game, something Bioware really needs to realise. In the immortal words of Harbinger: "I know this hurts you, Shepard." Why yes, mighty synthetic overlord, yes it does.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Honestly i think the people taking this far too seriously are the ones harping about creativity and preserving artistic integrity and whatever other shit.

Bioware employs teams of writers. At least some of them are yaoi fan fiction writers who likely couldn't land a job in a more respectable medium such as film or infomercials.

Artistic integrity goes out the window as soon as you employ a group to write something. Say what you will about how inept Lucas is, at least his work had some semblance of stylistic consistency.

If a work of fiction's lead scifi writer quits before a series is done, and a fantasy writer butchers the work with their own liberties, is it too much to ask to fire the fantasy writer and find someone more fit to redo the work?

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
Sonic Doctor said:
The Pinray said:
OP, you are asking the right question on the WRONG website. You really think the people that frequent this site are going to say "Yes, it's out of control"? Not a shot against the users here, just an observation.
There are plenty of people on this sight that think it is out of control.

I've been saying it since I heard they started the Take Back Mass Effect charity lunacy. Yeah, the money goes to a good cause, but the reason behind it is insane.

Though really, I saw this coming back when all the nuts were complaining about the Day 1 DLC, and whining about things that were "leaked" from the script.

So, overreacting started way before launch, exploded, came back together and has exploded three more times since launch.

-1,000,000 faith points in the sanity of gamers today.
You're most certainly right. I just cast that out not realizing that the "It's gone too far" camp are just staying quiet, mostly. That or I'm simply not noticing them over all the proverbial shouting... I've been attempting to remain neutral through all of this, simply enjoying all the rage.

Funnily enough, I wasn't too pleased with the ending, either. But I just moved on to other things immediately. I see no reason for all this up in arms business and that ridiculous "Take Back Mass Effect" campaign. As you said: good cause, vapid reasoning. It's just a video game.

I think the gaming community as a whole needs to take a step back and view us all in a more objective light, or how others not within the niche see us as a community. I think that'd help us all mature and move past such petty sniveling.

But hey, maybe I'm the insane one for granting audience to such inklings.