Poll: ME3 - Aren't You Guys Rather Embarressed?

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
Definately worth "fighting" for, though we should be using our indoor voices and provide constructive criticism instead of insulting the people who poured more hours and hard work into the game than all of my playthroughs combined.

Apart from that, criticism in video games can and must be allowed. Art or not, video games are primarily produced for the enjoyment of the customer and the wallets of the people who make them. In a case like this, were the vast majority of the player base is dissatisfied with a certain aspect of the game, players are entitled to voiving their opinion - all within the usual range of acceptable behaviour, of course.

That said, I also believe that the people who have a stake in the actual creation of the game, especially whoever wrote the infamous ME3 ending, have done so fully believing that players all over the world would be thoroughly amazed and satisfied be the ending. These people are probably as much, if not more, disappointed as some of the players are.

Now Bioware has stated time and again that the series owes its high quality to a concentrated effort of developers and players alike, even having called the players the "co-writers" of the series; they've now taken what I think is a step in the right direction by asking the community for feedback. We all knew they were going to do DLC eventuelly, so why not use this opportunity to appease the customer? I'll continue being part of the discussion.

Doesn't mean that certain people don't need to get hosed down from time to time for unproductive behaviour and foul language.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Artist tells you he's going to paint you a picture of an apple
Pay for picture
Find out he gave you a picture of a fork
Ask him for a picture of an apple
He informs you that it's art and he's free to create whatever he wants
Tell him that forks are not what you wanted, and that he should paint you a picture of the apple you were promised
people call you entitled and childish

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
I'm not embarrassed, rewritten endings to stories/films & the likes happen all the time when the long standing consumers are far from happy with it. AS consumers of a product we can call balderdash when we are displeased with a product for qualitative reasons (which a lot of us are calling on). the less attached you were to the game series, the more tolerable the ending was; which is a bad thing.

I thought the Lost ending was good but I'd only seen a few episodes. Friend who had seen it all despised the ending.

I do, however, as I stated in a comment to Bioware "feel really bad after berating the games ending" when the co-founder stated he was embarrassed that so many disliked the ending to the best game he thought his team had ever done.

But it's the right thing, if we don't voice our displeasure how would things ever get better? It's a harsh jump in the learning curve for us all.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Do I feel embarressed? No not really.

It was a poor way to end a trilogy, filled to the brim with plotholes and broken promises, probably permanently damaging the relation bioware had with some of its costumers.

Even if they were to make a new ending now, it would ring insincere because the people will remember the botched ending.

That FTC thing or whatever it's called was a tad silly though, but I admit to being curious to how it would have gone had they seen it trough.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Bioware should be embarrassed about that ending.

It felt totally unfinished and vague and wasn't up to the quality of the series at all.

Most people I have seen on forums have been constructive and very clear about what they found wrong with the ending and haven't been whiny at all. I have also seen very few people if any ask for a 'happy' ending. Most are okay with the ending we got as long as it was explained better.

Mass Effect 3 is an amazing game and I feel for the guy because its a gem, it really is, but they dropped the ball at the end spectacularly.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Denamic said:
DoPo said:
I feel some gamers just hated ME3's ending because they wanted to hate ME3 for something.
Except that the people who truly hate the endings are the people that love Mass Effect.
It was such a fantastic story that needed a good ending.
Note that I don't necessarily mean a 'happy' ending, just one that does the story justice.
But as the endings are, they just take a massive shit on everything you've done up to this point.
Everything you've ever done in any of the Mass Effect games amounts to squat.
You don't even get any choices in the final dialogue, Sheppard just blindly agrees with the bullshit.
My Sheppard would have punched the fucker 4 sentences in.

Imagine doing everything right in Mass Effect 2, gained all upgrades, every squadmate loyal, etc.
And then, no matter what you do, everyone dies on the final mission and the collectors win. The end.
And the sad thing?
That that would actually be a better ending than what ME3 has.
Keyword "some", in case you missed it. Or do I have to spell out each and every option instead of rely on people's ability to understand when I'm not talking about every single gamer.

OK, here it goes - I feel some gamers just hated ME3's ending because they wanted to hate ME3 for something. Some other gamers didn't though. They might have had legitimate reasons to don't like it. Which I also pointed out in my previous post. Others still may have hated the ending because it didn't conform to their vision of how things should go. And others probably didn't like the game but saw all the rage over the ending and decided to join with the crowd just because badmouthing things can be fun and it's even better if there are people to support you. And so on and so forth.

It is not a black and white issue - people don't like the exact same thing for different reasons. For some it's justified for others not so much. If only we could have more of the sensible people...

But back to you - I have a small request: instead of completely missing my point could you try...not doing it?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Veldt Falsetto said:
I'm other because, while the ending is full of plot-holes and doesn't fit with the tone of the entire series, it's not worth fighting for. Good for you if you think Mass Effect is the best game series of all time but if this is Bioware's vision for the end then it's Bioware's decision to make it that way and we shouldn't change that.
You make it sound like BioWare is a person with a unified and clear vision of how the game should have ended.

In fact, though, BioWare's writers were debating back and forth how they were going to end the game, since they were forced to rewrite it after the original script leaked.

In November they still hadn't come up with a better ending, so the lead writer supposedly vetoed the other writers and pushed through the contradictory crap we got.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Its sad that we have to compromise the idea of games as art by making them change it, but most people will agree that it isn't the artistic direction they took thats the problem- its that the ending feels sloppy, half finished, and just a blemish on an otherwise excellent piece of work. If the weird end was at least competently made, and conveyed all the points it needed to, then I'd have been happy, as I'm sure would most people. But it wasnt, so thats why they now have to take it back and do it properly.

Ninjafire72

Feb 27, 2011
A Weakgeek said:
I have no trouble with bitching, people do that all the time. But asking for a different ending, even if the exsisting one is the worst pile of crap ever invented, is vile. It was the writers vision, you have no right to demand anything else. The PR department lied to you, well too bad, learn from your mistakes and dont believe any of this bullshit when the first spinoff Masseffect comes around.

Even if the ending was made to sell you dlc, they still shouldnt change it. Its a fucking disgusting practise but you got suckered in, if you hadnt preordered maybe you would have known before buying. Talk with your wallets people! DONT BUY THE DLC WHEN IT COMES OUT! That will only encourage EA and Bioware to do this in the future, and if you cant resist not buying this dlc and say "I wont buy any Bioware games... after this" you are lying to yourself.
That's about the dumbest ting I've ever read. I'm sorry, but people are dis-satisfied with something and your response is that it's our own stupid fault, and we should just ignore it? If everyone did that, nothing would change:
"NY Crime rate is rising? Just ignore it." "Colonel Gadafi is being evil? Just ignore it." "The Southern states of America are using black people as slaves? Just ignore it."
Based on what you said the NY police department, the Lybian rioters and George Washington are all 'vile' people for wanting change and are stupid to try fighting. See what I'm getting at here?

Being apathetic never solves anything, and as others have said shouting for boycotts rarely work unless properly organised. I'm not really happy about the whole whining business either, but if people are unhappy with something (or better yet, if they were LIED TO) then they have every right to raise their voice and try and make a difference.

Better than just sitting there determinedly not buying anything.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Oh, and I might not have the right to demand that Mass Effect 3's ending is changed...

But I certainly do have the right to voice how the ending makes me distrust the company, and unless they prove that they truly care about their fans I simply won't gamble on buying another BioWare game.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
DoPo said:
Denamic said:
DoPo said:
I feel some gamers just hated ME3's ending because they wanted to hate ME3 for something.
Except that the people who truly hate the endings are the people that love Mass Effect.
It was such a fantastic story that needed a good ending.
Note that I don't necessarily mean a 'happy' ending, just one that does the story justice.
But as the endings are, they just take a massive shit on everything you've done up to this point.
Everything you've ever done in any of the Mass Effect games amounts to squat.
You don't even get any choices in the final dialogue, Sheppard just blindly agrees with the bullshit.
My Sheppard would have punched the fucker 4 sentences in.

Imagine doing everything right in Mass Effect 2, gained all upgrades, every squadmate loyal, etc.
And then, no matter what you do, everyone dies on the final mission and the collectors win. The end.
And the sad thing?
That that would actually be a better ending than what ME3 has.
Keyword "some", in case you missed it. Or do I have to spell out each and every option instead of rely on people's ability to understand when I'm not talking about every single gamer.

OK, here it goes - I feel some gamers just hated ME3's ending because they wanted to hate ME3 for something. Some other gamers didn't though. They might have had legitimate reasons to don't like it. Which I also pointed out in my previous post. Others still may have hated the ending because it didn't conform to their vision of how things should go. And others probably didn't like the game but saw all the rage over the ending and decided to join with the crowd just because badmouthing things can be fun and it's even better if there are people to support you. And so on and so forth.

It is not a black and white issue - people don't like the exact same thing for different reasons. For some it's justified for others not so much. If only we could have more of the sensible people...

But back to you - I have a small request: instead of completely missing my point could you try...not doing it?
Wow, hello Mr. Irony.
Before making sardonic 'requests' for me to not miss your point, you might want to make sure you're not the one that's actually doing it.

Jaidenator

Dec 27, 2010
I was all like, these people must really not like the ending. Huh, I wonder why.
*FINISHES GAME* WHERE'S MY CHAINSAWWWWWW ----- RAAAAAAAAGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

2012, the year Bioware completely exceeded our expectations in Gameplay but not Story. Opposite year, Never forget.

smokeyninjas

Apr 5, 2010
The ending is complete & utter nonsensically bullshit it deserved better so glad i stood strong & didn't even buy the game due to the origin only bullshit.
Am sure i would be a lot more pissed off if i'd paid for that shit instead of just playing it over a mates.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
If you order food X because it has Y on it from a Restaurant, but it doesn't with Y; you are allowed to complain.

If you buy anything else because it has Y feature to it, but when you get it Y features are non available, you are allowed to complain.

But if a game company promises that the game will have Y; we are not allowed to complain because we are to respect the "artistic merits" of the developer?

EAWare has just hit critical mass with their shenanigans:
∙ Day One Premium DLC of a race that is critically-center to the lore of the game.
∙ An ending that makes no sense, there is no lead up too, and blind sides the player with inconsistencies.
∙ And if the ending is to make any type of sense, it requires the logic leap that its just a dream sequence; so yea, what a way to end perhaps the most invested in trilogy since the original Star Wars.
∙ And they don't even have the decency to end the dream sequence with a unique ending, its a straight up Deus Ex -- 3 choice ending in the final minutes of the game.
∙ There are bad endings, and then there are bad ass-pulled making shit up at the 11th hour bad endings.

TheJesus89

Aug 4, 2011
We have over 10 years of Star Wars fans bitching about an entire 3 movies.

Yet we're the childish ones for bitching about an ending.

Anybody else see something wrong with that?

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
ME3 feels like a hasty cash-in rather than the epic finale we've all come to expect. All the choices we've made over the trilogy are just a generic numeric value added up to whether or not one thing happens. Would have liked to see finite details fleshing out our decisions, but it looks like they just wanted to save time and re-skin an ending three times. Yeah, we deserved to be a little pissed, especially at 80$? I want my money back.

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
A Weakgeek said:
But asking for a different ending, even if the existing one is the worst pile of crap ever invented, is vile.
Why the f*ck is it "vile"? You do realize that movies work that way? Test screenings? One example is Deep Blue Sea where the female scientist was supposed to survive but test audiences were shouting for her to die.

Games aren't art, they're products. Products, in the capitalistic little world we live in, the rage of ME fans is the ultimate expression of logic. It is the right, no, the duty, of the customer to make sure that something sub par is changed or kicked off the market.

Hopefully that means no more Bioware in a few years as they've gone from excellent to pure shit*shrugs*

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
No, not ashamed at all.
Are you ashamed when you go to a car dealer that sold you a 'New' car with 20K Km on it, broken radio and chips all over the floor?
Are you ashamed when you go up to the server people at Macca's and ask them to make you a new burger as you asked for no sauce and no pickles, but they put extra sauce and extra pickles on instead?

If you're not ashamed about pointing out flaws in other faulty products, or being lied to about what you were buying with other products - why is a game any different?
Because its art?
The second you sell commissioned art, you need to be ready to accept a complaint if you made it wrong. ME3 wasn't made in a garage for fun, it was made to be sold and earn EA money, and to please the fans so that it would earn EA money. If the fans aren't pleased, then Bioware has failed in its duty to EA to create something the fans like.
Because its a game, and we shouldn't take that seriously?
What the hell kind of a point is that? We shouldn't take it seriously because its a game? If we, gamers, don't take games seriously - how can we expect anyone else to? We need to take games seriously to get others to take them seriously. Until that happens, nothing changes.
Because fans are acting entitled?
No, we're not. We're outlining clearly what Bioware needs to do to keep us as customers. In a way, they are acting entitled. Entitled to our undying love and money. If we don't like their game, we should still buy their DLC and other games because their entitled to that, so they don't need to fix anything. No. We as fans choose where we take our money. In the aforementioned car scenario, would you go back to that dealer if they did that to you twice, and not bother trying to get an actual new car? I doubt it. We are telling Bioware that to keep our money coming in to them, they've got to fix the endings. They don't do that, and we ARE entitled to take our money elsewhere.

There is NOTHING to be embarrassed about with this movement. Some legal professionals are taking the whole FTC complaint seriously - it DOES fall under their jurisdiction, and they need to decide whether they think dev promises such as 'Its not like normal games where you can say you got ending A, B or C' are specific enough to be applied in these terms. Personally, I think that's pretty specific: No ending A, B or C - an utter lie. Wait! We get ending Red Blue Green instead. Personally, I hope the FTC accept this as an alright principle, on the grounds of the specific quotes only. Specific things promised pre-release should be delivered upon, or we should be told that they won't be delivered upon. I, and many others, bought this under the assumption we would not get ending A, B or C, but something unique to our Shepard that honoured our choices. We were led to believe this thanks to more than a few specific dev quotes, and we were lied to. I won't be outraged if the FTC doesn't set the precedent here - it may see it as too intrusive as to how much game devs can talk up their game - and I'll respect that. It isn't way out left field though. None of this protest is. We ordered a product, and it was not properly delivered. We have a right and a responsibility to complain. If we don't, it sets a precedent for devs to make whatever they want and crap all over pre order sales. Say the next CoD is the fastest and biggest of them all, the best FPS you'll ever play, then release a turn based tactical shooter. I don't want to live in a world where that is acceptable.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
evilneko said:
No. The rage is justified, in my opinion. It all boils down to something very basic: people were told throughout the series they were getting X, and X was a major selling point, and they got Y instead.

Any consumer would rightly be miffed.
Miffed, yes. Forthing like a rabid dog? That's quite frankly retarded.