[spoiler/]
and what does this come under?

[/spoiler]
Those both more like trance/industrial metal to me. :p
hmm..thanks

anyway thoe are the originals...the two I have on my ipod are remixes

At_The_Gates

Feb 7, 2012
The metal culture is sort of like a religion that has had numerous schisms. There is literally a subculture for each subgenre of metal who's members may get along just fine with members of other groups or may view other groups as heretics, and yes I know how strange that sounds in multiple ways.

Live your own life. Listen to the music you want to. Don't worry about what others think of it. Eat your vegetables. And most importantly your music sucks ya fucking heretic.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
At_The_Gates said:
Live your own life. Listen to the music you want to. Don't worry about what others think of it. Eat your vegetables. And most importantly your music sucks ya fucking heretic.
Enter grindpunk. Or popgrind. Or anything else, really. They're not proper labels, for the folks involved don't give a damn about labels. It's something somebody made up to create a little chest of drawers made of empty cartons that used to contain happy pills.

<youtube=2hlcSCssYL4>

Too bad they are no longer actively creating beautiful stuff like that.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009

I can't stress enough, the progressive stuff is some of the best music out there right now.

EDIT: Realized that more than half of these are "plurals" bands. Totally unintentional.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
To me it's kind of a four prong problem that really makes it hard for me to enjoy that subgenre.

1) In a lot of what I've heard there's not much sense of fluidity and that makes the songs really hard to follow.

2) The songs also largely follow the same formula with a clean vocal opening, shouted verses, clean chorus, breakdown, end and while there's nothing inherently wrong with utilizing formulas that work, they do get boring if you're not going to bother using those formulas to experiment with something else. Between the Buried and Me seems to be one of the few bands that falls under this genre tag that actually does this, although I find their stuff falls more into the Mr. Bungle style of experimentation, which is thrown whatever at the wall and see what sticks.

3) The fans. This one is the most personal and interchangeable, and while I'm not going to say all metalcore fans are like this, from my own personal observations at shows and CD stores, they tend to be the most obnoxious and least courteous in the pit. When I was at a Hatebreed show a few years back, I lost track of the amount of time people were purposefully pushed down, which just isn't cool, if you're in a pit and someone falls down, you get them back up, that shouldn't need explaining. Other instances were more of the loud "bro" personality which just made them a joy to be around. Again I just want to reiterate I'm not saying all metalcore fans are like this, but I've seen it enough that I now skip all metalcore shows that roll through town unless one of the opening acts is something that I really want to see.

4) Lastly, it just kind of seems to be this Frankenstein-genre, taking bits and pieces of other genres that are a bit more abrasive and edgy, and making them safe enough to put on a shirt and sell it at the mall. I am aware of how douchey and elitist that sounds and I'm willing to own up to both of those things.

Feb 22, 2009
Nope. I'm more into black metal, drone metal, post-metal, industrial metal and prog metal, personally. And a bit of thrash I guess. That said I do like one metalcore band, Architects. But other than that it's just too formulaic to be interesting to me.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
chimpzy said:
There is no such thing as good genres of music. Nor are there bad genres of music. There are only genres you like and those you don't like. Artists you like and those you don't. Anyone who arbitrarily denounces a whole genre simply hasn't looked long enough. Still haven't found one genre that doesn't have at least one artist I like.

That said, metalcore is not my favorite because it has comparatively few artists I like compared to, say, jazz fusion, which has a lot of stuff I enjoy. I do like most mathcore though.
It's interesting that you mention jazz fusion because there are similarities in some of the progressive metal and jazz fusion.

Hyenatempest

Feb 9, 2013
I really hate to classify music, it's too abstract. It's easier to stick with macro genres like metal and punk and pop or whatever, and then compare bands to similar artists. That's my opinion anyway.

To to the topic at hand however, I will say this much. I'm fairly certain In Flames is considered metalcore. They are easily one of my favorite bands of all time. I love The jester's race album, The mirrors truth and even soundtrack to your escape.

As for nu metal, which seems to be sparking alot of hate as well. I know I like dark new day, specifically twelve year silence. More specifically brother, evergreen, fill me again and follow the sun down. I don't really like korn or any of the other artists I see labeled as nu metal.

I am by no means qualified for making grand, sweeping statements about music genres, or anything of that sort, so instead this is simply my opinions and tastes about what little I know.

Hyenatempest

Feb 9, 2013
Milk said:
Hyenatempest said:
To to the topic at hand however, I will say this much. I'm fairly certain In Flames is considered metalcore. They are easily one of my favorite bands of all time.
Nope.

In Flames are a Melodic Death Metal band. They're actually considered one of the pioneers of the genre.
I have a hard time classifying music. Either way, I love in flames and prefer to judge music per artist.