Poll: Metroid: Other M killed Samus

sargeant15

Oct 29, 2009
Not sure if you guys have heard about this, but some girl from IGN wrote an article on how Metroid: Other M ruined Samus.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/112/1122068p1.html

Morgan Webb from G4 basically said the same thing.

Thoughts?

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Ruined? No, it added character to an otherwise uninteresting character.

Other M made the series much more interesting and I hope to see more Metroid titles like it.

Arella18

Apr 22, 2009
They think that because most people loved the fact that Samus was kind of a mysterious character and think that this game took away alot of that mystery.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Yes and no. They tried to humanize her, but they didn't do it well. They attempted to make her seem like a fragile creature who only does what's necessary in cutscenes, but during gameplay might as well be the mute murderess counterpart to Master Chief.

It's not that it ruined, or killed Samus at all. They just tried to characterize her half way.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Having not played the game, but having watched the cutscenes on YouTube. The answer's no.

But I agree with the article. Samus's characterization in that game is beyond horrible, but it's far from franchise-killing. But only as long as they declare that stuff non-canon.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
HAHA. No. No it didn't.
It's just that Nintendo can't win when you think about it. People wanted Nintendo to add voice acting and emotion to their franchises. They listen and the fans hate it.
LeonLethality said:

Other M made the series much more interesting and I hope to see more Metroid titles like it.
Thank you.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
HAHA. No. No it didn't.
It's just that Nintendo can't win when you think about it. People wanted Nintendo to add voice acting and emotion to their franchises. They listen and the fans hate it.
LeonLethality said:

Thank you.
Glad I saved you a bit of opinion typing. It's sad how fickle many fans can be, the same fans who praised OoT as the best game ever and comparing every following Zelda game to it saying they were not as good criticized Twilight Princess for trying to be like OoT. I kinda feel bad for Nintendo, no matter how much they listen to their fans they just can't seem to please them.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Also...I'll add that it was written by a woman. But more importantly, a feminist. This sounded nearly identical to the same person that wrote the 2/5 review about Samus' character instead of the game. And reading the 1,000+ comments about that article, about 90% of the comment posters have countered her.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Where is the "Bitchy Gamers might have a point, but blow it way out of proportion" Option?

Seriously, given how largely undefined the character was in the past, i can't really care that she is suddenly whiny and obedient.

She's kinda like Boba Fett this way....

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Twas different to see her talking after having her be a silent protagonist for years. But i think that it helped give a bit more depth to the game and made Samus a bit interesting for me to see.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Oh god, when I clicked on that link it brought me to an ad, and there was a button above it that said "Continue to killing samus."

._.

Anyways, yah, I think she should have stayed as a silent protagonist. It made her seem more enigmatic in my view. And I flat out don't like Adam, for somewhat obvious reasons.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah, I think they pretty badly brutalised the character. Most long running series have a less than reputable game under their belt, so I don't think they killed her, but I think it was a little embarrassing, to be honest. There were ways to handle the fact that she is actually a human with a personality that do NOT involve reducing her into a scared little child who can't even fight Ridley, a monster she has killed 4 times previously. It was just completely out of character (and don't say she didn't have a character before, silent protagonists have personality through their actions, not their words)

If Samus was going to have a maternal side, it should have been more like her closest relative - Ellen Ripley, badassedness incarnate from the Aliens movies.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
No.
What Other M did was add more character to a Character in a not so great way.

By the end of the Game Samus is the same as she was in the others, Ready to Kick ass.
The implementation of it was off but it didn't kill her.
A lot of the "Samus Killing Scenes" are Blown WAYYYYYYY out of Proportion.
She is in shock for all of 2 minutes before she proceeds to SHOVE HER CANNON DOWN HIS THROAT.

An a lot of people are just upset that the Samus they envisioned in their own head was not the one shown.

All in all, it was bad characterization but it didn't kill her, some did help and she still becomes the Samus we know and love.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
She does kind of have lines before "Other M".
Fusion and Super both have monologue bits, and she actually does talk a little in fusion.

TLatshaw

Aug 30, 2010
A single game can't "ruin" a character. Neither can several: Just ask Sonic.

If a certain title portrays a character unfavorably to a player, the bright spot is that the next game may be completely different. I don't see why some people have so much difficulty viewing Other M as another director's interpretation of a character.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
I'm currently replaying Metroid Fusion, and I'm realizing that Samus isn't the emotionless, hard, unfeeling character people remember her as. Yes, she isn't as bad as (what I've heard) Other M's Samus is like, but she does have a fairly emotional side to her. Sure she still is a badass, but she's human. However, I never really thought about it in-game as she was, to me, mostly just my avatar in the world she inhabited.

The article however seems to be a bit extreme. It "killed" Samus? Really? [sub][sub]I would have said the manga did that [/sub][/sub] One bad game made by a different developer =/= "WAH! CHARACTER IS RUINED FOREVER! WAH!" [sub] especially when said character has been largely undefined for the longest period of time [/sub]

What I would say about Other M however, is that it should be an example to not try to define Nintendo Classic types of characters (strangely, Master Chief fits this bill, and yet he's better in the books than in the games. Go figure). Everyone's Link is different, as is everyone's Mario. Sure they share certain aspects, but those are more of the skeleton of the character, which is what the player builds off of.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Delock said:
[sub][sub]I would have said the manga did that [/sub][/sub]
Woah woah woah.
Now, i know you are just kidding....right?
I thought the manga was extremely well written and fit Samus as it was her just starting out.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
How is "Bringing some life to" the same as "Killing"?

Personally i thought the game's story line made Samus a much more interesting and engaging character. She was suddenly a person, not just a silent chick in a suit the went around space, killing space pirates and aliens.

Sure, it was an interesting concept back on the days of the NES and SNES, but we demand more story telling these days and adding some depth to a character was just what the franchise needed if you ask me.