Poll: Metroid: Other M killed Samus

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
LeonLethality said:
Ruined? No, it added character to an otherwise uninteresting character.

Other M made the series much more interesting and I hope to see more Metroid titles like it.
Samus before Other M was Nintendo's Boba Fett. Silent. Deadly. We knew so little, but what we did know was gold and it really helped the character feel subtle, interesting and superhuman.

Other M turns her into a monotone wimp, neglects her Chozo heritage and drastically reduces her badass level.

However, I can't see Nintendo repeating this mistake because it seems to be one of the major complaints with the game.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
This argument is idiotic. Where does it state that Samus is a cold blooded ***** that eats testicles for lunch? Actually, moviebob said it better than me: http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-40-Heavens-to-Metroid

It made a one dimensional character third dimensional and suddenly that is a bad thing? Are we really that accustomed to the emotionless angry fuckheads that wouldn't smile even if they won a billion dollars while getting sucked off by Angelina Jolie and watching "insert hilarious movie title here" that we can't accept any other character archetype?

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
LeonLethality said:
Aura Guardian said:
HAHA. No. No it didn't.
It's just that Nintendo can't win when you think about it. People wanted Nintendo to add voice acting and emotion to their franchises. They listen and the fans hate it.
LeonLethality said:

Other M made the series much more interesting and I hope to see more Metroid titles like it.
Thank you.
Glad I saved you a bit of opinion typing. It's sad how fickle many fans can be, the same fans who praised OoT as the best game ever and comparing every following Zelda game to it saying they were not as good criticized Twilight Princess for trying to be like OoT. I kinda feel bad for Nintendo, no matter how much they listen to their fans they just can't seem to please them.
What's funny is that these people that write these articles NEVER remember Zero Mission,Fusion and Super Metroid. Pathetic. And they call themselves fans

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
TheGreenManalishi said:
LeonLethality said:

Samus before Other M was Nintendo's Boba Fett. Silent. Deadly. We knew so little, but what we did know was gold and it really helped the character feel subtle, interesting and superhuman.

Other M turns her into a monotone wimp, neglects her Chozo heritage and drastically reduces her badass level.

However, I can't see Nintendo repeating this mistake because it seems to be one of the major complaints with the game.
She was a boring personality-less character before this, all we knew was what we filled in the blanks with. Now that they are giving her a personality we are saying it's not hers even though she never had one to begin with. You say it turned her in to something when she could have just been this way all along with us not knowing because they never characterized her before.

Also, monotone? What? Remember the
scene where Adam goes on his suicide mission?
I saw a lot of emotion there. The opposite of monotone.

Wimp? I'm sure fighting off alien creatures who can tear someone to shreds counts as the opposite of a wimp.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
LeonLethality said:
TheGreenManalishi said:
LeonLethality said:

She was a boring personality-less character before this, all we knew was what we filled in the blanks with. Now that they are giving her a personality we are saying it's not hers even though she never had one to begin with. You say it turned her in to something when she could have just been this way all along with us not knowing because they never characterized her before.

Also, monotone? What? Remember the
*spoiler warning* scene where Adam goes on his suicide mission? I saw a lot of emotion there.
The opposite of monotone.

Wimp? I'm sure fighting off alien creatures who can tear someone to shreds counts as the opposite of a wimp.
A nice little fix

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Gigaguy64 said:
Delock said:
[sub][sub]I would have said the manga did that [/sub][/sub]
Woah woah woah.
Now, i know you are just kidding....right?
I thought the manga was extremely well written and fit Samus as it was her just starting out.
I really couldn't get into it, and I at least tried very hard to do so. It just kept annoying me for some reason as I read it, and eventually gave up on it. Maybe it was just the scanlated version, so I'll see about reading it in stores if I see it again, but from what I've seen, I really didn't like it.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Delock said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Delock said:
[sub][sub]I would have said the manga did that [/sub][/sub]
Woah woah woah.
Now, i know you are just kidding....right?
I thought the manga was extremely well written and fit Samus as it was her just starting out.
I really couldn't get into it, and I at least tried very hard to do so. It just kept annoying me for some reason as I read it, and eventually gave up on it. Maybe it was just the scanlated version, so I'll see about reading it in stores if I see it again, but from what I've seen, I really didn't like it.
I guess it just depends on what your into.
I LOVED Fusion because it added a bit more story and introduced characters that were important to Samus, IE Adam.
So i loved the manga because it gave some insight into her just starting out as a Hunter and showed her come to terms with some of her Problems.
Plus the Art was really good IMO.
What didn't you like about it though?

Its almost the same thing with Other M.
Some things really work IMO, like Adam and Even Ridly.
I like like the Linear Aspect.
I like actually KNOWING what im supposed to do instead of wandering around for a few hours until i stumble on a boss or power.
But because of its Placement in the timeline it doesn't work that well.
And Samus's Monologues don't help either.

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
LeonLethality said:

Also, monotone? What? Remember the scene where
Adam goes on his suicide mission?

As for the monotone thing, I'll give you that particular scene, but the large majority of the game had nothing but her droning on about the baby metroid and her elektra complex for Adam.

And she's made more wimpy, nay, more human when she
freezes in front of Ridley

Samus isn't human. She's got Chozo blood. Plus she's beat that particular boss and bigger ones multiple times already. I know there was that article on how it's an accurate example of PTSD but I don't think Nintendo were putting that much thought into it.

Each player filling in the blanks makes the character more fluid and dynamic, but thanks to the manga, there are no gaps to be filled. The manga never prtrays samus as anything less than a superwoman raised by Chozo. Other M shows her to be the opposite in the cutscenes.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Souplex said:
She does kind of have lines before "Other M".
Fusion and Super both have monologue bits, and she actually does talk a little in fusion.
THANK GOD!! Someone else remembers that. You and Gigaguy64 seemed to have played Fusion.

Zeetchmen

Aug 17, 2009
Ruined is a good word, I want my strong and silent Samus back not the new cry-baby dependent on a man one.

Damn your rampant sexism japan!

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Yes it ruined Samus, it made her look like this uncertain rookie so late in the series. She questioned everything she did, she whined about everything else and was too scared to fight Ridley? The thing she has killed 4 times already? The game was full of plot holes, uninteresting characters, made Samus look like a tool.

The people who defend this choice confuse me, it's not about looking back on old games through nostalgia fogged glasses, it's simply she was raised as a warrior, worked with the military, killed an entire race of super weapons, fought off countless space pirates, killed THEIR LEADER, she even came to kill Ridely 4 times, the guy who killed her family! And she's uncertain and cautious about her actions? She's too scared to fight Ridley again?? Well that's in cut scenes in the game she's killing things God of War style!

Even the gameplay was really altered to the point it felt like another game. I honestly don't get the weird fanboyish defense for this game, I love Metroid games all the same but that doesn't change glaring flaws. Especially in a game so hell bent on story it doesn't even do a good job of consistency. Hell even in Fusion she was focused, calculating and was very ready. She knew what had to be done and did it. Oh and the freeze pistol taking out her varia suit, that little bit just annoyed me, some low-tech pistol disables her armor while super plasma beams, lasers, heavy impacts don't? The weakest excuse I heard was "She wasn't expecting it" then Samus needs to look into better shields because that's what shields are for.

I enjoyed the game for what it was but it was not-cannon for me in any way, the story was plot-hole ridden and took a lot from fusion but fell flat on it's face

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
TheGreenManalishi said:
LeonLethality said:

Also, monotone? What? Remember the scene where
Adam goes on his suicide mission?

As for the monotone thing, I'll give you that particular scene, but the large majority of the game had nothing but her droning on about the baby metroid and her elektra complex for Adam.

Samus isn't human. She's got Chozo blood. Plus she's beat that particular boss and bigger ones multiple times already. I know there was that article on how it's an accurate example of PTSD but I don't think Nintendo were putting that much thought into it.

Each player filling in the blanks makes the character more fluid and dynamic, but thanks to the manga, there are no gaps to be filled. The manga never prtrays samus as anything less than a superwoman raised by Chozo. Other M shows her to be the opposite in the cutscenes.
Samus may not be human but she has emotions and who's to say they were not thinking that much in to it, it seemed intentional to me.

People shouldn't have to fill in the blanks for a character, especially a main character. Filling in the blanks proved her to be a flat and boring character instead of a dynamic one.

As for the manga, video games and manga/other media, especially on Nintendo's part seem to be non cannon, take a look at the Zelda manga for example.

Browbeat

Jul 21, 2009
I've heard a similar yarn about the new incarnations of silver-screen Batman and the new James Bond. The issues involves incorporating new moral frailties into established characters known for their determination in the face of chaos. Assigning uncomfortable doubts into their plotlines that seem asinine compared to previously established psych profiles seems like needless pandering to existing fans, but the 'humanization' is a touch used to bring in an audience who perhaps considered the existing canon to be too one-dimensional.

I don't feel it's the best way to go, but if it adds depth (or at least some fan-angering contrition), I feel it lends something to a character.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
LeonLethality said:
Samus may not be human but she has emotions and who's to say they were not thinking that much in to it, it seemed intentional to me.

People shouldn't have to fill in the blanks for a character, especially a main character. Filling in the blanks proved her to be a flat and boring character instead of a dynamic one.

As for the manga, video games and manga/other media, especially on Nintendo's part seem to be non cannon, take a look at the Zelda manga for example.
Just watch what this user posted...
Russian_Assassin said:
This argument is idiotic. Where does it state that Samus is a cold blooded ***** that eats testicles for lunch? Actually, moviebob said it better than me: http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-40-Heavens-to-Metroid

It made a one dimensional character third dimensional and suddenly that is a bad thing? Are we really that accustomed to the emotionless angry fuckheads that wouldn't smile even if they won a billion dollars while getting sucked off by Angelina Jolie and watching "insert hilarious movie title here" that we can't accept any other character archetype?
And I thank you for that man.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
TheGreenManalishi said:

Well, the last time she killed Ridly in Super Metroid(Not Counting the Primes as Sakamoto sees them as more of a Side story) she thought she had killed him for good.
So him appearing in a completely unexpected place after she obliterated him would have been shocking and drug up some bad memories.
So to me its somewhat understandable but still not really needed.
and Samus is still Human with Chozo DNA as a Enhancement.

I still saw heaps of emotion in the Manga.
It shows Samus as a young women raised by foster parents who helped her overcome in life.
The Chozo only Altered her Genetics to let her survive on their home planet.
They did nothing to her mind, except love and support her and train her to fight.
And they were trying to add more characterization in a different way.
And not many people have actually read or even care about the Cannon Manga.
: /

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Zeetchmen said:
Ruined is a good word, I want my strong and silent Samus back not the new cry-baby dependent on a man one.

Damn your rampant sexism japan!
De pendant? She was taking orders from him due to the situation she was in and his past status to her. There is a difference between following orders and being dependent right?

That's pretty damn racist to say Japan as a whole is sexist.