Poll: Military Jargon in Games

nick_knack

Jul 16, 2008
thepopeofatheism said:
"Over and out" always bugs me. You can't be both over and out.
FUCKING YES!

FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE WHO KNOWS THAT!

I like the jargon when its used properly. Unfortunately, having been in cadets, I find myself slightly bothered every time it isn't.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Spiner909 said:
And the stupid one: When storming the Gulag from the air, you can hear the jets pilots say "FOX 3!" Which is an actual term. Then the helicopters come in and bellow "GUNS GUNS GUNS!" and shoot everything in sight. Do they really say that?
As long as mission control is up to speed on what's going on, they can say whatever the hell they want. It's not professional, but there are tank commanders in Afghanistan who blast ghetto rap while taking out Al Qaeda outposts. As long as the mission gets done, you can have a little fun (or something to that extent).

The Cheezy One said:
thats operation flashpoint right?
No, that's Modern Warfare 2. The realism of the jargon was offset by my squad's ability to tank anything and everything without so much as flinching (Sgt. Foley literally ran up to an enemy sentry gun and just stood there absorbing bullets while I tried to laze it).

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
The first time I heard Oscar Mike, I was confused but thought it was kinda cool. Then I heard it the other 529 times...

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
Most of the time, no, I don't really appreciate it, especially when it's longer and more complicated than normal English. However, there's just something fun about saying/hearing 'Hostile slick inbound' (Bf2)

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
When it's done well, It's great. If not, it's crap.

In "Homeworld 2: Tactical Fleet Simulator" jargon is used to explain the weapon loadout on each ship, frighter etc. The mod comes with a manual explaining what each acronym means, so you read it once and then you know what the hell the game means when it says the FFC Assault Craft is armed with a SPRAM-20 launcher.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
thepopeofatheism said:
"Over and out" always bugs me. You can't be both over and out.
As a former Communications soldier, I can tell you that "Over and Out" was occasionally used by the older officers. It is one of those things that was used once upon a time but has since fallen into disuse.
It was also used as a sort of "I don't have anything more to say, but if you want to tell us more go ahead". With that being said, we did try to avoid using it, if only because the 50% of the officers that didn't use it looked down upon it and usually was in CO positions.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
The Cheezy One said:
Spiner909 said:
For the 'cool' example: "Hunter 2-1, this is Overlord, hostiles spotted south of your location, recommend you use thermal optics, over."
thats operation flashpoint right?
most of the time its cool, but sometimes you can tell they are just shoving it in for the crack
in MW, i got the idea that they were actually using it, because of the mix of military and normal speaking. rather than loads of games that make almost all one or all another
No, thats actually MW2.

EDIT: I've been ninja'd. Damn it.

ElTigreSantiago

Apr 23, 2009
I disagree about Flashpoint. I loved it when you said "This is what you joined the Corps for! Get some, Marines! GO GO GO!". It did have some personality. But when you gave movement orders you sounded like a robot.

I like it in most games but it was dumb at some parts in Modern Warfare 2. You don't need to say "We're Oscar Mike" when you only have like 2 guys with you.

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
Khitten said:
That really is my opinion of it. If you are not going to give us a tutorial explaining what they mean then just stick with call signs and proper english mother fuckers!
You are one bad mother-dude man.

Jargon I think should be explained in the tutorial mission at least. Otherwise it's assuming we know wtf charli-bravo means.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
mrbones228 said:
"we're Oscar Mike"

Is one of my favorite lines in modern warfare... don't ask why.
And in Operation Flashpoint 2 as well =D
Doesn't it mean on the move?

Jan 23, 2009
You know, I asked a relative of mine this christmas who's in the navy, what "Oscar Mike" meant, in the military. He had no idea what I was talking about.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
My personal opinion: Hilarious when used incorrectly!

Oscar Mike == On Mission

It'd also be a great choice to name your kid if you have a surname that begins with G.

Cheshire Cat

Sep 26, 2008
As long as it is in the correct context, I don't see that it really matters. Modern Warfare is a perfect game to see/hear military jargon in, but if it was in Katamari Damacy/Cooking Mama etc it'd be a little odd...

AndyMcNoob

May 20, 2009
Furburt said:
Well, thankfully I understand it all, from playing ArmA II and Opflash 1 for ages. I took a sort of course in it and other military things a while back.

It can be very handy on Left 4 Dead, if the other people understand it too. You can then condense your panicked cries into a specific message they can understand quickly.

So no, it doesn't annoy me. I use it myself sometimes.
same here it is handy coz its a quick wasy way of telling every one eslse wht going on especialy in OFP:CWC + ArmA2.
and as uve said its pretty good in zombie games two :)