Poll: Military Jargon in Games

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I loved in Rainbow Six: Rouge Spear that button you could use making the teams go "Charlie go, Delta go, Bravo go" I just thought that was always so cool

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
One line I'll always love is "Weapons free."
That's the cue to kick some ass and liberate some nations.
[sub]BOOSH![/sub]

[sub]I'm sorry, I will never quote Haze ever again.[/sub]

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Magic Hobo said:
I really don't care about it being there most of the time. The issue is when people decide it has a place in matchmaking.

FYI: It doesn't.
I don't mind a simple "Roger that," but when it sounds like you're ordering everything on the menu at Dairy Queen, you need to dial it back a bit.

"Hey, uh, got 3 tangos spotted. You want to take em out XXXXXx1379EliteWarMasterXXXXXXX?"
"Roger that, Solid copy Delta 2, I've got a beat on your three tangos, preparing to engage. What are hostiles packing, over?"
"Uh... Guns?"
"Solid copy. Looks like 556ers and pineapples."
"You mean the FAMAS and a few grenades?"
"Roger that. What's the ETA for that chopper evac? I don't wanna be stuck back here when things get FUBAR."
"There are no choppers in this game. You know what? Fuck it. I'm taking the shot."

Edit: Sorry for the double post :l

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I understand most of the military jargon anyway, and that little that I don't understand is pretty easy to figure out. Thank you, CCF...

Anyway, to answer the question, I don't mind it. It adds more to the military feel of whatever game we're playing, unless of course you aren't playing a military game. Then it's just odd. I mean, who wants to hear military jargon in the middle of Super Mario Bros? Unless Bowser's organising his troops to go medieval on those plumbers' arses[footnote]"WE'RE NOT PLUMBERS!"[/footnote]...

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
I remember I played a game called Ace Combat 4 in which you're a fighter jet I think some of you know what I'm talking about anyway you'd be flying along and your radio would repeatedly say all these code phrases I still don't understand

"Fox two, Fox two"
"Sierra Hotel!"
You know if you guys want to say him just say hi, so when I have no idea what they're saying not so much but otherwise its fine. Anyone here in the Air Force or something and knows what the above phrases mean, or did they just make them up.

Lunar Shadow

Dec 9, 2008
ejb626 said:
I remember I played a game called Ace Combat 4 in which you're a fighter jet I think some of you know what I'm talking about anyway you'd be flying along and your radio would repeatedly say all these code phrases I still don't understand

"Fox two, Fox two"
"Sierra Hotel!"
You know if you guys want to say him just say hi, so when I have no idea what they're saying not so much but otherwise its fine. Anyone here in the Air Force or something and knows what the above phrases mean, or did they just make them up.
Fox two is a missile launch and Sierra Hotel is a Successful hit on a ground target.
Edit: Sorry, Sierra HOtel is slang, it means "shit hot". Basically it's the polite way of saying someone is awesome.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I think it fits perfectly in the Battlefield games, but that's really all I've seen it in. I don't play Flashpoint or Modern Warfare, but looking at the styles I guess it would fit there, too. Saying that it's confusing is like being mad at the Germans in WWII games being confusing when they speak German... I also think that it teaches you a lot of military terms, as does the German's German.

I also think it's no different than saying "Long snipe" in CS:S. It's faster and sort of a code that noobs probably wouldn't understand.

Sky Captanio

May 11, 2009
Well I find military Jargon fits in games where you're in the military. Otherwise yeah it's pretty stupid.

Tarrou

Oct 18, 2009
If you've been in the military, you notice all the screwups. To take the popular one from MW2...

No one says "we're Oscar Mike". If you're on the radio, everyone KNOWS you're on a mission.

"Charlie Mike" = change of mission (which all that running about only to be told to do something different is).
"Red Con One" = get ready to move your ass

Come to think of it, I don't think there is a standard "we're walking" thing, except perhaps "in transit".

In talking with aircraft, I've never heard "foot mobiles" used. It's just not part of the lingo. "Azimuth 240, range 600. Infantry in the open" would be more like it. And the generalized term for targets is "Tangos" just like vehicles are "Victors".

Anyhoo, do I find it annoying? Not really, but it is silly they can't get just one ex-military dude to look at it and go "no no no, you're doing it wrong". Especially when they tout researching the SEALS (actually, to be fair, I've never heard SEAL radio chatter). W/E. I just find it funny.

Spiner909

Dec 3, 2009
How many army veterans do we have on the Escapist? Can anyone confirm/deny the more popular slang?

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
Lunar Shadow said:
ejb626 said:

"Fox two, Fox two"
"Sierra Hotel!"
Fox two is a missile launch and Sierra Hotel is a Successful hit on a ground target.
Edit: Sorry, Sierra HOtel is slang, it means "shit hot". Basically it's the polite way of saying someone is awesome.
You know right after I asked that I answered my own question with Urbandictionary, but yeah thats what they mean. That was the funny thing about Ace Combat they wanted cursing but they wanted to keep it T (e.g "Sierra Hotel","Die you SOB")

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I like the usage it's immersive, but only so long as you aren't required to understand if. If a guy starts yelling jargon at you trying to get you to do something it's like "lol wut?" but in MW2 most of the jargon was between NPCs and I quite enjoyed it.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Love it! especially

Stay frosty. Silenced weapons only.

and Weapons free

The one thing i dont like is Huaah-like responses...

ethaninja said:
mrbones228 said:
"we're Oscar Mike"

Is one of my favorite lines in modern warfare... don't ask why.
And in Operation Flashpoint 2 as well =D
Doesn't it mean on the move?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Marine_Corps_acronyms_and_expressions

:D

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
I like it when it is used appropriately, which it usually is in most FPSs. I don't have much problems understanding it either since JROTC makes you learn that stuff.

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
Tarrou said:
Mmm, my cousin had the same gripe about jargon in games(He was in the Airforce for years). One game he played mistranslated the term victors for actual enemies so when he was flying over to bomb a target. Full of Enemies it blared 62 Victors. But when he took out a tank it blared 1 tango nice job!

azncutthroat

May 13, 2009
It's like music to my ears...

...except when used blatantly wrong. But fortunately, I have not yet encountered this hellspeak yet.

I really like the way how Valve made the Combine's military jargon. I don't know about you, but the combination of synthesized vocals and tactical communications is absolutely exquisite.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
"Go silent"
thats my favorite in games. sometimes i find military jargon funny in games because it seems like the try wayy too hard to make it sound cool, only to fail. games like MW2 = annoying. but in RTS and tactical shooters like SOCOM and Rainbow Six, its needed and its pretty cool

for the oscar mike fans on this thread

Spiner909

Dec 3, 2009
Yeah, I learned my first bit of jargon from Ace Combat games too. I still enjoy hearing Fox 3! I can confirm that kill.

For those who haven't caught on yet, Oscar Mike means On the Move

Valdsator

May 7, 2009
"We're Oscar Mike!"

Seeeeeriously got annoying in MW2.
I liked the jargon in the Ace Combat games.