Poll: Most Disappointing Game of 2011?

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
A bunch of REALLY good games came out this year: Skyrim, Human Revolution, Portal 2, Skyward Sword (As far as I've heard. I don't have a Wii) and so on. There were some dissapointments such as TOR or Dragon Age 2, but I think it was quite a good one. When this topic came up last year (I didn't know about the Escapist, but a bunch of other gaming forums I was at were discusing this), I said that 2010 was an OK year with some good releases, but the really good games seemed to be looming on the horizon of 2011. To be honest, I don't think 2011 was as good as I thought it would be (At least videogame release related), but I'd still call it above average.

Oh, yeah, also still no sign at all of HL2 Episode 3. That's a huge dissapointment. At this rate, it'll take the place that Duke Nukem Forever had as "The game that will never be made".

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Funnily enough, no game has disappointed me so far this year.

Admittedly I've not bought much;
Total War: Shogun 2 (meh; not bad, but the series has been more fun in the past; best campaign map and naval battles so far)
Dawn of War 2: Retribution (its not the best campaign in the series, but its fun nevertheless)
Men of War: Assault Squad (best strategy I've played in a while)
Skyrim (still not made up my mind, but so far, there's little I can criticise besides a few rather poor design choices; I'm definitely enjoying it though)

DarkTenka

Apr 7, 2010
How is every post in this thread NOT Duke Nukem Forever?! .. is it just automatically exempt for being "most obvious choice" ?

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Duke Nukem
DA2
Mass Effect 3 (Because it got delayed for some kinect crap. I can see where they were going, but Shepard doesn't even say what you select, so it would be you saying something, then Shepard saying something completely different. Or it would ignore what Shepard would say and have the NPC give a response that would be more suited towards what Shepard had said. I can't see it being anything but underwhelming. However, that Skyrim voice command thing I have on my PC is epic for shouts. FUS RO DAH!)
Skyrim.

Duke Nukem is self explanatory how crap that game ended up being. At the start, I was like 'Yeah, there is a bit wrong with it [Two weapon limit, regenerating health], but its still fun, and its got puzzles. Finally, a game with puzzles to solve rather than just move and shoot. After the first 2 levels, it just got really, really crap.

DA2 was a disappointment partially as a game itself, and partially as a sequel.
The game was more rushed than KotOR2 and recycled all of its environments at least twice, whilst sticking you in the same city for the whole damn game. The story, whilst a little original, was bad. A hero rises to power is your average story for a RPG, and could be used in comedy RPGs to parody the whole levelling thing. Bioware goes on and puts it as you rise to be the most powerful figure in X city, a lesser version of just being the most powerful guy, then has you become powerful by basically tomb raiding, and apparently all that gives power is money (What much of the story revolves around). The sub-plots are more interesting than the main story, but most go nowhere, and only appear for one act. The ending was just crap, and your clichéd cliff hanger.
The game was a bad sequel as, whilst it is important to change things up in a sequel to make it worthy of actually being a sequel not an expansion, everything was changed, and sometimes not in a good way. Art design and graphics have improved, but have drastically altered the appearances of some of the characters and creatures we became familiar with in Origins. Several decisions from Origins were retconned, such as Leliana's death. The series went from being RPG to Action Adventure game with RPG elements (And really, what games these days don't have some RPG element or other? [Yes, there are some, but a great deal have at least on RPG element. BF3, for example, has the rank (Or level) up system]). Combat went from being interactive movie style to button mash style. Whilst the first's was boring to some, the seconds was annoying and stupid in many ways. I.E: Spawning enemies. The biggest sign of lazy design when Origins had at least 90% of its enemies pre-placed for you to stumble across. Instead of a large open world to explore, like in Origins, you are stuck not in a 'hold' (to use the Skyrim term for it) instead of a country, but in a single city, with small bits and pieces done in copy/pasted dungeons outside. But, enough on DA2...

Skyrim. Many reasons for this. 1. Too short quest lines, and too many radial quests instead. Would have been far better to have longer quest lines, and less radial quests than this way round.
The civil war is utter bullcrap. Nothing actually happens at all, except for a couple of Stormcloak arrests. I have not once come across a Stormcloak attack on a town or fort, nor random skirimishes in the wild. And before someone pipes up and says 'Do the civil war quest line' I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO. It is a civil war, not a civil 'lets wait for the PC to choose a side then attack a few places for us to win the war'. There is nothing to denote a civil war going on, despite it being talked about constantly by NPCs. Yes, the decision is quite grey, and that is nice, but IMO there is no civil war, merely a coup started by myself to put my selected leader in charge of both halves of Skyrim.
Graphics. I was lead to believe they were awesome and amazing. Nope. The scale is, but that was to be expected. The actual graphics themselves are meh. Textures are utter crap, shadows are horrible, and many, many models have little detail to them. Lighting is meh, not good not bad, and I have to wonder whether I missed a 'compared to Oblivion' at the end.
When people are talking, they have nothing to indicate it other than a moving mouth. If they're having a great argument with someone, they'll just be walking around casually, or staring at each other in a casual pose. It just looks stupid.
Dragons sounded like an epic and awesome fight. They ended up as 'Wait for Dragon to land, attack 3 times, dead dragon' and happen far too often, and I only run into them every hour or so ATM. It also doesn't help that some Dragons are pants on head retarded, and will just fly around in the air for literally half an hour, then either fly off or land in front of me. It will do nothing but fly in that half hour. No matter if it gets attacked or not, it will just fly. Really pisses me off.
The game is so broken in some places its not funny. I can now never become Thane of Riften for one reason, just one. Want to know what it is? After buying my house I decided to have a look inside. To become Thane, I should have spoken to the Jarl. Now, there is no conversation option to become Thane simply because I walked into my house. It is a well known problem online, and there is no fix. I have my inventory full of quest items I can't get rid off simply because I acquired them before the quest. Books that I found, then was sent on a quest to get mostly. I can not hand them in as the quest has not progressed to that level yet, and keeps pointing me to collect it from chest X in location Y, whilst chest X is empty, and I have the book in my inventory. On the PC version, Esbern's dialogue one specific place plays through instantly and he does not follow the actions he should afterwords. It is a known problem, and has a fix online, but literally breaks the main quest chain. I expected bugs, but I had hoped Bethesda wouldn't have stuff like this. Flying horses, I can handle, Dragons being annoying, I can understand. Bugs that break quests, including the main one, I hate.

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
Most disappointing was Duke Nukem Forever. It could have been something to bring us back to the days of shooters when they were about fast paced wizz bang shooty fun but instead it just sucked.

Mr. Self Destruct

Feb 26, 2009
My most dissapointing game is going to have to be Dark Souls, I started loosing interest but kept playing, then I got to Seath and just thought 'I am done with this game'. I didn't find it overly challenging, some of the bosses were awesome (here's looking at you big ass wolf) but overall, a big ol' merr. It's a shame because Demon's Souls was the reason I bought a ps3 and that was worth it and the some.

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
It turns out I didn't buy any games this year, There were not many games that enthused me enough to buy them. I bought add-ons or played ones I already owned as I felt for the sake of my degree I didn't have time to commit to the sprawling time sponge games. It's a shame, I did however play some of the new releases I wouldn't say any disappointed me massively but the FPS games all seemed the same this year. I was going to go with BF3 but the origin code nonsense put me off and the fact it's trying to be like COD.

Ryank1908

Oct 18, 2009
Amazing year. Bear with me.

Deus Ex, LA Noire, SW:TOR, Space Marine, Arkham City, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Shogun 2 (No ones mentioned that yet?)Dead Island, Dead Rising: OTR, DoW 2: Retribution, Portal 2, Minecraft..

There were big disappointments too, sure. There always are - such is the nature of this industry. But when reflecting on a year in gaming I prefer to look at how good the good was, instead of how many games fucked up.

This year, the good was very, very good.

Dec 3, 2011
Uncharted 3 disappointed me. I know I'm in the minority here, but the story was just too flawed for me to get engaged.

Also, Skyward Sword. My least favourite Zelda; I just found it tedious.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Carnagath said:
It was a pretty decent year.

Goty: Dark Souls

Most disappointing game: Uncharted 3 (6 hour single player and boring multiplayer)

Biggest fuckup: Skyrim on PS3. Bethesda should be in jail for false advertising and fraud.
how exactly do you imprision a corporation?

ubersyanyde

Dec 9, 2011
I'm going to be controversial and say Portal 2. It was by no means a bad game but we were promised a 10 hour epic with a substantial co-op. Instead the single player had some laughably easy achievements and got completed in ~4 hours. Also the co-op is boring to play with someone who has already completed it. I sold it within a week of its release.

But Brink tops this by far... ugh, it missed every single one of its goals by miles. If you were excited for it then you know how everyone felt when it got released.

mGoLos

Nov 7, 2007
Skyim on the PS3.

Damn you Bethesda. I gave you money and 70 hours of my time and I didn't to get finish it by far.

Never again will you get a pre-order from me.

Fix it or die!

Ben Saville

Nov 24, 2011
I would tie Duke Nukem Forever with Skyrim.

DNF because it was bad and made no apologies suit, and Skyrim because it was SO far hyped. That being said Skyrim isn't BAD, just couldn't live up to anywhere near the hype.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
Well when i think games of 2011 my heads thinks of these;

Dead Island, DA2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Saints row 3 and portal 2.

DA2 was absolutly terrible, they basically kicked pc gamers out on there arse saying "screw you", it was just terrible not going to say anything else considering the majority who have already posted about have pointed out it's flaws.

As for the rest i loved them all, the only one which disappointed me some was saints row, and this is purely because it seemed to me like alot of the content which should have been there was coming in dlc.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
F.E.A.R. 3

Screw multiplayer being shoved into great SP games. Screw it right in its ear.
You do know that all the other FEAR games had multiplayer, right?

For me it was Brink. It was an ugly, buggy mess of game. To add insult to injury, I paid $60 and it was retailing for $20 less then a month later.

The only part of that game I really had any fun with was customizing my character and guns. I seriously think I spent more time doing that then actually playing the game.

Istronen

Jun 26, 2011
I still have many of the year's biggest titles to play more or try out but what I've seen so far, it's been a nice year in gaming. Saint's Row 3 has a lot of things to do so it really feels like a sandbox game. Many others have just made the impression of having a city to scour through but then disappointed with too much linearity. I agree that Skyrim didn't feel as epic as people were lead into believing it would be but first impressions about the game were that it looked nice and played ok so I think I'll have fun in wandering and doing those quests.

To sum my opinion up, I think that Skyrim will be the worst letdown. I also felt that Duke Nukem Forever wasn't too good but actually I never expected it to be so I didn't fall from too high pedestal :)

Back to gaming now, have a nice xmastime people!

Sep 14, 2009
well so far skyward sword, started it yesterday and god dammit it, it is the most tedious/annoying game i have played all year, dragon age 2 seems amazing compared to it.

maybe after 5-6 hours it gets better? still...god dammit this game is really really disappointing me so far.