Poll: My friend has shocked and appalled me. Now I feel numb...

SweEscaspist

Oct 13, 2010
Good thing he got arrested. If this were me I would have warned my family and then stoped calling him my freind.

And yeah, I voted B.

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
Innocent until proven otherwise.

If, however, he is found legally guilty of rape, I feel there is only one fitting way to treat a rapist: murder.

SableKnight

Apr 28, 2011
D) If you aren't supposed to know about it, then telling everyone you know is a bad idea. Subtly hint towards him being unstable or dangerous, and make sure you're there for the girl if she needs someone to talk to.

LiudvikasT

Jan 21, 2011
Until he's convicted, he should be deemed innocent. Spreading rumors about him won't help anyone.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
googleboy said:
It appears actually that this poll has been rendered moot. I just saw him being 'perp' walked on the 11 o'clock news. The report says that he is accused of not just the one but of five assaults since January. This one appears to have worked out.
Yeah, I've had people take this route - wait until it hits the news, then pass the news article around. That way people know there might be some truth to the rumours and find things out for themselves. Ofc, that very much depends on your community.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Warn your friends and family, but otherwise do nothing. It is very important that you wait until the case is resolved. Trying to tell this man's boss or his own family of this case is not the right thing to do. Innocence until PROVEN guilty - that is the foundation of our legal system. You might suspect this man of being guilty. He might very well be. But until it is PROVEN that he is, you must presume innocence. This applies to all crimes, including rape.

Do not go around saying that this man is guilty, even if you really feel that he is. If the evidence is strong enough, he'll be convicted. If he's not, then he won't be. The court system is not perfect, but it's the best system we have for now. In the case of rapists, it does let too many go free. But I would rather let 10 rapists go free, than put one innocent person in jail. That's the way it has to be. Again, it's not perfect. Rape is a horrible, horrible crime and currently, we could do more to investigate and prosecute offenders. But we can't just say "He's guilty! He's guilty" until it is proven in court.

Lenin once said that he would rather hang 100 innocent people than let a criminal go free. Do you agree with Lenin? Or do you favour the principles of the West, which argues that putting an innocent person in jail is pretty much the worst thing you can do?

I don't know if this guy you speak of is guilty or not guilty. I haven't seen the evidence, I haven't interviewed the suspects or the victims, I haven't heard the arguments. From what you have written, he sounds guilty, but I do not have the knowledge or the authority to make such announcements, and neither do you.

Just to clarify - rape is horrible crime. I am not saying that this man is innocent. I am just saying that I would not go around shouting "he's GUILTY, I tells ya, HE'S GUILTY", because not only does that 1) Prejudice the community against him BEFORE a crime has been proven in court and 2) It indicates that a judgement has already been made on your part, which is not the correct thing to do - the correct thing to do is to wait until the court case has been settled.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
As long as you are 100% he did indeed rape the girl then I would tell people, a lot of people.

I personally would be ready to beat his ass. I don't recommend it 'cause that will do only bad for yourself and possibly help the guy in court.

Some of my friends have been accused of rape by girls just because the girl decided to be a ***** or felt guilty. One girl felt guilty about cheating on her boyfriend and another has accused over 5 different people of rape(the cops know her now and all were false).

edit: if he gets away with it go Charles Bronson a la Death Wish on his ass.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
googleboy said:
awesomeClaw said:
Are you 100% absolutely super-duper mega sure that he HAS in fact raped a woman, and the woman isn´t just pressing charges out of spite? If you´re not, then wait until the verdict. If you got falsely accused of rape, would you want all your friends to avoid you?

If you are sure, then B.
I am in a small quandary as I know 100% for a fact that this is the case however I acquired the information in a dubious way (relative in the DA's office).
Rape can simply be considered underaged sex even under consent.
Stick bye your friend no matter what... unless he really isn't that much a of a friend.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
TheRobotandtheBeast said:
Drug him and tattoo the word "rapist" on his forehead,

He heh he. painting him as a rapist (insert troll face)
No.
http://www.kitv.com/r-video/27783852/detail.html
That is cruel and it wouldn't make you any better than him.

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
Um, juries aren't qualified legal experts, and they decided.
Okay, yes, but they are guided and prosecutions are made and defenses provided by qualified experts.

Yes, it is "Lawful Good" which can suck if we allow our personal feelings to run our lives.

However, society cannot function fairly on "I heard this person did a bad thing!".

If you want the rule of law and a fair lawful system, you MUST accept its path in every situation.