Poll: Nostalgia topic: Pokemon or Digimon?

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I was into Pokemon first, and I'm still into Pokemon, even as Digimon has fallen into a pointless blur in the back of my mind. Even my spell check recognizes the word Pokemon, but not Digimon.

Anyway, I was into both for awhile, but always Digimon way less.

I keep seeing the great game/crap show v. great show/crap game argument, and I do believe its valid. The difference is that even though I enjoyed the Digimon anime, I still play the Pokemon games.

tycho0042

Jan 27, 2010
Anime=digimon, Games=pokemon.
Though the digimon series got strange with this xros wars series. They pretty much threw out the whole evolution part of it. The only way one got stronger it seems with xros wars was to fuse with other digimon. Well, not completely true. Like 2 digimon actually evolved in the series to get stronger but they jumped straight to mega level strength but by the end of the series still had to to the xros fusion to win.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Draconalis said:
Games: Pokemon

Anime: Digimon
Quoted for truth. Although the Digimon games have a completely different level of difficulty than the Pokemon games, they are their own style, pretty much.

For the record, this argument has been done to death, and therefore, this thread stands as nothing more than one of the "Versus" variety.

How dull.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
I gotta say Digimon. I loved the anime more than the Pokemon anime and I find myself playing Digimon World 1-3 or Digimon World DS than I do playing the Pokemon games. Plus it's amazing that what was essentially a Tamagachi got popular enough to even have a cartoon and games in the first place.

However, Monster Rancher trumps them all both in the game and anime department. Seriously, go pick up Monster Rancher 3 or 4 and tell me they aren't really fun to play.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I like 'em both, though the Digimon anime is better than the Pokemon one is currently...

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I grew up on Pokemon. I tried getting into digimon, but I wasn't exposed to it enough to let it be too rememborable.

Pokemon is still better to me.

Azurian

Oct 27, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNPQU_HTPmw

The best Digimon season EVER!!! my love for pokemon just stopped after the first season since Ash just seemed to quit wanting to be a Pokemon master.

Heroes and Cons

Mar 23, 2011
RidetheLightning said:
I've always loved them both but the distinction fans have between the two franchises is:
Pokemon - Great games Crap Anime
Digimon - Crap games Great Anime
This.

I love many of the games in the main series of the Pokemon franchise (except RSE, they were terrible), whereas there are a grand total of TWO digimon games I enjoy (Digimon World 1 and 3). On the other hand, there are very few really entertaining moments in the Pokemon anime (there ARE some great fights in Pokemon, though, like Ash vs Paul / Gary). I think overall though the Digimon anime is better - at least the first 3 seasons - because it is a 'save the world' rather than 'rule the world' situation, and the villains are actually evil. Plus, NOTHING in Pokemon looks as badass as WarGreymon. NOTHING!

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Digimon is far superior in terms of the first season anime and the whole Myotismon arche holds some of my favourite episodes in all of anime. season 2 was meh but season 3 was good, havnt seen 4 or 5 but i havnt heard good things. Pokemon anime has always been awful apart from a handful of episodes in the first season.

Pokemon games are great though.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Digimon all the way!

As for Pokemon... meh, I could always take it or leave it. I only ever watched the odd episode here and there. But Digimon had me hooked and I was devastated whenever I missed an episode!

I guess, as a kid, the idea of being sucked into another world where you're paired up with an awesome evolving monster was just too appealing. Pokemon just seemed a little too fantastical for my liking.

I recently re-watched the 1st and 2nd seasons of Digimon, for nostalgia's sake, and damn it still holds up!

Sadly, I either grew up, or they just never showed it on terrestial channels in England... but I never saw any Digimon past season 2. I hear some are pretty good though.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Personally I'm in the Digimon camp when it comes to this argument. Other than never actually "Getting" Pokemon, Digimon had a surprisingly solid first few seasons (my personal favorite being the 3rd season) and just seemed like a cooler idea at the time. Real monsters being created through technological means? That sounds much more awesome than weird monsters simple existing in an alternate universe.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pokemon all the way! After all I was one of those obsessive fan, need to won everything with a Pokemon label on it!

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
Pokemon. I loved watching and playing it when I was little and kind of retarded (more for liking the anime than the games). Way back then digimon came on a year or too after pokemon started airing so I had figured it was just some poor knock off so I didn't watch it. I know that's not the case, it's just what I thought back then.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Digimon, just felt so much more mature and it kept getting more mature as the series progressed. None the less Pokemon will always hold a spot in my heart, forever.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Digimon, I never really got into Pokémon. I remember thinking digimon had better stories but I was a kid so who knows what I thought was a better story at the time. I never played any of the games for either of them.
Hmm now I feel like rewatching digimon just to see what I use to like.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
RidetheLightning said:
I've always loved them both but the distinction fans have made between the two franchises is:
Pokemon - Great games Crap Anime
Digimon - Crap games Great Anime
quoted for truth

Digimon had the WAY better shows, and a more then a few eps have WAY darker tones then you'd figure a kids show should have
Pokemon had the WAY better games, in that well, we still get them

Drakos.Amatras

Mar 23, 2011
DBLT4P said:
I clearly remember knowing Digimon was pretty much a ripoff of Pokemon
Actually, the origin of Digimon is one year earlier than Pokémon. The origin of Digimon franchise started as "Digimon Virtual Pet" in 1997, in the form of Tamagotchi-like devices.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
I actually only watched both for the first time within the last couple years. Between season 1 on Pokemon (which I hear is the best one, if not only one worth watching) and Digimon Tamers (third season, that is), Digimon Tamers was worlds better. I enjoyed Pokemon, but Digimon Tamers was just a far more personal, interesting, continuous story. The characters were more interesting, the exploration of the bond between Digimon and their tamer was fantastic, and it got genuinely emotional at many points. Pokemon's claim to emotional scenes essentially came down to letting Butterfree go, letting Pikachu go, Charmander's origin story, and that one episode in the ice cave. Good moments, but completely disconnected and meaningless in the overall course of the show's events.

So yeah Digimon wins in my book.