Poll: Oblivion Class Question

Hop-along Nussbaum

Mar 18, 2011
This is probably the millionth time that this has been done, but I really don't care.

I have played Oblivion numerous times, as have many of you. And each time, I try to change it up a bit. Different race, different class. But for some reason, I can never, no matter how hard I try, get into the game being a full mage, with no melee skills to back me up. I always seem to revert back to the Thief/Assassin badass, and either an elf, or a Khajit.

At least that way, I get quests for Fighter's Guild, Mage's Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, and so far only one for the Order of the Virtuous Blood, although ironically, I'm a vampire too.

So fellow Escapists, what say you? What class do you always seem to fall back on whilst playing our beloved game of ES4: Oblivion?

(Unrelated and off-topic: And does anyone really ever use the Alchemy stuff? Morter and Pestle, Albemic, Calcinator....and for what? So I can pick flowers?)

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Mostly custom class.

However, now that I think about it, the ability to master everything pretty much removes all aspects of "class" from the game. If not in Skyrim, then perhaps in future TES games, I think it'd be better that you're only able to master (100) your class' main skills, become an expert (75) in your class' minor skills, and only a apprentice (25) in all others.

As for alchemy, I almost always use it.
a) It allows you to earn some quick cash. Go to an inn, buy all food, make potions, sell potions.
b) The high end potions you make are superior/lighter to the ones that can be found in game. Granted, they heal over time, but that heal for more.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Custom, though the classes really don't make as big an impact as you'd think. It's just different point allocations, but they all play out roughly the same.

I like to go with Armorer, Marksman, Alchemy, Athletics, Mercantile, Light Armor, and Sneak. I called the class "Self-Made Man". Yeah, I don't like magic in the game. I hate it, actually. I usually don't get any spell other than what I start with. Oh, and I think I favor Agility and Speed or Endurance as my attributes.

As for Alchemy, it's great. If you're like me and you hate magic, then you're not going to invest in Restoration. Potions are as effective as spells, and you can make a ton of money from what you don't need. It's a great way to become really self-reliant. I don't need quests to earn coin, as I can just wander around and make hundreds of potions to sell.

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
I always do Custom. I thought everyone did: the pre-set classes are all silly.

I don't like sneaking, but I love speed. So I'll usually have a speed warrior or speed mage, with Strength and Speed or Intelligence and Speed, respectively. Always The Steed, and usually Argonian (I despise Khajiit). I can dodge anything, and with the mage I can hit from a distance. With the warrior, it's more challenging, but I love the feeling of running an entire Oblivion gate without getting hit or hitting anyone. I've played through every guild with each, and I beat the main quest with the speed warrior. That reminds me, I need to reinstall Oblivion.

Dusk17

Jul 30, 2010
I always heard that having the option to master something that was outside your class was a feature, not a mistake of the developers.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Hop-along Nussbaum said:
This is probably the millionth time that this has been done, but I really don't care.

I have played Oblivion numerous times, as have many of you. And each time, I try to change it up a bit. Different race, different class. But for some reason, I can never, no matter how hard I try, get into the game being a full mage, with no melee skills to back me up. I always seem to revert back to the Thief/Assassin badass, and either an elf, or a Khajit.

At least that way, I get quests for Fighter's Guild, Mage's Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, and so far only one for the Order of the Virtuous Blood, although ironically, I'm a vampire too.

So fellow Escapists, what say you? What class do you always seem to fall back on whilst playing our beloved game of ES4: Oblivion?

(Unrelated and off-topic: And does anyone really ever use the Alchemy stuff? Morter and Pestle, Albemic, Calcinator....and for what? So I can pick flowers?)
I would really try going redguard. they have a 40 agility, and their adrenaline rush ability gives them great spell making and enchanting options. I ran a redguard, apprentice specializing in stealth skills, blade, and restoration. I will never ever ever play any other class. This combo can do anything, and has great enchantment/spell making as I said, from the adrenaline rush.

And oh god yes I use alchemy. It's never a class skill and it's always the first skill that hits journeyman. Being able to make your own potions is absolutely amazing, especially with a thief/assassin style that I play cuz you can make poisons.

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
I reinstalled oblivion yesterday, and installed a bunch of graphics mods with oscruo's oblivion overhaul (<-- by god get that mod if you have oblivion on PC) and I'm loving it so far. thousands of hours put into that game and I'm still not bored of it.

OT: I usually have several characters, so I don't stick to one class or type. The class I always seem to play the least of though is the mage type

Yes, I use alchemy quite a lot. With oscuro's overhaul the game can become very tough, and alchemy lets you create potions to poison your arrows with, which can really make all the difference. Alchemy is also a big money maker, plants grow everywhere, and just two plants can be combined into a potion that you can sell for 30 gold. If you pick every plant you see, you're in for some real dosh.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I go with blade skill with mostly other melee skills but with a few useful spells like restoration and mysticism.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Evil Top Hat said:
I reinstalled oblivion yesterday, and installed a bunch of graphics mods with oscruo's oblivion overhaul (<-- by god get that mod if you have oblivion on PC) and I'm loving it so far. thousands of hours put into that game and I'm still not bored of it.

OT: I usually have several characters, so I don't stick to one class or type. The class I always seem to play the least of though is the mage type

Yes, I use alchemy quite a lot. With oscuro's overhaul the game can become very tough, and alchemy lets you create potions to poison your arrows with, which can really make all the difference. Alchemy is also a big money maker, plants grow everywhere, and just two plants can be combined into a potion that you can sell for 30 gold. If you pick every plant you see, you're in for some real dosh.
Also, looting all the barrels and chests in the market section of imperial city gives you the ingredients for a few dozen "restore fatigue" potions, which is usually enough for me to buy whatever armor/weapon I want and to enchant it with whatever once I beat mage guild. Sell price of potion is based on skill and int, if both are high you crank out gold with alchemy. An alchemist thief has all the money he needs. Once you get to like expert level, you can usually buy all the ingredients from an alchemy shop, make potions, and sell the potions back for double the cost. It's the best skill in the game.

Kevonovitch

Apr 15, 2009
custom, always :p

pretty much mix of melee, some magic, and some stealth. the 7 main skills, and atleast 3 minor skills, always in the works.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Honestly, if you're not playing a custom class, you're missing the point of The Elder Scrolls.

I usually play a melee-focussed character with a little magic on the side to give me extra help when I need it. Blade skill for fighting, Conjuration for when I need some help and/or a distraction. I tend not to go for stealth skills, mostly because I'm not particularly good at being sneaky.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Custom mix between Theif/Assassin/General sneaky bastard
Using a Bow for combat
With Illusion magic thrown in for invisibility and night vision

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Custom class focussing on Marksman and stealth but with a a bit of Restoration being the primary magicka expenditure.
EDIT: I have never used alchemy... I really can't be artsed and I have 60K in my back pocket to buy potions anyway.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I very rarely do anything else but custom. I am usually a thief/warrior combo or a mage/warrior combo type of thing. Never a thief/mage though for some reason. I don't know why. I just never like to play that type.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Custom class, something with a sword and some magic.

I like being able to master everything. If you play oblivion with the mainquest and the guild quest you'll become proficient in a reasonable number of skills. I'll be a master swordsman, destruction magician, alchemist and a runner because running is also a skill for some reason and you'll be running faster then the fastest horses.

but whatever, you'll be a mastering some skills, by far not all of them, by the end of a "normal" game. However, and i love that, you *can* be a master at every skill.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Longsword using assassin with a dash of destruction and conjuration. Works out pretty well.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
I was gonna say "custom class", but "theif or assassin with a dash of magic" explains me pretty well. I usually use a bow though.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Hop-along Nussbaum said:

I am your complete opposite haha. As a full breton mage I made myself completely immune to all magic, with a chance of spell absorption aswell.

As for melee? Just conjure up something to do it for you, the stand back and blast the fucker.

And alchemy? Eh, kinda essential as a mage due to the whole mana thing. Although due to making a shit load of potions you won't use trying to level it, you will get a shitload of money.
And once maxed, just 1 ingredient is needed per potion, meaning you pretty much end up with a limitless supply of health and mana potions.