Poll: Old School rap or New School?

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Me and my friend, the same friend who I argued with about whether Biggie Smalls was better then Tupac if you visited that thread, finally settled that argument and we both came to the conclusion that The Notorious B.I.G. was indeed the better rapper, but then he made the statement "Any of today's rapper could sweep him under the rug," so now we're arguing about wether Old School or New Scool rap is better, help put this to rest, and feel free to put some videos on here if you feel it helps.

For this thread we'll assume that Old School rap is anything before 2004, I don't know if thats neccesarily true but I also don't really care.

EDIT: I grew up in the 90's so anything before 2004 is old school to me, that may not be so true for the older rap fans on the thread. Just thought I'd clear that up since a few people have disagreed with my rap dating system.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
There is some decent newer rap, but old school is better.

And you're wrong. Tupac is vastly superior to Biggy.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
The Lonely Island is the only good rap, and they are better then any other rappers past present or future. There, I said it

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
DJDarque said:

Yeah but think of it this way, shut your damn mouth. That debates been settled, it's final!

EDIT: Forgive me if I haven't been excellent to you.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
LarenzoAOG said:
DJDarque said:

Yeah but think of it this way, shut your damn mouth. That debates been settled, it's final!
I wasn't around for the previous debate. I was just throwing my two cents into the mix.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
Rhyming has evolved since then, and today's real rappers are better than older rappers, but what passes as rap today is usually highly popified. As such, I cannot say it is better.

2ndblackjedi

Sep 12, 2008
Personally I enjoy them both equally, but I find a lot of people prefer old school. But that always seemed to me to be because any bad old-school rap songs are usually forgotten about eventually so what most ppl hear today are the classics while hearing both the good and bad of the current era. But in a couple decades, when people are comparing the music of today to whatever exists then, then the cycle will probably repeat itself.

(I dunno if any of that makes sense or if it sounds like rambling but I'm posting it anyway :p)

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
DJDarque said:
LarenzoAOG said:
DJDarque said:

I wasn't around for the previous debate. I was just throwing my two cents into the mix.
You're two cents are noted.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
That depends on how you define "old school". Do you mean just a drum kit and rhymed verse or do you mean drums and synths with rhymed verse? If it's the later, both are good (old and new school), if its the former... old school sucks 9 times out of 10.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
artanis_neravar said:
The Lonely Island is the only good rap, and they are better then any other rappers past present or future. There, I said it
When I get ignored that means I win.
That said other then my above example I find rap to be very uninspiring

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
I love a lot of new stuff but it just doesn't compare to Bone thugs and 2Pac. If dubstep counts on new school then I must say its very close.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Old School. Everything before 1995 was boss. Now it's all about pimps acting pimpin' pimpin', girlies with their booties shakin', and felons with their dollars wavin'.

If that makes sense to you guys.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
A lot of the stuff to come out in the past couple years just doesn't interest me. There's still some legitimate cats out there, but most of the ones I hear the most about I just don't seem to care about. Not really new or old school. I'd rather cherry-pick across the decades, I guess.

btw-- this got massive edits really quickly. Whatever I said in the first place (if anyone even saw it) is best disregarded. I should have read before posting.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Lazarus Long said:
2004? Old?
I guess that puts me in the Mesozoic School camp.
90% of the rap songs that everyone was listening to last year are now forgotten, I think that most of the kids nowadays that can't really appreciate music probably can't remember a single song from 2004 and earlier, so yeah I would say anything before 2004 is Old School enough for me.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
artanis_neravar said:
When I get ignored that means I win.
Or that noone found your response very interesting or thought provoking so they just passed it over.