Poll: Old School rap or New School?

Ferc

May 13, 2011
Both have a lot of good stuff, if you know where to look, it's just the popular stuff from Old School is better than popular rap today. Personally, I prefer New School.

NomNom The World

Feb 14, 2011
I like biggie alot more than tupac and snoop and N.W.A. This isnt to say old school was 'all good' i mean look at people like Ice-T and teck9 (ugh), there are some decent artists these days who do modern 'Hip-hop'.

Genre breaking artists like Tyler the creator and The Game, who bring old school rap into the 21st century 'electronic' era. Of course there are mainstream rappers like Flo-rida and Nelly (who had some awsome early stuff ft. the St lunatics) who drive rap in an opposite direction but all in all mix it.

We all know who we should really be hating on, LADY FUCKING GAGA!

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
pre 1995 is a little murky for me and I honestly don't know much about it, but from then until 2008 was chalk full of garbage ... there are only so many times i can hear drugs rhymed with thugs or skeet skeet before it's become noise and not music ... I can admit now that i've been hearing some decent things in the rap world suddenly. I forget names, but it's really great to see people singing about more than drugs, hoes, money, cars and bling.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Well, I don't like rap, but if I had to choose, old school. Newer rap makes me want to gag myself. At least old school had soul in it.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
New rap, because there is only one rap artist I will listen to.
Unless there is another artist who blends rap and jazz that I don't know about.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
LarenzoAOG said:
Me and my friend, the same friend who I argued with about whether Biggie Smalls was better then Tupac if you visited that thread, finally settled that argument and we both came to the conclusion that The Notorious B.I.G. was indeed the better rapper, but then he made the statement "Any of today's rapper could sweep him under the rug," so now we're arguing about wether Old School or New Scool rap is better, help put this to rest, and feel free to put some videos on here if you feel it helps.

For this thread we'll assume that Old School rap is anything before 2004, I don't know if thats neccesarily true but I also don't really care.

"God Damn whippersnappers and your newfangled Rap..."

~67% of my God damn CD collection is OLD SCHOOL under your definition... Old School is Pre-97 in my opinion (I started listening to Rap in early 2000, and it was my Genre of choice by the middle of that year). I still listen to it extensively, but there are some things that are time tested. Dre's 2001 was an instant classic, as was Xzibit's Man Vs. Machine. (The two most listened to CDs in my collection). I voted New School, but apparently I meant both...

Vandenberg1

May 26, 2011
Rap and African AMERICAN CULTURE IN GENERAL spiraled down after Mo-town with some very gooddd exceptions. Hip Hop and rap has become nothing but an excuse to keep minorities in self decridating povery and excuses to be lazy and stupid. Same for " Wiggers" 9white people act black)... I am a metal head, but I ALSO enjoy native American, and basically all primitive drumming, including Irish and folk music. Classical as well, butttt I DO LIKE POSITIVE POLITICAL RAP FROM LATE 80'S like "Cop killer" by Ice -T... lol...granted I'm 22 but I know my shi-ite.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
There's a lot of great stuff in old school rap (and most of it's been mentioned here already) but none of them have
or

I'll listen to both but so much of the things that come out of these guys' mouths just give me the chills, and they blend it so well with bizarre music or backgrounds. The Lab Rats have really stylish songs with really tight rhymes, and Busdriver's use of a live flute player to rap to just amazes me, not just the choice of the music but the way he keeps up at such incredible speed. Plus, I LOVE the DJ on the Busdriver song I linked - he's just amazing. That is a collaboration of three fantastic artists into a song I love listening to. (also recommended, check out "Me-Time" by Busdriver as well.)

Jazzyjazz2323

Jan 19, 2010
N.W.A. will slap any of these new mother fuckers to hell and back.I find most modern rap completely garbage in comparison to guys from the old school.

clipse15

May 18, 2009
TehCookie said:
New rap, because there is only one rap artist I will listen to.
Unless there is another artist who blends rap and jazz that I don't know about.
So clearly you don't listen to a lot of Outkast since that's kind of they're thing with taking hip hop and blending it with jazz

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
artanis_neravar said:
The Lonely Island is the only good rap, and they are better then any other rappers past present or future. There, I said it
When I get ignored that means I win.
That said other then my above example I find rap to be very uninspiring
Kudos for losing any amount of self integrity you may have had by attempting to troll.

As for the topic: no rap. Ts'all about the hip hop!
@ the guy who posted Busdriver, he's fucking fantabulous. First heard Imaginary Places on THUG, but only recently checked out his other albums.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
EllEzDee said:
artanis_neravar said:
artanis_neravar said:
The Lonely Island is the only good rap, and they are better then any other rappers past present or future. There, I said it
When I get ignored that means I win.
That said other then my above example I find rap to be very uninspiring
Kudos for losing any amount of self integrity you may have had by attempting to troll.

As for the topic: no rap. Ts'all about the hip hop!
@ the guy who posted Busdriver, he's fucking fantabulous. First heard Imaginary Places on THUG, but only recently checked out his other albums.
I was not attempting to troll, and I did not lose any self-integrity thank you for taking concern in my well being