Poll: One world language... that isn't yours.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
English. Definitely.

My first language is German, and seeing how I've looooong since passed the point where I even started dreaming exclusively in English I'd say my choice isn't a hard one.

Nikokvaj

Apr 2, 2010
mageroel said:
randomsix said:
A world language would:
have to have an alphabet (not be character based; see Chinese/Japanese)
not be tonal (see Chinese/Korean(?))
have to be written explicitly (all elements of a word appear in writing; see Arabic for how not to)
have few or no "silent" letters in writing
have one or very few ways of forming plurals (see Arabic as an example of how not do this)
not have femininity/masculinity of nouns
have as few conjugations of verbs within tenses as possible

I can't think of any languages that fit this.
Latin?

PS: sorry double post
Doesn't latin have genera?

Yankeedoodles

Sep 10, 2010
Spanish because:

1. It is so awesome having a phonetic written language that matches up to the spoken language virtually all the time. Unlike languages like English or French whose written words at best match up to how they used to be pronounced.

2. Spanish uses an alphabet-based writing system which is easier to learn than a logograph-based writing system like Chinese or Japanese.

3. Unlike Esperanto a lot of people already speak Spanish (at least in the Western Hemisphere) so finding people to teach Spanish would be easy.

4. I already speak some Spanish

Joshroom

Oct 27, 2009
I'd go for Spanish myself. I can speak reasonably good Spanish and I love how the language sounds. Also, my name in Spanish is Jose, spoken with a beautifully sensual growl. Awesome!

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
rokkolpo said:
Only Dutch people know how to speak Dutch.
(and many of those fail at it)
That's not entirely true, there's half of Belgium and a little splinter of France plus people in South Africa, Surinam, the Dutch Antilles and probably still some in Indonesia.

Found a list that puts Dutch as the 48th most spoken language. And a site that claims the number of languages at something like 2700. So that's not too bad even if heavily unconfirmed.

Of course Mandarin has twice the number of English (#1 and #2) so its pretty much pointless comparitavely.

WrathOfAchilles

May 20, 2009
Kernow Chris said:
WrathOfAchilles said:
I guess Chinese since almost a billion people speak it anyways. Btw Spanish sounds terrible compared to Portuguese, which I know, I'd vote for that. I agree that German and Russian sound angry and awesome.
1.3 billion in the Chinese mainland alone, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam all teach it to their children as a second language... so the actual number is a lot higher, it is the biggest First Language in the world, English being the largest Second Language..
See that? Point proven. Thanks, I was unsure of the number, I only remember seeing a total of primary and secondary with Chinese.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
English is one of the most popular language on the planet right now due to its status as the primary trade language so why wouldn't it win? It certainly has a better shot than German or Japanese.

KungFuCthulhu

Feb 10, 2010
Italian or Latin would be my choice, or perhaps a new language all together that's designed to be simple to learn and effective to use.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Vortigar said:
rokkolpo said:
Only Dutch people know how to speak Dutch.
(and many of those fail at it)
That's not entirely true, there's half of Belgium and a little splinter of France plus people in South Africa, Surinam, the Dutch Antilles and probably still some in Indonesia.

Found a list that puts Dutch as the 48th most spoken language. And a site that claims the number of languages at something like 2700. So that's not too bad even if heavily unconfirmed.

Of course Mandarin has twice the number of English (#1 and #2) so its pretty much pointless comparitavely.
yes but when I say Dutch I mean ABN Dutch.
hence the people failing at it, which probably isn't fair because more people talk in dialect than they do in ABN.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Triangulon said:
Spanish. Because I love to sing in spanish.

On the subject of French.
To quote Chopper Reid, in French you just add 'le' in front of everything. As in: Le Sawn-ff Le Shotgun.
I guess Chopper Reid needs to revisit French 101.

On the subject* I would also love to speak spanish. I just need to learn it someday!

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Maybe I'm biased, because I was a huge Otaku back in High School, but I love the sound of Japanese. All the vowels at the end of words make it sound very fluid and relaxing.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Either Japanese(If I am likely to go to another country outside of europe who doesn't speak English it would be there...I just want to witness the weirdness).

or Russian, Russian sounds awesome.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Canid117 said:
English is one of the most popular language on the planet right now due to its status as the primary trade language so why wouldn't it win? It certainly has a better shot than German or Japanese.
It probably would win, because everyone else votes English, since it's so many other language speakers second language. We just can't vote for it, because we are biased. I think the idea is that you want to avoid the, "I speak the language, so this one" bias, to prevent the Pirates of the Carribean, "We never elect a new King because everyone just votes for themselves" problem. Of course, if you wanted to really do this properly, you would need to start dealing with Weighted averages and such But really, thats too much work when you just want to hear everyone's second favorite language after their own.