Poll: One world language... that isn't yours.

Jedisolo75

Aug 12, 2009
We should all have to switch to Latin. Nobody speaks it, so everyone would have to learn a languags. More fair for everyone.

DocAscii

Jul 30, 2009
American Sign Language - As a modern language, the grammar is completely intuitive. Picking from the options, I go with Spanish cause its pretty and italian wasn't on the list.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Japanese I build allot of Japanese kits and its nice to know how to build them proporly
but I would choose English as a world language that isnt my own (my primairy language is Dutch)

snave

Nov 10, 2009
No surprise that so many people voted Japanese here... but I kinda question why?

Its got definite advantages over English, don't get me wrong, but its got equal number of siadvantages, biggest of which being it's perpetually in flux. Does anyone who voted for it realise just how many of the youth within Japan are functionally illiterate? No, really. I'm dead serious. Its got to this insane point where the newspapers are increasing kanji use because modern computers mean its easy to, and the youth are sitting there in uni writing exclusively in kana. Too many homophones? Thats easy, grab a word you learnt from your failed English classes and substitute in an approximation. Theres more flux in modern Japanese than there is in English, and English is spoken in how many countries?

Whilst I'd very much approve of a common language using a SOV grammatical structure (its stream of consciousness so it just makes sense) I think you're barking up trees here. Finally, I really doubt Japan would want that either, the government loves to utilise the language as an intentional cultural barricade: just look at the ways their internet is closed off.

I'm surprised nobody suggested English reworked and written in Korean hangul: saw a thing on TV pushing that the other day (eh?)

WrathOfAchilles

May 20, 2009
I guess Chinese since almost a billion people speak it anyways. Btw Spanish sounds terrible compared to Portuguese, which I know, I'd vote for that. I agree that German and Russian sound angry and awesome.

Hman121

Feb 26, 2009
I can't pick Spanish, because it's my native tounge, so I'll have to go with French. Flows the same way as Spanish.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I rather like Italian :3

snave said:
No surprise that so many people voted Japanese here... but I kinda question why?
Japanophiles caused by anime would be the reason, here. Pure and simple.

RMcD94

Nov 25, 2009
Where's American English?

And if I'm Scottish can I claim that Scots is my language?e

Edit: Where's Arabic

ArchAngelKira

Mar 25, 2010
Japan has lots of games they don't send us for weird reason(or the games are really weird)AND they have technological advances,so why not japanese

Kernow Chris

Oct 28, 2010
WrathOfAchilles said:
I guess Chinese since almost a billion people speak it anyways. Btw Spanish sounds terrible compared to Portuguese, which I know, I'd vote for that. I agree that German and Russian sound angry and awesome.
1.3 billion in the Chinese mainland alone, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam all teach it to their children as a second language... so the actual number is a lot higher, it is the biggest First Language in the world, English being the largest Second Language..

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
This poll is stupid and discriminates people who aren't native to English!
I vote for english since It is not my native tongue but yet I want to vote for it to be a world language and this poll doesn't let me!

Stop the Internet discrimination!

Honestly, add english to the poll, not everyone here is American, British...

Edit...
Red Rum said:
Ravek said:
Why the hell can't I vote for English?
Because you ARE English!
But I am not!

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Welsh.

I was originally going to say this as a joke, but now that I think about it, it's actually really the most practical choice. The only people who'll really have any advantage is people who already speak Welsh, so no one group is going to be too unhappy. It's doesn't share roots with any other commonly spoken language, so it won't give people who speak any other langauge too much of an advantage. It also uses the Latin alphabet, so we don't have to go through the rigmarole of getting new keyboards and redesigning all computer programs from the ground up, like you'd have to with something like Chinese or Russian.

This means I need to make a new joke one... Klingon! K'plah! (sp?)