Poll: Open worlds: Bethesda or Rockstar?

johnzaku

Jun 16, 2009
That did take me a moment, but when you think about it, they're very different.

Rockstar tends to make their games huge and open, but still linear. You can only do a couple missions at a time, and can only talk to important people. You can go anywhere and do just about anything completely separate from your missions or story (barring the death of a minor character, denying you a mini-mission or something similar).

Bethesda on the other hand has massive incredibly detailed worlds where every single person is a potential interaction. Everything you do, from stealing to straight up murder influences what people say or do around you. On one side, I get great immersion, but also because of this, it's hard to make it more personal to your character.

In L.A. Noir and Red Dead, I honestly felt for my character, putting you in their shoes and doing what they would do. But this doesn't allow for much vesting in the character more than you might like a movie character.

Bethesda gives you a completely blank slate to make your own. This allows for you to imprint yourself on your avatar, but denies the stronger story aspect of fully fleshing him out. There's only so far you can make him/her into you due to simple constraints in technology.

I just kinda wanna throw in Bioware's contribution. In an odd way, Mass Effect is right in the middle. It's a much more linear open world with few interaction outside quest related ones, you have a character that comes with a personality and voice, but you can still get sheperd to be who you want him/her to be.

I guess my preference is Bethesda

Xaio30 said:
Bethesda rules the RPG Sandbox.
Rockstar rules the mayhem Sandbox.

You cannot really compare the two.
Nice summation of what I put lol

Mark Flanagan

Apr 25, 2011
Bethesda, not because Rockstar does anything wrong but because as filled in as the GTA worlds are they don't 'feel' real. To me when I'm playing GTA it just seems like a dollshouse unlike Bethesda's living worlds.

Also Volition wasn't an option. :D

Kunzer

Press R to cause ragequit
Jul 14, 2008
I voted for bethesda.

My main reason: I've gotten well over 1000 solid hours of quality gameplay from fallout 3 alone

I only got about 20 hours out of GTA4 before i became mind-numbingly bored.

I don't personally feel that most of Rockstars' games are all that great.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Bethesda. When I play a Rockstar game, I enjoy how open it is (except for some games where you get pwned for crossing into somewhere you shouldn't go yet), but I hate that there's... well... NOTHING TO DO besides the main quest!

edman270

Jan 25, 2010
Cheesus333 said:
Rockstar's worlds feel more populated, whereas Bethesda's are bigger - in terms of how vast they feel. They absolutely nailed the idea of isolated communities, but I would leave things like cities to Rockstar[footnote]Because Volition Inc. isn't an option[/footnote].

Coffinshaker said:
Bethesda in Oblivion and Fallout 3

but they fail in New Vegas... terribly.
They also didn't make it, so... fair's fair.
oh the lol's

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
Rockstar may make more believable worlds but, well, Bethesda's are simply more fun.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Never played Elder Scrolls so Bethesda is riding on nothing more than Fallout 3.

That being said, given that I'm still putting them in the same league, that says a whole fucking lot about Fallout 3.

Still giving it to Rockstar.

Ritalynn

Sep 22, 2010
Bethesda. How is it even a contest?!?!?

GTA games are terrible for "Open world" games. Red Dead redemption is pretty cool though.

Turing

Dec 25, 2008
Even though I mostly play RPGs, I much prefer Rockstars open worlds, probably mostly because they don't slap a half-baked, cardboard attempt at roleplaying in theirs. Which means you have the freedom to make your own choices most of the way, where Bethesda traps you in some sad excuse for a living world where you can talk to a hundred NPCs who all use the same lines and the people won't blink an eye, much less even recognize you as being the combined Master Of the Fighters guild, Mages guild, champion of the people and head of one or major religions.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
Bethesda, because Fallout 3 never made me drive a gorram moller-frelling piece-of-grit shunting car. ever.

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
Um... you forgot Bioware, Rockstar is a bit of a rollercoaster but overall they're better when it's not GTA... or LA Noire... actually, I only liked Red Dead, but its better than anything Bethesa produced, Oblivions world was so Dull and Fallout is just the same place with different people, the people are interesting but purely on places, Rockstar

Ziel

Mar 24, 2004
Bethesda, because of the mods.

If Rockstar allowed people to implement graphic upgrades, quests, landscape modifications etc. in the same vain as Bethesda games, it might be close.

As it is, default Bethesda vs default Rockstar might be worth consideration, but once you allow people to modify and populate said open world to their own tastes, Bethesda wins hands down.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Gluzzbung said:
Um... you forgot Bioware, Rockstar is a bit of a rollercoaster but overall they're better when it's not GTA... or LA Noire... actually, I only liked Red Dead, but its better than anything Bethesa produced, Oblivions world was so Dull and Fallout is just the same place with different people, the people are interesting but purely on places, Rockstar
I think you'll be hard pressed to find many people who consider BioWare a creator of open world games. They are my favorite developer, but that's not their strength. Nor do I want them to attempt it.

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
Rockstar just makes a big sandbox without adding much hidden stuff. While Bethesdas sandbox is full with hidden treasure that you can go hunting for.

Pompey71

May 31, 2009
I think Fallout wins it for Bethesda. In fairness--- Oblivion might have had places to go but there was crap all to do once you got there but Fallout has TONS of nooks and crannies. Rockstar games don't leave anything to find by chance, it's always pointed out as part of a mission/sidequest. It should really be a fight of Fallout vs Red Dead and I personally say Fallout pips it.