Poll: People are Terrible.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
So. I'm a jaded cynic and pretty much believe that human beings are fundamentally scum. As a great man once said, "when I'm in a crowd of people, I always wonder 'who left all this shit everywhere? You're shit, I'm shit, we're all shit'.

I'm just wondering what the ratio is on this site of optimists vs. pessimists when it comes to human nature. I would make a third option, like "It depends", or "Humorous non-sequitur!", but whenever I see one of those in a poll I choose it just to spite the scientific method, so just answer in a world of BLACK AND WHITE ABSOLUTISM.
(Obviously no one believes the world is purely good or purely bad, but you must believe that human nature is more one than the other.)

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
Most people arnt terrible, mos tpeople are gennerally nic eif you get to know them and and would do anythiung to protect loved ones or loved things.

If you get rigt down to it, most people are good i tihhnk

Motti

Jan 26, 2009
mechanixis said:
I choose it just to spite the scientific method, so just answer in a world of BLACK AND WHITE ABSOLUTISM.
That's your problem right there. Human nature is neither completely good nor evil, it's simply various shades of grey. Hitler abhorred animal cruelty, yet he caused the deaths of millions of his own race. Black and white are merely generalisations.
EDIT: but to answer your question, yeah most people are shit. It's the people who aren't that give me a reason to live.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
mechanixis said:
I would make a third option, like "It depends", or "Humorous non-sequitur!", but whenever I see one of those in a poll I choose it just to spite the scientific method, so just answer in a world of BLACK AND WHITE ABSOLUTISM.
There is no such world. Therefore, your poll is invalid.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Motti said:
mechanixis said:
I choose it just to spite the scientific method, so just answer in a world of BLACK AND WHITE ABSOLUTISM.
That's your problem right there. Human nature is neither completely good nor evil, it's simply various shades of grey. Hitler abhorred animal cruelty, yet he caused the deaths of millions of his own race. Black and white are merely generalisations.
Well, what I'm saying is, if you HAD to pick one or the other. Unless you believe that mankind is split PERFECTLY down the middle between good and evil, you have to believe that humanity is either more good than bad or vice versa.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
People are okay. They just suck sometimes because they don't know better. Most people strive to be good though. It's human nature to get along, because that's how we advance socially and as a species. It's things like TV news and media advertising that gives people the incorrect idea that most people are intrinsically horrible.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
Most people are good, however society has made it somewhat difficult for them to be so.

To OP: Your poll needs more options other than "black or white"

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
No they are not. Good qualities tend to outweight bad in an ordinary human. Most people are genuinely nice,if a bit stupid or misguided. It's just that assholes are more vocal and powerful.

Nov 11, 2008
Morality doesn't exist, There is only the Logical and the Illogical, Only by realizing this fact can you understand the true cruelty and beauty of this universe.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
False, people are generally nice and helpful and what one might call good.
Terrible people exist, of course, but they are in my experience an extremely slim minority.
Absolutes don't really work when it comes to morals or subjective judgement or similar wishy-washy stuff, by the way.

Uncreative

Oct 29, 2009
In my experience, let a single person do something, theyll be ok...But when you get them in a larger group they tend to form new rules about whats OK and whats Not. And kicking orphans in the balls can be uncomfortably close to the former.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
101194 said:
Morality doesn't exist, There is only the Logical and the Illogical, Only by realizing this fact can you understand the true cruelty and beauty of this universe.
Logic is also a moral system.

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
My experience has been that people are more or less okay in ones or twos, and downright stupid in groups of ten or above. The more people you put together in one place, the farther the collective IQ tends to plummet.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
dreadedcandiru99 said:
My experience has been that people are more or less okay in ones or twos, and downright stupid in groups of ten or above. The more people you put together in one place, the farther the collective IQ tends to plummet.
It's like...the opposite of the Geth.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Look I believe that indivdual personalities can be nice decent and good people and can go hand in hand with the bad people, however collectivley the human race is fundementally savage and destructive partly because of the indivdual personalities that all conflict and crash together hence the only way for humans to be completely at peace would be if we all sacrificed individualism and all thought with a single mind.
And I'm not sure I'd really condone such an idea.

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
People are inherently malevolent.
They are good for purely selfish reasons, if at all, or because they think that's the way they'll get more out of others.

Humans are parasites that only feed on other humans.
Correction, Humans are parasites that feed on EVERYTHING. But hey we do it in style.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
I would say yes they are on the basis that if animals could think and organise themselves, they'd try and wipe humans out...

It doesn't take a genius to work out that we're a bad influence on the planet...

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Another internet Misanthrope? Geez, seen alot of you bunch today

Anyway, people are people. They do what they want. Claiming people are terrible based on your stereotypes is as stupid as claiming that Mexicans are lazy cause Aunt Emmie said so