Poll: People are Terrible.

Grand_Pamplemousse

Aug 17, 2009
People will only ever do good because they fear retribution for not doing it. Whether this manifests itself as religious retribution or punishment from the law.

People will only ever do good because they see some form of benefit for themselves if the good is accomplished, this could be recognition, fame, money or other material gain.

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
Disaster Button said:
Why do the new people always quote Yahtzee?

But it basically boils down to some people are some people aren't. There's this little thing I like to call the "grey area." Kind of comes inbetween black and white.
They think that being like yahtzee makes them cool.

gibboss28 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1SuMgOnaXk

Watch it, its an interesting take on Cynicism
Very interesting.

Sethran

Jedi
Jun 15, 2008
Hey, it's another "Let's be like Yahtzee" thread. My, what a shocker.

Anyways, people themselves aren't shit - people who don't think for themselves and form their own opinions instead of, say, quoting someone they like relentlessly, are shit. For some reason, there is an anomalously large amount of that kind of person in this world.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
People are NOT terrible! Mostly.

From my own personal experiences, a person, left to their devices, will mostly try to help one another, since it natural for us to do so - we work in packs, and cooperation for a common goal is instinctive for us.

In my personal opinion most people are like blank sheets: they change depending on how they were brought up.

Glass_House

Jun 29, 2009
I too find that most people generally tend to be fine to speak to one on one. But when it comes to being in a large group the douche tends to shine through.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
people generally aren't douchbags mc assfuck's, but the latter are usually more interesting.

Versago

May 28, 2009
mechanixis said:
Versago said:
heyheysg said:
People are people.

That is all.

I don't believe in good or evil, right or wrong.

Moral Relativist
Second that :)
I had a point but that more or less sums it up.

There is no good or evil but thinking makes it so.
Aha, I never said 'good or evil.' I said 'good or bad.'
Its just a quote (not sure who from though), its just says the goodness and BADness are relative concepts; like beauty, terrorism or Deli quality (quote Tim Minchin for that one)

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
I hold absolutely no faith in the human race as a whole, but could not truly say 'people are terrible' as it's far too individual/perspective based.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
mechanixis said:
So. I'm a jaded cynic and pretty much believe that human beings are fundamentally scum. As a great man once said, "when I'm in a crowd of people, I always wonder 'who left all this shit everywhere? You're shit, I'm shit, we're all shit'.
Uhm, there's your problem right there, you used a cynic who destroys video games as your basis for general cynism towards the human race.

No, not all people are bad. That's the most ridiculous notion I've ever heard. I know people who would give their arm just to help another person. Not everyone in the world is messed up.

archi-p

Jun 5, 2009
people as a whole are stupid, evil, and greedy.
however, a person can be smart, nice, and kind.
theyre all stupid though.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Kollega said:
No they are not. Good qualities tend to outweight bad in an ordinary human. Most people are genuinely nice,if a bit stupid or misguided. It's just that assholes are more vocal and powerful.

Yup, this pretty much. Nice people don't shout at you in the street or mug you; they're less noticable.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I've met good people. Pessimism is just something funny/cool that people like saying. Yes, humans are flawed, but that doesn't make them fundamentally bad.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
I personally see things such as Dogs over Humans. Humanity is failing in my eyes.

["Find me a kind person and I will kiss their ass"]

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
I would say that most people are good. Which is why it's all the bad people who stand out.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
The mob always looks terrible when you're not in it.
If you're one of the peasants with pitchforks, it's a great time.

I'm in an odd position, though.
I'm not into group stuff, nor can I stand being excessively negative or trying to hate people for being people.

I'm quite positive...

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
Grand_Pamplemousse said:
People will only ever do good because they fear retribution for not doing it. Whether this manifests itself as religious retribution or punishment from the law.

People will only ever do good because they see some form of benefit for themselves if the good is accomplished, this could be recognition, fame, money or other material gain.
Do not project your own personality flaws onto others.

A lot of people try to do good things because of compassion.