Poll: People are Terrible.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
mechanixis said:
I pretty much believe that human beings are fundamentally scum.
Huh?

101194 said:
Morality doesn't exist...
Now wait just a sec......

MaxTheReaper said:
Humans are parasites that only feed on other humans.
That's not entirely tru......

mechanixis said:
You're shit, I'm shit, we're all shit'.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

[small]*HardRockSamurai has committed suicide*[/small]

LooK iTz Jinjo

Feb 22, 2009
People suck, join the club. Actually there is a new political party being formed; "The People who Hate People Party" (PHPP for short) but you're all going to be there so I'm not going.

Kruxxor

Jan 18, 2009
mechanixis said:
So. I'm a jaded cynic and pretty much believe that human beings are fundamentally scum. As a great man once said, "when I'm in a crowd of people, I always wonder 'who left all this shit everywhere? You're shit, I'm shit, we're all shit'.

I'm just wondering what the ratio is on this site of optimists vs. pessimists when it comes to human nature. I would make a third option, like "It depends", or "Humorous non-sequitur!", but whenever I see one of those in a poll I choose it just to spite the scientific method, so just answer in a world of BLACK AND WHITE ABSOLUTISM.
(Obviously no one believes the world is purely good or purely bad, but you must believe that human nature is more one than the other.)
I agree whole heartedly that people are shit. There are some very nice people in the world, but they are very few and far between. This world it mainly full of scum.

Tacota

Oct 18, 2009
People always have bad thoughts, some just don't act on them as much.

People are inherently bad. Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I don't necessarily think people are terrible as in they have ill or malicious intent, i just think a good chunk of the population is fucking stupid.

CargoHold

Sep 16, 2009
Interesting thread- I like the idea of your black and white poll.

I'm going to have to go with false on this one- humans as a race are terrible, but while people in general are often misguided and stupid, I don't think they're terrible (which I take to mean inherently evil).

Like someone up there^ said, assholes just tend to be a lot more noticeable. I work at a DVD store and I always remember the one woman who went nuts over a $1 late fee, but I won't remember the 15 friendly customers before her. That idicates that nice customers/people are the norm because I notice them less, so I guess, generally, people are just fine.

*Hums the Richard Cheese cover of People=Shit*

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Why do the new people always quote Yahtzee?

But it basically boils down to some people are some people aren't. There's this little thing I like to call the "grey area." Kind of comes inbetween black and white.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Ok, for anyone who has read John Marsden's 'Tomorrow Series', you should know what I am talking about.

"Evil is a creation of man."

This also means that good must also be an invention of man as you cannot have one without the other. And here-in lies the crux of the point, people being bad is a good thing because it means people can choose to be good. So basically there wouldn't be good things if there wasn't evil.
BonsaiK said:
101194 said:
Morality doesn't exist, There is only the Logical and the Illogical, Only by realizing this fact can you understand the true cruelty and beauty of this universe.
Logic is also a moral system.
Ah, wrong, sort of. Logic can be used as a framework for a moral system but some morals must be chosen as good or bad and given value in there respective fields, so that you can LOGICALLY choose which is more morally right by your standards. Logic alone is not morally anything.

Edit: I chose good, 'cause, by my standards (my idea (correct idea mind you) of ethics), everyone is good, just not relative to everyone else.

EDIT2: Oh for heaven's sake, I hope you all die in a fire made of happiness, just so that you can see the happiness all around you before you leave this world you horribly depressed people. On a semi-tanjent, aren't storms just awesome!?!?

CobaltBomber

Sep 16, 2009
I like humans, but most people are jackasses. Hopefully we'll eventually get past that. Maybe once we're out IN SPACE!!!

Juven Ignus

Sep 10, 2009
I don't think that humans are terrible, but I don't think we're saints either. There are some really good people and some really bad apples, but most fall in a gray area, methinks.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Disaster Button said:

But it basically boils down to some people are some people aren't. There's this little thing I like to call the "grey area." Kind of comes inbetween black and white.
I CALL COP-OUT.

The thing is, even shades of gray are made up of black and white. So unless you think that EVERYTHING is EXACTLY 50% black and 50% white, you therefore must believe that there is more of one or the other. So, which is it?

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
HardRockSamurai said:
[small]*HardRockSamurai has committed suicide*[/small]
Quick, only hard rock can save this man!
Initiate "Headbanging"-CPR, STAT!

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
mechanixis said:
Disaster Button said:

I CALL COP-OUT.

The thing is, even shades of gray are made up of black and white. So unless you think that EVERYTHING is EXACTLY 50% black and 50% white, you therefore must believe that there is more of one or the other. So, which is it?
Damn you and youre quick way of twisting my metaphor.

But if you wanna know I think more people are terrible than are nice. But it still doesn't come under the "everyone is terrible" banner or the "everyone is a rainbow vomiting unicorn made of sunshine" banner so that's why I choose the grey.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
People are people.

That is all.

I don't believe in good or evil, right or wrong.

Moral Relativist

Snake422

Feb 12, 2008
I live in a town a town that has two pedophiles in it is filled with racist, druggys and religious nuts that say your going to hell for not being in there religion. A town that took part in the race war's of the 60's beating the shit out of black's and generally anyone who wasn't white.

Last winter I found a Swastika carved in the ice of the town lake.
To cut threw the crap cake here people are hopeless, worthless and we will be are own undoing.

Did I mention I'm a pessimists and a cynic.

fuzzball

Jun 7, 2009
I think most people are good, but it is the jackass that tends to make the their asshole qualities shine through the crowd of generally good people that is society. The general idea that most people are assholes causes other people to be on the edge and waiting for an asshole to walk up and be an asshole to them, so they prepare themselves mentally and when you do walk up to them with good intentions they treat you like an asshole cause they are expecting you to be like everyone else and be an asshole. Its a self feeding type thing.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
my answer is true, from personal experience if someone can get something by walking all over you they'll do it with little or no hesitation. and after being trod on a few too many times it's hard to see that mythical good side in anyone.
I would only classify 3 people i know as good or even trying to be. everyone else i know has a bad streak a mile wide and some are even proud of it.

and as far as other people in society being good or tryin to be, obviously they aren't trying hard enough.
especially if they've got money to spare, and aren't helping the people who're starving on their very doorsteps let alone anything farther reaching.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
mechanixis said:
I'm just wondering what the ratio is on this site of optimists vs. pessimists when it comes to human nature. I would make a third option, like "It depends", or "Humorous non-sequitur!", but whenever I see one of those in a poll I choose it just to spite the scientific method, so just answer in a world of BLACK AND WHITE ABSOLUTISM.
The poll isn't black and white absolutism, though. I chose false because it encompasses every possibility where people are not terrible. People can still be pretty bad without being terrible.