Poll: People are Terrible.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
It's like I said over this-a-way [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.152651]:

When I see a thread along these lines, the impression I get is this:

"Hello. I'm a troll, here's my card. Please feed me."

Shine-osophical said:
OT: I am sick and tired of these people = bastards threads mainly because;

1. It changes nothing
2. It makes people look worse than they are which makes more people think people suck
3. It draws attention away from the fact that people are inherently good.
4. It all turns into a giant flame war against the non-responsive population (we (you?) flame them but they don't read it so they can't respond)
This, btw.

mcp1992

Aug 31, 2009
I believe that the majority of people are terrible mainly based on personal experience for each good person i've met there are a lot more ***holes and unfortunatly these a.holes end up breeding and making crappy kids and the cycle continues and society ends up in the crapper.

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
101194 said:
Morality doesn't exist, There is only the Logical and the Illogical, Only by realizing this fact can you understand the true cruelty and beauty of this universe.
Logic is for those without strength.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
God I hate posts like this (because they're all people trying to be cool on the internet).

Why are people so terrible? Most people aren't murderers, rapists or thieves. If things are so bad you only make things worse by whining and trying to act cool with the whole: "Yeah I hate the human race, dude".

And now for the stereotype of the day: You sound like a bunch of goths/emo's.

Ciarnyn

Oct 12, 2009
No, I completely disagree. Most of the bad things people do are for reasons we just don't understand. Granted, there are some people in the world who are just messed up, or who don't understand the consequences of their actions. But I think a lot of the time, we just don't get to see the whole picture of why they are acting that way. We just see it from our perspective and judge them based on that. And let's not forget the natural human tendancy to vilify people for things which we readily forgive in ourselves.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
Humans are a stain on the arse of the world. We would be better of if everybody was dead. Especially you steve

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Its not humanity's fault, we're all just really stupid beings. We can't possibly have empathy for more than a couple hundred people at most, our brains just don't work that way (apparently).

I try to care about everyone as human beings but its really really hard, and just serves to make you feel depressed and horrible about 99% of the time. I guess its really more of a coping mechanism

Also...

Woodsey said:
God I hate posts like this (because they're all people trying to be cool on the internet).

Why are people so terrible? Most people aren't murderers, rapists or thieves. If things are so bad you only make things worse by whining and trying to act cool with the whole: "Yeah I hate the human race, dude".

And now for the stereotype of the day: You sound like a bunch of goths/emo's.

Why when people are discussing something it automatically makes them whiners and posers? Isn't that what discussion forums are for? If discussions are so whiny and posey then why do you only make things worse by trying to act cool and adding to the discussing thread you think is whiny? "Yeah you guys are whiners but I'm going to contribute to your posing thread because... its fun to troll!"

And now for the fact of your existence on this forum: You're a gigantic troll.

Gee that is fun, and easy to do too!

Tsuillo

Sep 5, 2009
I'm sure one could bicker all day about the nature of morality, and the basis in which good and evil are taken from different viewpoints and differing opinion...

But as I see it, people are naturally good at an underlying level. Of course, like any general proclivity, it's often bent and swayed far into the dark side easily.

People don't do bad things because they're evil douche-bags, (though some are) They do shitty things because they've come up with a justification for doing shitty things. One doesn't go out and kick a dog because they feel like a masochistic jerk, perhaps the dog bit them once, or smells really bad, or has committed some action that one believes the proper recourse is a stern punishment.

Say someone cuts you off in traffic, it's not because they're jovially giggling about how much better they are than you (at least not for the transportational faux-pah) perhaps they're in a rush, or miscalculated timing, or didn't see you.

What I'm getting at, is that very few people go out of their way to be dicks, just for the sake of being a dick. They're jerks for the fact of their actions, but from their side, the actions are rationalized.

The question of good and evil lay with the subject, someone does something to you, and you must choose weather to view that action as a 'good' or 'bad' action, regardless of what it may be.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
At the most basic level, people suck. They're narcissistic arseholes who care about nothing except their own personal benefit. Obviously, a lot of people aren't like this, but I believe that this is because of social conditioning rather than actual human nature.

Allow me to demonstrate. I would argue that a newborn baby is humanity at its most basic level: it has had nothing to influence its behaviour other than its genes, and knows nothing of social conventions or pressures. Now, what does a baby do when it doesn't get exactly what it wants, when it wants it? It screams and yells, and inconveniences everybody else until it and it alone is happy.

And that is my (fairly sound, in my opinion) argument for why people suck.

Grand_Pamplemousse

Aug 17, 2009
cuddly_tomato said:
Grand_Pamplemousse said:
People will only ever do good because they fear retribution for not doing it. Whether this manifests itself as religious retribution or punishment from the law.

People will only ever do good because they see some form of benefit for themselves if the good is accomplished, this could be recognition, fame, money or other material gain.
Do not project your own personality flaws onto others.

A lot of people try to do good things because of compassion.
Whatever, provide one single example in which the helper has not received any benefit at all, or faced retribution if they did not help in the situation as needed.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
So, from this we can conclude: the majority of Escapists here have a negative outlook on people, but the ones with a positive outlook on people are significantly more vocal and pissy about it.

Cool.