Poll: Physical Punishment Towards Children, Yay or Nay?

kidd25

Jun 13, 2011
i say yes, a child need to be spank to learn some things, when they become older it should happen less. Also spanking the butt is not child abuse until it is taken to far.

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
Like almost ANYTHING else, people can take it too far. But I think that discipline is something that is sorely lacking in our society. Children are generally obnoxious, entitled twats nowadays because there are so few consequences for their actions, especially at school. The US is dropping quickly in education, and it's not entirely because of a lack of funding (I could make the argument that the schools get quite enough, but just spend it on stupid crap like "smart" boards, but that's another argument), it's also because they have absolutely no power over the students. I went to a private school, and the principal was allowed to paddle students who acted up. As you can imagine, it didn't happen often. No one wanted the paddling or the ultimate shame that came with it. Public punishment is a heck of a tool.

Return the power of just punishment to the schools, and our education system will improve in no time. Return it to parents, without fear of idiotic lawsuits or bogus assault charges, and maybe kids will stop being such insufferable jerks.

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
unoleian said:
Notice there's a difference between abuse and behavior correction. A vast, vast difference.
Pretty much this.
/Mind you, i dont like children, so i dont think the foul creature should have been spawned anyway.

The Lesbian Flower

May 25, 2011
orangeban said:
Well, you just have to try to explain.

Y'know, there are a lot of similarities between prison and child-raising (now hear me out on this one). There are really two school of thoughts on how we should treat prisoners/children. One says that we should punish them, beat them/jail them/hard labour them until they stop doing it. Another says that we should rehabilitate/educate them into understanding why they shouldn't do it. And you may say, "my child is a amoral dickhole, who doesn't care about others," but you explain things on their terms.

"If you do this, people won't like you, and people who don't like won't want to be around you and you'll end up with no friends." Use that line of argument if explaining why it's wrong doesn't work. After reasoning comes explaining how they lose out. Not hitting.
I can see that, too. However, I believe it all boils down to the child themselves. My parents spanked me when I was little and deserved it and most of my friends were never physically punished. We all turned out alright. We go to a good school, aren't in trouble with the law, don't do drugs. Since my parents disciplined me and I couldn't walk all over them, I turned out better for it and was able to associate with the friends I have now (and I guess my friends are just inherently better people xD). My point is, we should discipline the children that need it and not treat them all as some collectively good or bad entity. Each child reacts differently to physical discipline. Also that some children DO need physical discipline to learn.

Though, I can see your logic and it does make sense.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Well I never got a smack as a child, and I'm pretty sure I turned out fine so...

Really though, it's less about the punishment, more about how the parent initially teaches the child right from wrong, and how well they are raised. My parents were never a bad influence to me, my dad used to smoke out the door (we have a 2-part door) so I never noticed, and none of the fumes got into the house, and my mum has always let me have the freedom of making my own choices, without being too lenient.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
The Lesbian Flower said:
orangeban said:
I can see that, too. However, I believe it all boils down to the child themselves. My parents spanked me when I was little and deserved it and most of my friends were never physically punished. We all turned out alright. We go to a good school, aren't in trouble with the law, don't do drugs. Since my parents disciplined me and I couldn't walk all over them, I turned out better for it and was able to associate with the friends I have now (and I guess my friends are just inherently better people xD). My point is, we should discipline the children that need it and not treat them all as some collectively good or bad entity. Each child reacts differently to physical discipline. Also that some children DO need physical discipline to learn.

Though, I can see your logic and it does make sense.
Thanks, though I would say in rebuttal, I know a lot of adults who frankly need physical discipline to learn. Would I give it to them? Hell no. Should anyone? Hell no. You shouldn't hit adults, you shouldn't hit kids, makes sense to me.

Also, you don't need to hit kids to stop them walking all over you, I think the best method is positive reinforcement when they do good, and a lack of positive reinforcement when they do bad, ALONG SIDE (Caps because this is the key part) an explanation of what they did wrong, why it is wrong and what they should of done.

mercifulwrath

Feb 18, 2011
I'm just trying to not be a hypocrite. I think it's a parent's responsibility to say whether a child can play a video game or see a movie, not the Supreme Court's, and I think it should apply to disciplining a child as well.

Scrubiii

Apr 19, 2011
There is a very specific group in society that I feel is in need of physical punishment. First, let me make a few things clear about my point of view.
1. Physical punishment should never be used on a child under the age of 10, regardless of circumstance. Studies have shown that violent discipline against very young children can be seriously damaging to their mental development. They need coaxing to help them understand why what they are doing is wrong.
2. It should not be used all the time. Punishing something like a teenager forgetting their homework with violence is pointless. This is often from genuine forgetfulness or rushing to leave the house and forgetting their work. This does not need physical punishment to correct.

Now to the point. The group referenced above is, of course, chavs. To anyone outside the UK who does not know what a chav is, I'll take a moment to explain. A chav is the kind of teenager who skives school to hang around bus stops smoking in a shell suit and swearing at everyone who passes by. They generally grow up in poorer communities, with parents who simply do not give a fuck. They are usually uneducated due to the fact that they attend school about once a year.

Despite this, most chavs believe that they are the single most amazing person on the planet, and that everyone else is so inferior that they should feel graced to be in their presence. They act like this because, now that using violence to discipline children has been made illegal in Britain, they believe that nothing can touch them. This illusion is ended when their parents kick them out, and they find themselves either unemployed or in prison.

What they need, more than anything, is a good smack to let them know that people aren't going to take their bullshit.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Call me old-fashioned, but I see nothing wrong with spanking and intend to spank my own... in the unlikely event I ever have any.

Ris

Mar 31, 2011
I don't see what harm a smack could cause, but it should be open palm on the bum or thigh, nowhere else. It should also be the very last resort.

My mum probably smacked me about 10 times as a kid, but all I really remember is the threat of it. As a kid I viewed smacking as the Ultimate Punishment, and I knew the warning signs and treated them as boundaries that indicated when I needed to stop my bad behaviour. In the end she didn't need to actually physically smack me, the threat of it kept me in line most of the time and taught me when enough was enough.

The older I got obviously the less she did it, and the less she needed to because I was old enough to feel that I'd be punished in subtler ways; making her sad, seeing that she was disappointed. I wouldn't have understood that stuff at 5, so a smack on the arse was justified.

ShatterPalm

Sep 25, 2010
Allow me to say that punishment is how my entire family was raised, and both me, my parents, my sisters, my cousins, my uncles, aunts, grandparents, and In laws of all varieties are all smart, fairly talented, and are, will be, or have been, active and productive members of society, simply because we all went through our childhood under the fear of being smacked sidelong. Meanwhile there are people I know who steep themselves in weed everymorning and don't give a shit about anything or anyone, including their parents.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
oh hell yeah, its worked great for past generations, until no body did it anymore then you got us.

im not saying permanently hurt the kid but let the little fucker know who's boss....and keep him quiet in the grocery store damn it!

Nachtmahr said:
Mikeyfell said:
yep. Small children (And dogs for that matter) don't under stand words if they're doing something wrong physical pain will make them stop.

If they are old enough to understand words *and they don't listen to you. Fuck it beat their asses anyway. tangible punishment. Carrot and stick only works if there's a stick.
I seriously hope you never own a dog. And if you do, see what hitting one for mistakes will turn them into.
really? you never trained many dogs have you? when the little thing wets the carpet and stick his nose in it, if that doesn't work, spank him with a news paper.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
No. The child should be shown that all conflict and arguments can be resolved with speech foremost.

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
Yes, but there's obviously a limit. A parent shouldn't be beating their kid with a baseball bat. If I remember correctly my parents used a wooden spoon, hurt like hell, but very effective.

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
A kid needs a good slap sometimes ...nuff said

don't get me wrong .. i'll never hit my kid unless he fucked up badly and on purpose

seen how disrespectful most of the kids are nowadays? some seriously need a good slap

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
anthony87 said:
theblackcat33 said:
I say no.
If a parent is only capable to dealing with a child by smacking them, they are unfit to have them.
So then what would you recommend?
Ehmm I wonder is strict simple rules and the word "No" so bloody hard to use? If you manage to teach that no is really no and not "if you wine enough, yes...." And starting early is very clever makes it easier later on...

Sure I were not an angel but when mum said no, well you learned that you might argue but saying "please" 50 times just made sure she would not change her mind.

Instead of hitting you make sure the kid understand what it can loose (the vegs you left for dinner you could get as breakfast, it is not very tasty, or sitting by the table for not eating them for 3 hours. It takes some time and effort but that was it, always ate my veg...). Scream in the store yea she would leave me there (still kept a close eye on me but I didn't know that)...

But I reserve, not the right, but the possibility of having to show force by a slap (not bruising or use of tool..) as the last thing.
But if you (as parent) step over that line you must be sure to face the consequences and making sure the kid understands the seriousness in what happened (and not just "don't do it again" more of "don't because you might kill yourself/other people and that is really wrong...")

Nachtmahr

Feb 17, 2011
Jegsimmons said:
oh hell yeah, its worked great for past generations, until no body did it anymore then you got us.

im not saying permanently hurt the kid but let the little fucker know who's boss....and keep him quiet in the grocery store damn it!

Nachtmahr said:
Mikeyfell said:
yep. Small children (And dogs for that matter) don't under stand words if they're doing something wrong physical pain will make them stop.

If they are old enough to understand words *and they don't listen to you. Fuck it beat their asses anyway. tangible punishment. Carrot and stick only works if there's a stick.
I seriously hope you never own a dog. And if you do, see what hitting one for mistakes will turn them into.
really? you never trained many dogs have you? when the little thing wets the carpet and stick his nose in it, if that doesn't work, spank him with a news paper.
I have trained exactly one dog. A border collie. I have never had to hit him or yell at him to get him to behave.

I feel very sorry for whatever dogs you have, with that kind of attitude.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Nachtmahr said:
Jegsimmons said:

Nachtmahr said:
Mikeyfell said:

I have trained exactly one dog. A border collie. I have never had to hit him or yell at him to get him to behave.

I feel very sorry for whatever dogs you have, with that kind of attitude.
you assume i'm breaking his back, you dont hit it hard. DUURRR!!
all you need is one whack every time he messes up and he'll learn quick enough.