Poll: Poll: BioWare or Bethesda?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Cuy said:
GeorgW said:
It's not even a question for me, Bioware all the way! Bethesda's games are so glitchy nowadays... But old school fallout was great!
Though old school Fallout was made by competent people, not Bethesda. Even so, Fallout 2 is really glitchy, but that had more to do with Black Isle and Interplay not having enough time and money, rather than incompetence, such as the case with Bethesda.
I wouldn't say that bethesda is incompetent. Fallout 3 for example was only buggy because it was so big, and even then, it wasn't that glitchy. New Vegas on the other hand, which was made by Obsidian, is simply built on the same glitchy engine and is much worse. This is both incompetence and laziness.

Durxom

May 12, 2009
I'm going to say neither and go with Obsidian. They make better games in each's respective franchises than the companies can do themselves. They also could have probably fixed the massive disappointment that Mass Effect 2 was too :/

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
I have to side with Bioware simply because of the Infinity Engine without which Planescape Torment might have been very different or non-existent.

josephmatthew10

Jun 24, 2010
knight56 said:
How about we hook them up at a party and go with Biothesda. Bioware keeps its narritive while opening up the world more. Bethesda keeps its freedom while offering better combat. And Bioware should pick up the slack Q/A testing by itself.
Amen to that! BioThesda would be the greatest! Then they could get Obsidian and give LucasArts KOTOR II: The Finished Edition.

josephmatthew10

Jun 24, 2010
Cuy said:
To my knowledge, there are no bad Bioware games. But there are bad Bethesda games. So yeah, Bioware it is.

Just look at all of those games and tell me I'm wrong. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bethesda_Softworks_games]
Hey, are you with some video game version of the KKK? Because I've seen you lynch Bethesda on about a dozen other threads. Did Bethesda eat your baby or something?

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
Bioware. Bethesda may have the huge epic game worlds, but aside from that there's not much really going for them at all. Without much detail, things just get real boring real quick.

Nov 28, 2007
Bioware made Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, two of my favorite games of all time. Coupled with Jade Empire, Dragon Age Origins, and KOTOR, and my choice is obvious.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
BioWare. They may be total d***heads and bunch of EA's a**hole licking dumbasses, but i they made some wonderful games. Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, precisely - first one has totally amazing story and feeling of epicness, the second one has best characters and great gameplay. For me, these are the best RPG's ever made.

Bethesda? I never understood games they make. I completely dislike their gameplay mechanics.

HolocaustBoy

Nov 11, 2010
I can't really speak for myself on this. But some may side with the Bioware team because it has made Mass Effect's 1 and two, Dragon Age, AND The award winning Star Wars:KotOR. Whilst Bethesda has the Fallout series and Wet. Seeing as though Kotor was basically my childhood in gaming. And it has Mass Effect 2, I am going to have to say Bioware. Even though I am in deep love with Bethesda for Fallout 3 and helping design New Vegas.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I might be biased, because my experience with Bioware is limited to the Mass Effect's and Dragon Age whereas I've been playing Morrowind for about 8 years now but I don't like Bioware games. They are too restricted and I find the huge overbearing plot really saps the fun factor from the games.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
I like both companies and I rather liked Fallout 3 (had to be modded up the wazoo though) but I didn't really feel like I was part of some post-nuclear apocalypse. On the flipside, at the beginning of my first playthrough of Mass Effect 1 I felt completely immersed and hooked. I mean, how could you not feel shivers going down your back after watching this?

I've finished Mass Effect 1 around 6 times now and this still sends shivers down my spine.

The Music by Jack Wall and Sam Hulick also had to add to the complete immersion.

oniemiru

Feb 6, 2010
Bethesda without doubt...
Tribunal, Morrowind, oblivion an (arguable) Fallout 3 all great games.
what goes for Bioware? Mass effect is good but...
Baldurs gate sucks
baldurs gate 2 sucks even harder
Neverwinter nights is a joke
dragon age origins is a totaly predictable and soulless wannabe RPG
and Sonic chronicles... yeah... sonic...

Bethesda rule the western RPG world, hopefully they will proof it again with Skyrim next year...

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
While both of them are good Bethesda loses points from me for some of its efforts as a producer(Rogue Warrior most specifically). That being said with what they have coming out next year(Brink, RAGE, Elder Scrolls), they might be able to redeem themselves but I have difficulty believing they'll surpass Bioware.

fates_puppet13

Dec 20, 2010
bioware
bethesda have this way of screwing up game immersion with little things like the conversation system
alough i do have to say oblivion is one of my favourite games when my computer decides to run it

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
PatrickXD said:
huge overbearing plot
I don't think I've ever heard somebody complain about a game having "too much plot." It's usually a lack of one, which Bethesda has mastered. Then again, I wouldn't expect someone who advocates the open-world experienc, like that in Fallout 3, to realize a good plot when they see one. Especially since the plot in FO3 was almost non-existant.

AWOL

Jun 22, 2010
Bethesda, hands down. I love BioWare also, so dont get me wrong, but the open-ended freedom of Bethesda's games is by far better than the linear stories of BioWare in my opinion.

BioWare still has some of my favorite games, but its no contest to me.