Poll: Poll: BioWare or Bethesda?

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
I enjoy Bioware games, but the sheer amount of hours I've spent wandering around in Bethesda's landscapes make me choose Bethesda.

northeast rower

Dec 14, 2010
Cuy said:
To my knowledge, there are no bad Bioware games. But there are bad Bethesda games. So yeah, Bioware it is.

Just look at all of those games and tell me I'm wrong. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bethesda_Softworks_games]
You are wrong. Bethesda publishes plenty of good games. Bioware is great, don't get me wrong, but it has a messy track record too, just like any developer. That Sonic RPG? Yeah, that's not GOTY material. Not to mention that they have something like four franchises. Bethesda at least has a varied track record. I agree that Bioware is the better of the two, but Bethesda isn't that far behind in my opinion.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
Baron Von Evil Satan said:
BioWare. I've just always felt like the story and writing were much more immersive than Bethseda. I also always thought Bethesda's games lacked a lot of direction, it just sort of set a massive world before you and didn't really tell you where to go.

However, if you could combine Bethesda's gameplay and world style, and BioWare's writing and story development I think it would possibly be the best RPG known to man.
my thought's exactly.

I do like the lack of direction in Morrowind but it just does not work for me in Oblivion.
Gameplay wise Bioware is starting to slack off imo, yet their stories have a hold over me.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Bethesda is great, but they can never win this contest for 2 reasons:

1.People played many more Bioware games than Bethesda games. I mean, the only Bethesda games I've ever played were Fallout3 and a bit of Oblivion. I don't even know if they HAVE any other series'. On the other hand: Mass Effect=Legend; KotOR=Legend; Dragon Age=not legend, but not all that bad either. That right there is 3 RPGs quoted to be some of the best ever made(okay, maybe just ME and KotOR are quoted)

2.Bethesda, seriously STOP that zooming into faces thing. It's unnatural, and creepy, and just......weird. Seriously cut it out.

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
Bioware, when I complete a bioware game. My first thought is "I wanna do that again". If I complete a Bethesda game, I feel as if I have done everything already, and can't be bothered.

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
Bioware games win for their interesting stories and character development.

Bethesda games win in the amount of content they're able to put in their games. (though Hunted: Demon's Forge might change that)

northeast rower

Dec 14, 2010
Cuy said:
northeast rower said:
Cuy said:
To my knowledge, there are no bad Bioware games. But there are bad Bethesda games. So yeah, Bioware it is.

Just look at all of those games and tell me I'm wrong. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bethesda_Softworks_games]
You are wrong. Bethesda publishes plenty of good games. Bioware is great, don't get me wrong, but it has a messy track record too, just like any developer. That Sonic RPG? Yeah, that's not GOTY material. Not to mention that they have something like four franchises. Bethesda at least has a varied track record. I agree that Bioware is the better of the two, but Bethesda isn't that far behind in my opinion.
Most of the games they published are horseshit, and most of the games they've developed are as well. Yeah, they've, to a certain degree, improved over the years. But if we do it as a good to bad games ratio, they lose big time.

Publishing good games? Well, Bioware isn't a publisher, so I think that's kind of an unfair contest...
Didn't mean to say publish, meant to say develop. Anyway, my opinion still applies when you read it that way. Besides which, do something besides calling everything "horseshit" if you're going to make an argument. I would like to get specific examples if we're going to argue each other's points.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
theriddlen said:
Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. For me, these are the best RPG's ever made.
Strictly speaking, though, they're Action-RPGs, with greater simmilarities to Borderlands than "real RPGs".

That aside, they still rock. BioWare is still #1 on my list.

(And as a sidenote, the reason they were "de-RPG'd" is *readies FireRes gear* consoles *cough*)

Ertol

Jul 8, 2010
They are both just good at different things. Bioware's stories are epic and they make terrific rpgs, but its hard to really just wander the world they create. Bethesda makes games with nonexistant stories but a world that I can just walk around and explore for hours.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
That's like choosing a favorite child! D:

Bioware, because I live in Edmonton and they might hunt me down.

jbchillin

Sep 16, 2010
the fact that bethesda fails to make working games makes bioware far superior. beyond that just on the game itself i have enjoyed bioware far more then bethesda

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:
2.Bethesda, seriously STOP that zooming into faces thing. It's unnatural, and creepy, and just......weird. Seriously cut it out.
Exactly, just put some old-school-silent-characters-jrpg-text and we'll be fine. xD

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
While it may ultimately be an issue of pedantics, I'd go with Bioware solely for not continually trying to shove the Gamebryo engine in our faces. However, I'll also go Bioware for not yet having to turn to the modding community to fix one of their games, yet.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
I've finished Mass Effect 1 around 6 times now and this still sends shivers down my spine.
For me, it did the first time. Don't get me wrong, I totally like the game, I got it for 360 at release and for PC at release ('cus PC rulez), but I must admit that I was thoroughly disappointed at the "epicness" of the gameplay.

Judgeing from trailers, and the intro movie, you're like "OMG; this is CRAZY AWESOME! Nail my D to a burning building, long as I can play this game while you do it!"

The remaining 99.5% of the game didn't really reflect that feeling, though. In that sense, I feel it failed miserably.

Mass Effect 2 remedies this completely, in part by scaling down the opening scene, which I believe is for the best, really.