Poll: Poll: Does Call of Duty deserve all the hate it gets?

ediblemitten

Mar 20, 2011
Nope. Its fast paced, addictive, well-made and an overall an excellent shooter. Unfortunately, Activision is basically running the series into the ground after CoD4 (The best of the series, and I've been playing them since CoD1.) Really, I would much prefer a CoD every 2-3 years but with more innovation between each installment.

ediblemitten

Mar 20, 2011
KingFall said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Nope. Single player and co-op modes have always been great, the multiplayer has been...spotty. At it's best in COD4, hasn't been as good since. Black OPs is at least playable, unlike what MW2 eventually became. *insert rant about dual wielding shotguns*
On that note, did you know there's a shotgun you can dual-wield on Black Ops? I've seen one person use it. He sucked. Not as in it worked. He sucked and died. I tried it. I also sucked and died.

CoD doesn't suck. It's a good game. Sometimes you just gotta stick with it. Innovation is good to a point. To a point. I can innovate a smaller, rapid fire gun to help me in close fighting (SMG) or I can 'innovate' a gun that shoots larger guns. That shoot knives. That explode on stab. Into funfetti. That catches on fire...

If we could do something like the halberd with Modern weapons, that'd be your ONLY fucking option.

The only things I don't like about COD are two things.
1) Named after a fish that I wish would die.
2) Why you so fucktarded, 75% of CoD players?

Neither of which are The Sucky Fish's fault.
Erm, he's talking about the 1887's in MW2, not the duals in Black Ops.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
it's odd to me when it is perfectly possible to avoid discussing it, listening to it, seeing it, or playing it.

It reminds me of the stupid hate beiber and R.black get from adults saying how much they dislike music made by and for children, news flash people you are not the intended audience, it would be like me hating "A Is for Apple, Z Is for Zebra"
Because i find the book infantile and unchallenging to my might adult brain, ignoring the fact that the book is intended for pre-schoolers.

danqaz

Aug 6, 2010
What hate? Call of Duty is worshipped.
Personally, not a fan of the game, a tad over rated.
But yea, I'm the only person in my town who thinks that way.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
danqaz said:
It's hated here practically every second of every day... This place has a lot of people who are what game critics WOULD be if they behaved like film critics. Also, welcome to the forums.

OT: CoD gets so much hate here, I find it hard to be believe any game could be deserving of it... I have played it, I don't like it much, but hey, it's not CoD's fault every other shooter is copying it. Blame the unimaginative idiots who think that duplicating the highest-selling phenomenon will result in them overtaking it...

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
No, I don't much care for it but it's design is solid and plenty of people seem to enjoy it. They shouldn't be picked on or bullied for liking it, and it existing is not a curse to the video game industry.

And while I'm here:
NEITHER DOES HALO DESERVE THE LEVEL OF HATRED IT GETS!

MoNKeyYy

Evidence or GTFO
Jun 29, 2010
Atticus113 said:
People hate it because the first campaign was so good and the rest have failed to deliver for the most part. The airport scene's emotion was ruined for me with how people didn't shut up about it and pretty much advertised the game by hyping up that short level.
The airport scene was ruined for me by it's being the single worst attempt at emotional shock and awe and one of the biggest story failures in the history of video games. Don't even get me started on "No Russian". FUCK. THAT. SHIT.

OT: Call of Duty is alright at this point. Meh. Average. Servicable. Everything past oh, I'd say World at War has been that way. My hate comes from three sources.

1. Activision. This is a big one. Half witted greedy dumb asses who are so far disconnected from this medium that they may as well be selling kitchenware. They release a new cash grab every year and cheapen the entire medium as a whole.

2 The over intense multiplayer focus. People sink hundreds, even thousands of hours into Call of duty. I myself have spent around 3-4 days on MW2 (Which, as you recall, was on my average at best list) It's the true epitome of the whole samey, copy-paste, cash grab "Do nothing and claim innovation" mindset that Activision has fallen into. What were BlOp's selling points? Single player? Even less than chosey critics (IGN cough) thought the 1P campaign was short, average and forgetable, albiet fun at the time. Multi-Player? Same thing on the same engine as MW2. New maps and a remote control car, big deal. Zombies? The best thing about the game was an idea from two games ago that was better 2 games ago.

3. The fucking fanbase. Go fuck yourself whiney 12 year old twats.

Call of duty is the reason that no one takes video games seriously as an artistic medium, and the reason that gamers in general are seen as a bunch of douchey 13 year olds who just want to blow shit up in their ultra realistic, violent fantasy power trips when they aren't masturbating into a sock. That's why CoD deserves the hate it gets. Do the games thewmselves deserve it? No, probably not. 3 and 4 remain on my best shooters of all time list and my best stories of all time list, but the franchise as a whole can go fuck itself.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I don't like it becuase I think FPS games are boring and mindless they always have really bad and short campaigns and I also hate war themed games because they are just depressing.

I think many people dislike COD becuase it has started a trend of developers simplifying or streamlining games to get massive mainstream sales. Like Dragon Age 2. /shudder.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
wow... a lot of hate here, but some good points.

Seems to me that a lot of the critics are people who enjoy single player games more than they do multiplayer. Personally I gave up on multiplayer on computer games myself because of the whiney obnoxious 12 year old factor, or the pathetic internet hardmen posturing from the safety of his parents basement. I don't need mindless racist and childish abuse souring my free time, so i don't play multiplayer.

Also the multiplayer campaign has been prioritised over the singleplayer campaign, and if you don't play multiplayer (like ZP and others) you are getting a raw deal, back in the day multiplayer was the add on extra element to the game, now its the other way around.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
weker said:
Overrated by the simple minded.
Badly designed gameplay using gimmicks.
Short campaign.
All its issue have become the norm.
Its fanbase have festered and plagued other games.
It introduce the most minor of minor changes each game.
People get too addicted to it.
Too many children play it and it does effect them (other games to but to a much lesser extent)
Modern warfare 2 used unnecessary controversy to sell.
It funds Activision.
It funds the parasite called Treyarch.
People play it so much that they don't play other games.
Uses highly addictive game mechanics to encourage addiction rather then fun.
you forgot to say that 90% of COD players Didn't have gone through puberty(not aged 13)

and that every COD player "knows all about weapons",every time I play Black ops on multiplayer I see that it requires no skill,90% of the time I'm killed by a camper who is sitting in the corner with silenced famas,Warlord pro,Ninja pro,Ghost pro.

Oh and the balancing sucks,In black ops almost everyone is using an Famas or AK-47 or AK-47U

And I Agree with everyword,although I did like the camping of MW2 and only reason that I have black ops is because of zomies.

I really hope that some other company(not ea or activision) will drain both COD franchises and the battlefield franchies and throw them off a cliff,because EA is starting with it's bullshit again and activision is GREEDY! sorry for the off topicness.

Unfortanly most people don't understand that everytime someone is buying MW3 they're encourging activision to keep the franchies this way.

Captcha:Be careful hm,what could that mean?

weker

May 27, 2009
yuval152 said:
weker said:
Overrated by the simple minded.
Badly designed gameplay using gimmicks.
Short campaign.
All its issue have become the norm.
Its fanbase have festered and plagued other games.
It introduce the most minor of minor changes each game.
People get too addicted to it.
Too many children play it and it does effect them (other games to but to a much lesser extent)
Modern warfare 2 used unnecessary controversy to sell.
It funds Activision.
It funds the parasite called Treyarch.
People play it so much that they don't play other games.
Uses highly addictive game mechanics to encourage addiction rather then fun.
you forgot to say that 90% of COD players Didn't have gone through puberty(not aged 13)

and that every COD player "knows all about weapons",every time I play Black ops on multiplayer I see that it requires no skill,90% of the time I'm killed by a camper who is sitting in the corner with silenced famas,Warlord pro,Ninja pro,Ghost pro.

Oh and the balancing sucks,In black ops almost everyone is using an Famas or AK-47 or AK-47U
Oh and dont forget its created people who think call of duty is realistic.

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
You know I hadn't played a COD game until recently, I actually play it more than Halo and Battlefield now. I use to think that maybe COD wasn't really my kinda game, but I find most of them really really fun. So no, I don't think so, but the people that play it...those are people who make the game sound fucking horrific, people who haven't played it as well, they make the game sound worse than what it actually is.

Juk3n

Aug 14, 2010
I get CoD at midnight every year. Infinity wards ones are better personally , i like the modern era, i feel i can relate to it more. I go straight home and obliterate the single player by 6am. It's ALWAYS fun for me, i statrted with CoD when CoD4 was released, WW2 shooters just didnt do it for me. I take a week off work so i can sit in my stink and play MP for 18 hours a day. CoD4 held me for 20 days total play time, before i had to go explore other gaming options. Black Ops held me for 10 days total game time before the framerate/shit lobby/party system/shit/shit/shit PS3 port forced me back to MW2...WHICH HAS HAD ME FOR 40 DAYS TOTAL playtime and will be rising till the eve of MW3.

I don't think CoD deserves the hate it gets. I don't like brocolli so you know what i do? I stay away from it, i don't go on a vegeterian forum and rant about how much the taste makes me wanna barf to people that quite like the taste of the disgusting veggie bastard.

Fun is fun where you have it. I can tell im going to play MW3 more than any previous CoD because;

-It looks 'slightly' upgraded graphically from the best looking CoD so far (mw2) and i welcome the slight update.
- Sound has been upgraded from the best CoD so far (mw2) and i welcome the update.
- More details added to ..well..everything.
- Favourite guns make a return - the MP5( COD 4) And my beloved G36C, aswell as my ACR.
- I can trust IW to port to the PS3 properly.
- IW havnt let me down yet. They have a solid reputation with me and my friends, and i will continue to support them until the day they stop bringing me the fun. Treyarch did this with Black Ops, i only played the single player with W@W and frankly it was inferior in every way to CoD4, save the sniper mission with Reznov, and THAT was still inferior to the greatest sniper mission of all time in any shooter that will ever be made.

'All Ghillied Up'.

So no, i don't think it deserves all the hate. As far as im concerned..It's still the benchmark for competitive MP shooting games.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Since the second game and the introduction of Treyarch the quality has gone downhill mainly due to the following reasons:
1. The games stopped developing with cod 2 and every single one since then is a copy of cod 2
2. Treyarch make mods not new games.
3. Unbalanced killstreaks/ perk combinations
4. In ever game since cod 4 there have been 1 or 2 weapons that make every other gun in the game pointless.
5. Treyarch make maps that are dark and pretty colourless meaning that camping is too common.
6. .Rushed games.

eternal-chaplain

Mar 17, 2010
It is hard to say when you refer to the franchise as a whole. It has been around long enough for one to be able to see the evolution of shooters within it. That is to say the older games were actually pretty good; they were what established the franchise after all. World at War was essentially the last CoD game in the historic era. Up until this point the games focused on World War soldiers and heroic stories: the essence of man kind's Call of Duty after which the series was named. After that (and there were small titles like "World at War: Final Fronts" on the PS2) there is an obvious change in gears to Modern Warfare. That is not to say it was bad, I liked it, but you can tell that this arose in response to the more large scale futuristic productions like the Halo franchise (Halo 3's production began in 2004 and CoD4's began in 2005; CoD4 was released just months before Halo 3 in 2007). This was a great economic move by the franchise as it sold well and mods are being made still today (like the Star Wars mod). Of course that is what implanted the idea of instant big money for little effort (not that CoD4 was a low effort project, but the idea was still created) and they followed up on that idea with "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" and "Call of Duty: Black Ops" both of which were God Awful wastes of $120 for anyone who bought both games when they were released (and who isn't that?). I think it deserves respect for what it did in the past, but that does not give it a Get Out of Jail Free Card to escape what they have screwed up now.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
ShadowRatchet92 said:
I never was interested in the Call of Duty games till a few weeks ago. I tried my Brothers copy of Modern Warfare 2, and I fell in love with it. It's single player maybe short, but it's much better than Bad Company 2 was, and had a lot of great set pieces. I then tried Black Ops, good not great, and the original, still great. I start looking at some review online from IGN, Gamespot, Gametrailers, est., and I constantly see a lot of hate on this series. I never get a good, logical reason outside of either A "dur, its stopidz", B "Itz overated,", or C "Military Realism can't be a form of escapism because it in real life. Super Mario Brothers and stuff like that is." They're pretty stupid and idiotic reasons if you ask me. What do you all think?
I'm just curious as to what it was about Bad Company 2 that made you switch to Modern Warfare. Most people switch to Battlefield from Call of Duty for the reasons other have stated in this thread. Not the other way around.

I don't know if it deserves the hate it gets. But I don't think it really deserves all the success it's gotten. It's just pretty a much a by the books shooter. There wasn't really too much that was added between Modern Warfare 1 and 2. Same thing with Black Ops yet it still broke sales records even though there was little in the ways of innovation. Plus they took away the dedicated servers. That was just a dick move.

Also Activision definitely deserved all the criticism it got for it's business practices at that time.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
It's a decent game, not the most innovative but incredibly well polished. Not my favourite game, but still not nearly deserving of the amount of hate it gets.

danqaz said:
Really? Can we swap places? All I have is a handful of friends that also like it, and we can't ever mention this in public incase we get sacrificed to Gabe Newell for our heathenism.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
No but I need to hate soemthing!

CoD just happens to have a lot of things I hate!