Poll: Security Guards V.S. 12-year old punk

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
Ok, the sounds bad and my swedish aint perfect so I can't pick up on all of the things said.
From the video let me try and present a possible chain of events...

Kid commits offence that guard deems unacceptable. Detains kid and for some reason feels the need to apply the cuffs. I can only guess it was cos the kid was resisting.

As it is a kid we are talking about the guard decides to wait for assistance so things don't get misinterpreted. The child is shouting at the guard and saying "Let me go, you're breaking my arm" he also says "Fuck you".

The kids friends start shouting at the guards whilst the kid resists (Here it is clear). As the guard is obviously much larger the guard stands his ground. Meanwhile his partner is holding the rest of the kids out of the situation so that nothing else occurs. It is clear that one individual (what appears to be an older kid) is nose to nose with the other guard.

The kid struggles more and starts kicking the guard, the guard responds my moving the kid in to a position where he can't kick. Namely by throwing him to the ground. The guard then pins the kid so that he cannot move.
The kids friends start moving closer. They are off camera but it is obviously a situation neither guard likes. They pull their sticks and the kids scatter. The sticks remain out until more guards arrive.

Passers by arrive and question what the kid has done. I can't hear the proper response but I heard the word "offentlig" which is the word for public but it could be smoking publicly, pissing publicly of defacing public property. More than the one word I couldn't hear.

More guards arrive and the kid is dragged off as he is still resisting. It is also shown that the older kid is sitting subdued with another guard.

My judgement... The guards reacted as they would with any other rowdy individual however as it is a 12 year old it appeared heavy handed but it is clear that that is what the kids were going for. The guards were in a difficult situation and did the best they could.

Schoengeist

Sep 23, 2009
So no one knows how the situation started and what the kid had done to get handcuffed? Haven't your parents taught you not to jump to blind conclusions?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
I was going to reply and start doing the whole "back and forth" thing like I usually do when I want to start a discussion but then I realized I'd just be wasting my time since you people obviously don't want to hear what I have to say, you only want to hear what you have to say. So, in the interest of "common sense" and security guards defending themselves from drug addicted, knife wielding, twelve year old criminals, I bid you farewell.
So using terms like "unfair parent" as well as saying that we lack common sense and whatnot is considered discussion?

To be honest I would like to hear what you have to say, hence my asking you a legitimate question earlier on in this thread which you have yet to(and I guess won't now)reply to. But if you just wanna hide behind some smug pretentiousness rather than admit that you can't find any reasoning behind your view other than "He's twelve", then go ahead.

Sep 14, 2009
Thistlehart said:
AndyFromMonday said:
If you actually believe violence is the proper tool for instilling certain values in children then congratulations, you're going to be an unfit parent.
Of course, you're right. How dare people try to show children what consequences are. We should just send them to their room and take away their Xbox, computer, smart phone, books, toys, etc. ad nauseam so they can lay on the bed and stew about how stupid and unfair we are. That'll drive the lesson home so much better than a little pain and public humiliation.

exactly.

i remember to this day the exact moment i got publicly humiliated for the first time, and you bet your ass it sent a lightning bolt to my brain stem to not ever act like a entitled piece a shit in public like that again.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Zulnam said:
And even if he did go into the guard's face and said "FUCK YOU" he should be trained not to respond to a minor's taunting unless the minor becomes directly violent? What did the kid do? Kick him? SERIOUSLY?! He barely pushed him with his leg. That's like saying you have the right to invade an entire country because some asshole might at some point threaten your country at some point with shit he doesn't even have now.
The original circumstances notwithstanding (though apparently the dipshits were fucking around somewhere they shouldn't be and got belligerent when asked to leave), it's a perfectly reasonable response to move a detainee like that when they kick at you. If the kid was kicking at him, it's more than sensible to lay the kid down and detain him in such a way he can't kick.

To me, though, it looked like the kid was trying to use the guard's leg as a way to lift himself up and lessen the strain on his shoulder. In that case, it's not unreasonable to then move the kid in such a way that he's still detained, without that particular discomfort.

Either way, within the bounds of the information in the video, the guard acted appropriately.

Whether or not the kid should have been detained in the first place is a different question. If Shycte is correct, then the guard was completely in the right to detain the kid. There's no way to tell though, as we simply lack the proper sources.

2733 said:
so a 7 foot monster of a security guard beat a twelve year old who was pissing him off, he needs to lose his job. I don't know what the kid was doing before the video starts, but this is not how you handle it. The whipping out of the baton (I assume to force back onlookers) was just icing on the power trip cake.
There was no beating involved. He held the kid against the wall with the kid's arm behind his back cranked up above his shoulder. Then when the kid tried to get out of the hold, he shifted the kid to the ground and held him there.

At no point did he actually hit the idiot, and the baton only came out to get the kid's friends back. If you'll notice, he never actually used it for anything other than an additional contact point with the ground, so that less weight was on the kid.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
All I can say is lesson learned, you see kids security personnel are not very smart or mentally stable, you do not mess with them, pull that in a night club and you will find yourself bleeding out in a gutter.

Clearly the kid was detained for something and he didn't quite grasp the "you stay here" part, he fought them and they fought back... bigger guys usually win.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Schoengeist said:
So no one knows how the situation started and what the kid had done to get handcuffed? Haven't your parents taught you not to jump to blind conclusions?
It's been stated a few times now what the situation was and what the kid done to get cuffed. Please read all the posts before jumping to blind conclusions.

Alaster Angelo

Jul 12, 2010
Good for the security guard. I dislike that people don't want kids to face the consequences of their actions just because they're kids. Kids need to learn, and sometimes they need to learn the hard way, coddling them all the time will just make them grow up irresponsible and disrespectful.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
What did the security guard do? Are they calling sexual harrasment for having his knee of the kid's arse...No? Ok yeah he did nothing wrong the security guard had every right to do what he did to keep the kid from lashing out.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
I'm a bit shocked that people are for corporal beatings. A good parent never needs to beat their child.

Anyway, I'm off to bed, I'll look at this thread in the morning.

MrMorphine

Aug 18, 2011
Respectively,the fact that most of you instantly react ''teach that kid a lesson! yeah!'' proves an ignorance on your part.

You simply see the child as a good for nothing punk, not examining things like socio-economic bacground etc. Often children are driven to this kind of behaviour by a poor home life or poverty,simply lacking better things to do or a way to properly express agression.

it is both ignorant and even downright mean for you to jump to the conclusion that the kid's just a punk.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Shycte said:
I'm a bit shocked that people are for corporal beatings. A good parent never needs to beat their child.

Anyway, I'm off to bed, I'll look at this thread in the morning.
Sometimes it's necessary to hit your kid. I'm not saying whip off your belt and start hitting them with it or whatever, but kids, especially adolescent/teenage boys, tend to get belligerent and arrogant about things. Sometimes you just have to cuff 'em upside the head to get them to pay attention properly. It's not something that should be done even remotely close to often, and it's really not something that should leave any sort of damage, but a solid hit does a hell of a lot more to focus some kids than any amount of angry words.

I'm not a parent myself, but I grew up down the street from a preschool and worked there as an afterschool job for a while. I learned a hell of a lot about dealing with kids, and that's one of them.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
I was going to reply and start doing the whole "back and forth" thing like I usually do when I want to start a discussion but then I realized I'd just be wasting my time since you people obviously don't want to hear what I have to say, you only want to hear what you have to say. So, in the interest of "common sense" and security guards defending themselves from drug addicted, knife wielding, twelve year old criminals, I bid you farewell.
Now, just be careful that it doesn't go both ways.

You know, like how it was when you kept repeating "He's twelve" over and over as if it meant something.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
For those that don't speak Swedish, the kid and his friends are continously repeating things like:
(note:swearwords and death threats)
"Whore"
"I am going to fucking murder you, you fucking whore"
Also the kid's friends keep saying that he isn't fifteen ( I think that has something to do with swedish law?), but the cop says "So just because you are 12, you can do whatever you want?"

I think the guard is in the right. No one should be allowed to harass guards like this, they were tolerant enough and acted like professionals. The other kids were told to back off, and I don't see any police brutality here.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
MrMorphine said:
Respectively,the fact that most of you instantly react ''teach that kid a lesson! yeah!'' proves an ignorance on your part.

You simply see the child as a good for nothing punk, not examining things like socio-economic bacground etc. Often children are driven to this kind of behaviour by a poor home life or poverty,simply lacking better things to do or a way to properly express agression.

it is both ignorant and even downright mean for you to jump to the conclusion that the kid's just a punk.
If it looks like a punk, talks like a punk, and acts like a punk, it's a punk.

The kids circumstances do not excuse his behavior. Everyone has a reason for acting out, being angry or breaking laws. That does not change the fact that they chose to do so. This kid's circumstances have absolutely nothing to do with this situation.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Here is a source in English
http://www.thelocal.se/36574/20111006/

"The incident took place last summer at the Slussen metro station after guards were called to deal with youngsters who were reportedly riding between the rail cars of the Saltsjöbanan tram line.

When the guards met up with the 12-year-old and his friends, the situation quickly turned heated.

?I climbed between the cars, and then went in again. Then they came up and said, 'follow us, don't resist',? the boy told Sveriges Television (SVT).

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Last time I checked Security Guards are figures of authority. Now I can't understand a word being spoken, nor do I know what the kid did to get restrained in the first place, but that's irrelevant.

The kid was restrained and all he had to do was stand there. Goading and reacting to restraint physically is an invitation to be restrained further. He took the kid to the ground, flicked out his baton and that was that. The only violent act came from the kids around them and the kid who was restrained.

MrMorphine

Aug 18, 2011
Agayek said:
MrMorphine said:

If it looks like a punk, talks like a punk, and acts like a punk, it's a punk.

The kid's circumstances do not excuse his behavior. Everyone has a reason for acting out, being angry or breaking laws. That does not change the fact that they chose to do so. This kid's circumstances have absolutely nothing to do with this situation.
His circumstances have everything to do with the situation!

One can use buzzwords and slurs like ''punk'' all one wants but that doesn't obscure the fact that no one is simply born a ''punk'' but they have a variety of factors contributing to appearing as one.

It is easy to say ''Yeah,he's just a punk, let him have it!''. It is easy to file away all the ''riff-raff'' and elements of society we don't like with one neat slur.

It is hard to investigate the child's circumstances and help him to work out his feelings in a positive way. It is hard to actually think for a second and give the kid a damn chance! Be compassionate,be a human being and help the kid become a productive member of society,don't just moan and beat him. Guide with the hand, do not strike with it

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Of course he did the right thing.

There was no violence, he restrained the kid with minimum force.