Poll: Seinfeld Vs. Friends

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Seinfeld was consistently good while Friend had more highs and lows. However, Friends ended much better and the high moments exceeded the better moments of Seinfeld... so Friends, but just barely.

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
I'm embarrassed that this is a contest. Seinfeld is a post-modern show with existential and nihilistic overtones that completely changed the way sit-coms operate. It took the nuclear family out of the picture (it used to be mandatory e.g. I Love Lucy) made the show about friends (allowing shows like Friends to exist), centered the show around generally 'bad' people who never learned anything and never grew as people (influencing shows like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia)

Friends is just some popcorny tv show about a bunch of attractive people who were constantly involved in soap opera style drama with each other. It takes the formula of Sienfeld, takes out the nihilism and the 'jewishness' to make a more marketable product. It stinks and I don't like it. : c

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
I watched some episodes of both while a kid but I only got to watch everything like 6-7 years later (after finales). Both series suffer from this trope : http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny but Friends holds up better.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Zekksta said:
Also, are you calling your friends idiots because they prefer Friends? If you are, I think calling someone an idiot over a personal preference and opinion of a television show is far more idiotic.
This right here.

You know, I see plenty of people who believe that preferring Seinfeld to Friends makes you a superior person, but I never see it go the other direction. It's kind of off-putting.

To answer the question: I watched both shows occasionally when they were on, and Friends made me laugh more often. However, I was a kid at the time so I didn't really get the jokes in Seinfeld, but I definitely got Joey and Phoebe. Now that I'm an adult, though, both shows seem extremely dated, and the humor has been reused so many times that they aren't funny anymore. So I don't really think I can comment.

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
they were both pretty bad shows that lasted much longer than either deserved. they mightve had some good material time to time, but that doesnt excuse the massive amount of crap they had on a continuous basis.

Bluelaughter

Dec 7, 2010
I found the characters in Friends to be over privileged whining brats. Although both shows often showed conflict over petty things, Seinfeld admitted to itself that the characters weren't perfect and that they were at times horrible people, using it as humour.

standokan

May 28, 2009
Seinfield is the obviously better one, but I guess it´s all opions and it depends on what kind of humor is better for you.

Also I´ve seen pretty much every season of Seinfield and maybe 7 episodes of Friends.

Pb Zeppelin

Aug 5, 2010
I have always found Friends to be PAINFULLY unfunny. Seinfield, on the other hand, I can't get enough of. I've completely lost it watching that show before.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
enzilewulf said:
Friends. I love those characters wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than sienfeld.
Yeah, Seinifeld is funny, but the characters drive me crazy. Especially George.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Seinfeld is the clear winner.
Friends was the most overrated show I have ever seen. It was just a bunch of pretty boys and models doing stupid crap. At least Seinfeld could be relatable to me at times.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I never saw much of Friends, but whenever I did catch it it just seemed like every other sitcom of that era. Seinfeld always seemed to push the envelope and the formula a bit more.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
They are hard to compare, very diffetent styles of humour even thought they are both sitcoms.

Suppose I'll go with friends as I've watched far more of it and the theme music is one of the most iconic openings of the 90s.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
I liked Friends better. It was more charming and funny than Seinfeld, and I could actually stand most of the cast of characters.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I can't make my mind. Seinfield was smarter but friends had better dramma. As already mentioned calling your friends idiots for deissagreing with you is far more idiotic (except for those that haven't seen seinfield)

Another questions:

Cheers or Taxi?
Who's the boss? or Step by step?
Clarissa explains it all or Small Wonder?
News radio or Just shoot me?

My head is going to explode with al the sitcomes that are coming to my mind.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
I never liked Seinfeld the show, though Seinfeld the stand up hasd some good jokes. I liked Friends when I grew up, but now... eh. But atleast it had likeable characters, and I need that in order to enjoy a show. Seinfeld is just painful to me.