Poll: Should Sonic go back to 2d?

BUG.exe

Mar 11, 2009
Game after game Sonic Team has made a 3d sonic game and with utter disaster to the point you question if they try anymore, but some of the sonic team games weren't bad like sonic rush and sonic advanced. 3d sonic games aren't impossible to be made good, but they just...haven't been good. so does this mean it's time for sonic to just go back to 2d games? maybe even on consoles, but with gorgeous environments and graphics.

BUG.exe

Mar 11, 2009
i say drop the stupid stories and go back to Robotnick (yes Robotnick not eggman) is turning animals into robots so lets go destroy him. and try to make the levels more....linear without all the stupid turns since the slide turning in sonic unleashed worked so well *cough*cough*.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
Yeah, but he won't. You need to give it up. Everyone does. Sonic is dead. Someone moron has skinned his corpse, and has proceeded to act out a series of humiliations in order to tarnish his name. Stop buying into it. All his good games(The ones for the genesis) are already out. We dont need anymore.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Just give me Sconic: Chao Ranchers on the DS for a reasonable price. Those things are so damn cute.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Thunderhorse said:
Yeah, but he won't. You need to give it up. Everyone does. Sonic is dead. Someone moron has skinned his corpse, and has proceeded to act out a series of humiliations in order to tarnish his name. Stop buying into it. All his good games(The ones for the genesis) are already out. We dont need anymore.
Are you implying that there are no other good Sonic games?

BUG.exe

Mar 11, 2009
i sure can't think of any in recent memory. sonic and the secret rings was almost there, but the jump button worked half the time and sonic would never slow the f*** down or stop. not to mention the voice acting was awful. besides that game there was.....sonic adventure 2....and yeah that's about it and that was a looooooooooooong time ago.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
I liked Sonic Adventure 2 Battle personally. I would not mind a 3rd one, and raisng the Chao was definatly fun. They could always go for the 2D plane in 3D graphics though, I would not mind. I just do not want the long loading time in SONIC THE HEDGEHOG.

Plauged1

Mar 6, 2009
Give the 2d another chance, or at least stop throwing in pointless characters. It will make the storyline of the 3d games more enjoyable and less of a chore.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Dear god yes. GIVE US A PRETTIER RUNNY SONIC GAME!
With black jack, and hookers.
In fact forget the game...
And the blackjack...

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
joystickjunki3 said:
Thunderhorse said:
Are you implying that there are no other good Sonic games?
Post Sonic and Knuckles? Absolutely.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
It should never have left 2D. Once it started relying on Nintendo to keep it from bankruptcy, it should have become a handheld exclusive.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
its the 2D that most people seem to love anyway.
It should go back to that. I mean unleashed was fun without the werewolf gimmick, or is it hogwolf?

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
Honestly, it should never have left 2d. But now it's just getting boring. My honest opinion is that Sonic should go back to not making games anymore ..

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
No.
Sonic just needs to drop all the stupid characters *INCLUDING TALES*.
I don't care if he was okay back in the old games, they need to removes all the characters and have it to be ONLY, and I say ONLY about Sonic.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I think the Sonic Rush series has pretty much proven that 2D (or better yet, 2.5D) is definitely the way to go.

Methinks Sonic is destined to become a DS exclusive franchise. Which is good.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Despite the dire cameras, it's not really the 2D/3D thing that has doomed Sonic.

The problem is that he doesn't move right. Controlling Sonic is an exercise in frustration and annoyance, because he moves and accelerates so fast that you get little to no precision in control. It's almost impossible to make sure that he lands in a particular spot, and when things are at their worst, he'll land running at full speed no matter how fast you were running when you jumped (Sonic 2006 is fond of this), meaning that you go flying off the platform you just jumped to. It's also hard to line up for a jump, because even slight inputs produce large effects.

Precise control of the character is the core of a platforming game. Sonic games don't have it any more, and just returning them to a 2D plane does not resolve that issue, as Sonic Unleashed is quick to show, the actual Sonic levels are still shitty because of your shitty control of the character. (and their unimaginative linear level design, but that's another problem)

Overlord_Dave

Mar 2, 2009
Even though I voted yes, I found the first sonic game on the Gamecube really very good (i forget the title - if anybody knows let me know. It might have come out on the dreamcast as well...). It was full 3D, but just stuck to the basics of driving sonic around linear and fast-paced levels, with loads of grinding and loops and generally fun stuff. Plus, the boss at the end of each level involved simply running away from something fast that was chasing you. No gimmicks, very little combat, but good gameplay.

If they remade it i'm sure it would be amazing.

Again, if anybody knows the title I would love to try and find a copy :)

gjkdioepppp

Dec 7, 2008
sonic adventure was a fantastic game.
sonic just need to drop these crappycharacters and gimmicks.