Poll: Should Sonic go back to 2d?

Hexadecimal16

Mar 11, 2009
Thunderhorse said:
Yeah, but he won't. You need to give it up. Everyone does. Sonic is dead. Someone moron has skinned his corpse, and has proceeded to act out a series of humiliations in order to tarnish his name. Stop buying into it. All his good games(The ones for the genesis) are already out. We dont need anymore.
Thank you.

I love Sonic. I really do. My love for that goddamn blue hedgehog and his little multi-tailed sidekick is endless. But Sonic is dead, and as far as I'm concerned he has been dead for a long time. It is literally painful to watch my sister play the stupid new Sonic games with his emo cousin Shadow and stupid extraneous characters and any villains other than Robotnik. It goes against everything that I loved about the games.

Let the poor guy rest in peace.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
BUG.exe said:
i say drop the stupid stories and go back to Robotnick (yes Robotnick not eggman) is turning animals into robots so lets go destroy him. and try to make the levels more....linear without all the stupid turns since the slide turning in sonic unleashed worked so well *cough*cough*.
I say the same thing
but I thought sonic adventure 2 battle was pretty good
I liked playing as knuckles and rogue and the chao mini games were cool, especially when you had a friend with the advance link up cable so you could trade them
...I still need to beat it

onioftheash

Mar 7, 2009
sonic the hedgehog has been around a long time and back in his hay day he was rival in popularity only to mario but now hes addicted to drugs such as fame and stardom, he is so addicted he is selling his soul just to be in a game it doesnt matter if it sucks, we need to send him to rehab and hope he comes out all better.....and if not we can always shoot him

Glaceis

Mar 4, 2009
onioftheash said:
sonic the hedgehog has been around a long time and back in his hay day he was rival in popularity only to mario but now hes addicted to drugs such as fame and stardom, he is so addicted he is selling his soul just to be in a game it doesnt matter if it sucks, we need to send him to rehab and hope he comes out all better.....and if not we can always shoot him
Well put. Completely true. I just don't wanna pull an "old yeller" on him if ya know what I mean.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Fixing Sonic is easy. Fire Sonic Team, and have Dimps work on all the games.

Make the games short, cheap, and downloadable so that they don't have to pad the game length with gimmicks like lycanthropy or some bullshit, ruining an otherwise great game.

quack35

Sep 1, 2008
The Day levels in Sonic Unleashed (at least, the Wii version) were fun. Really fun.

So take Sonic Unleashed, remove the werehog, tighten the controls, make the levels branch out a little and boom, you've got a good game.

Edit: Also, get rid of that fucking Shadow guy. He was wangsty and annoying.

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
There is a lot of potential in a 3D Sonic game that has yet to go untapped. Just give it to a good developer already.

Sirtwitchy

Mar 16, 2009
Yes, not 2D like it used to be but like 3Dish but still old style side-scroller...and one that doesn't suck!

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
CyberAkuma said:
No.
Sonic just needs to drop all the stupid characters *INCLUDING TALES*.
I don't care if he was okay back in the old games, they need to removes all the characters and have it to be ONLY, and I say ONLY about Sonic.
Tales was awesome. The choice between flight and speed was a tough one each time I started the game.

KimMR251

Jun 15, 2008
Sonic was good back in the days I was in middle school. Those days are waaaaay past gone.

I won't lie though -- I miss Sonic 2.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Yes just watch the Zp review of unleashed that about summs my opinion up.
You do realize that most of the actual reviews are bullshit, right?

I mean, Yahtzee's funny and all, but he's a terrible reviewer, and usually doesn't know what he's talking about.

He liked the night levels BETTER than the others. That's how messed up his reviews are.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
YES, YES, A MILLION YESES. Sonic Rush Avdventure is amazing, and that sort of game should be the games sonic does full time.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Yes, he should. 3D is a drug that sonic has been abusing for the past several games and...oh what the hell, I'll just say it, Yahtzee pretty much hit the nail on the head with his review of Sonic Unleashed. If people want to try and save him and not put both barrels through the back of his head they have to go back to 2D.

xpacerx

Feb 25, 2009
http://lifehacker.com/5152884/absolutely-amazing-video-game-remake-wallpapers
that is what sonic 2d would look like with today's graphics.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
They should just do a new, 2d sonic game on XBLA, and call it "Sonic Classic"
or something.

But I don't think the "leperous retards" of Sonic Team can grasp that.

xpacerx

Feb 25, 2009
Pyromaniac1337 said:
xpacerx said:
http://lifehacker.com/5152884/absolutely-amazing-video-game-remake-wallpapers
that is what sonic 2d would look like with today's graphics.
Here's the thing, though: Nobody but the morons who have no idea what they're talking about WANT that. The fact of the matter is that 2D is DEAD AND GONE on consoles, and is slowly dieing out on the handhelds. If ANY series is to survive, it MUST make the transition to 3D. Mistakes are inevitable, and it's whether or not the developers learn from those mistakes that will decide. If people actually opened their damn eyes and played the games, they would see that Sonic Team HAS learned, and is STILL learning. True, some games were crap (Sonic '06), but usually the ideas and gameplay is good. Even Shadow running around spraying lead makes sense in-universe: He has amnesia and CAN'T REMEMBER THE EXTENT OF HIS POWER. If you were someone looking for answers in a world that is going through its most devastating war ever, and you were caught in the crossfire, would you not pick up a gun and fight?

Again, 2D is dead on consoles, plain and simple, and anyone that things handheld-exclusive would allow a series to live on (and in 2D) is blind to the fact that 2D is dieing on handhelds, and that handheld games do not generate enough revenue to keep a company alive.
well in the literal sense I can see why your confused, you right 2d is dead. I think what everyone one here is thinking is to bring back the side scrolling platformer sonic that we all knew and loved. Of course it would need to be 3d, take a look at LittleBigPlanet the side scrolling platformer can work and is not dead.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
They need to take the Sonic Unleashed sonic levels and make a whole game that's just that.

They'd need to lower the draw distances on some of the panoramas, or lower the resolution of the background a bit, because some of those backgrounds in SU were insanely awesome, moreso then they needed to be.

The trick would be making the game long enough not to piss people off.. Make them long enough and varied enough..

All of the gimmicks of the past 10 years have been almost entirely designed around artificially lengthening gameplay in ways it was never meant to be lengthened.. sort of like making your pants bigger by making the legs wider.