Poll: Skyrim - Annoyed by encumbrance?

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Not really annoying. It adds an extra dose of realism in that I can't carry around seven different suits of armor without feeling the difference. I am rather curious what weight units they use in Tamriel, though, seeing as a dagger weighs ten of them.

The only time it's caused a problem is when I had to choose between the Axe of Whiterun and some reeeallly valuable enchanted Dwarven armor, that I couldn't actually use being a light armor guy. I went with the armor anyway, though, as selling it allowed me the funds to buy a house and actually store all my extra crap.

tjcross

Apr 14, 2008
Best of the 3 said:
Not a problem for me. I just chose what to carry. I take good swords over armor as they have a lower weight but still give a hefty amount of gold. Same foes for helmets. Taking whole pieces of armor to carry is ok, but weights too much. A good example of this is when you are facing a bunch of guys (you know if you have) and they keep dropping silver swords. They weigh 10 and have a value of 100. Iron Helmets have a value of about 60, and weight about 5.

It's all about what you chose to carry. To shed more weight I always make a bunch of random potions to find out what ingreadients might do. I then sell the potions for more money. Chucking it on a companion is always an option. Very easy to do too as they'll follow you around.

If you're still struggling, try investing skill points into Heavy / light armor (which every you use) to lower the weight.
i only take daggers now since i can enchant them with damage stamina with a petty soul and increase their value by 500 (using iron daggers as a base) keeps my encumbrance nice and low

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Stupid...bloody..heavy...potions. And vendors have bugger all cash at hand. Oh well. Mods mods and more mods. When they exist.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I'm more annoyed by the fact that the shops never have enough money to buy all my stuff. I'm stuck with 25000 gold pieces and I can't find a way to get myself yet more money. It's ridiculous, really.

Eaglesolidus said:
i dont know a good place to sell my fucking dragon bones and scales
Alchemy shops take them. There's one in Whiterun that usually has about 900 gold.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
babinro said:
Personally I find it a chore to have to inventory manage. Since there is no time pressure placed on the player, I see no tactical advantage as to why these encumbrance systems are so unforgiving to begin with.

Are you annoyed by encumbrance in Bethesda games or embrace it's realism?
Do you feel they add to the gaming experience in a meaningful way?
Do you cheat so you have more time to play the actual game?
"Unforgiving," riiiiight. Because in real life I can totally carry a medium sized armory in my pockets. That has to be one of the most simple things to complain about in the game. If you're overencumbered, drop some shit, sell some shit, or even easier, go stuff some heavier stuff you don't use in a box or load it onto your ally pack mule.
I usually only keep a hold of the things I know I will use or the things that sell for the largest amount of gold.

When I began the game I was actually shocked at how much higher my overencumberance limit seemed to be. I had a proverbial shitload of swords, armor and anything else I could carry before finally picking up a dagger and having to go sell some stuff. 300 is an amazing limit to begin with. Sure, I suppose for those people who use Heavy Armor early on it could be a real issue, but I've been using a triple combo of One-Handed, Destruction and Conjuration, so I never found myself in much if any spots bad enough where I said, "Damn, sure wish I had a block of steel around my torso."

The only complaint I truly have I see is agreed on by quite a few other people, and that's the factb that Vendors run out of money too quickly. I can't get more cash quickly if I can't sell all of the crap I'm carrying.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
mornal said:
Just know your weight-cost ratios. Don't pick up anything that doesn't sell for at least 4 times as much as it weighs.
This.

Tho I set my w/c ratio at X10. Obviously it goes up as your wealth does.

Also, my housecarl carries most of my useless crap. She is sworn to carry my burdens.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
The problem i have with encumbrance in skyrim and had a similar problem in oblivion.Is that all the traders at the start give you next to nothing compare to the actually value.Also maybe it just me but i am an old school RPG player and after a few chests of equiment disappearing a few years ago i dont trust putting my stuff in chests.

So i am walking around with armour and weapons plus all the cool items while carrying half a shops worth of stuff.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
I have a house to store things I want to keep (I refuse to believe that dragon scales won't be used as an armour material eventually) and a packmule companion to carry stuff for me while I'm dungeon diving. She's also pretty good in a fight, can take a good few blasts from a dragons breath.

On that note, saw a dragon get its ass kicked by a giant, jumped in after the giant left to take the soul :p

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
Just enchant your armor and a couple rings with strength, and you won't have this issue.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I don't cheat in any game ever, not even GTA/Saints Row, and I don't see it happening in Skyrim. Just drop your junk somewhere and pick it back up when you want to sell it.

Edit: It's not a morel thing, cheating just sucks the fun out of a game. I think the only game I cheated in is Final Fantasy Tactics after I beat it for the 500th time and I changed Ramza to Cloud, which wound up bugging the game to an nu-finishable status so that was fun right?

svenjl

Mar 16, 2011
I'm the biggest merchant in my Skyrim. I sell all the weapons, apparel and bits and bobs that I don't need/like ASAP. Only got a few extra potions and miscellaneous weapons stored at The Companions headquarters. Don't need to carry 15 minor potions of healing. I do find it hard to save money though. I keep buying spell books and getting training.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
TheSaw said:
Dragon bones are used to make Dragonbone armour (heavy armour, for warriors really)
Dragon scales are used to make Dragonscale armour (Light armour)
I'm still trying to find the guy who makes it for you, but they're the best armour in game I've heard, unless you're a mage then I think the arch-mage robe is the best.

And thanks, she's the best. xD
Dragon Armor is at the top of the smithing perk tree. By the time you get there, you'll probably have access to Daedric armor which has a higher armor rating. Dragon armor is lighter though, so there's that.

Jinjiro

Fresh Prince of Darkness
Apr 20, 2008
TheSaw said:
Dragon bones are used to make Dragonbone armour (heavy armour, for warriors really)
Dragon scales are used to make Dragonscale armour (Light armour)
I'm still trying to find the guy who makes it for you, but they're the best armour in game I've heard, unless you're a mage then I think the arch-mage robe is the best.

And thanks, she's the best. xD
If you're willing to spend the perk-points, you can make them yourself, it's the perk you can unlock at 100 Smithing. Smithing is easy as hell to level, it's actually my highest stat right now at 71. If you get an assload of hides, make them into leather, then make some of that leather into leather strips, you can level up with Hide Bracers. Cheapest item to make afaik.

The only thing I had a problem with encumbrance-wise were the dragon bones and scales. Now I have a couple of barrels full of them in Windhelm, waiting till I hit 100 Smithing. Other than that, I only generally take expensive jewelry, potions and scrolls from dungeons. Anything that has anything up to 1 weight and sells for more than 50, basically. If I'm not using a piece of armour, I barrel it and come back for it later for disenchantment or sale.

Edit: Ninja'd

SomeLameStuff said:
Dragon Armor is at the top of the smithing perk tree. By the time you get there, you'll probably have access to Daedric armor which has a higher armor rating. Dragon armor is lighter though, so there's that.
I wonder if the dragon armor can hold more powerful enchantments or something then? Seems a bit silly otherwise.

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
I just dump everything in one of my many, many, MANY bases scattered across Skyrim after every 3-5 dungeon dives.
What he said. Though I only currently own one house in Skyrim it's a good place to store the shit I don't need.

The Abhorrent

May 7, 2011
Encumbrance in Skyrim isn't too big a deal, provided you don't try to carry around all those Dragon Bones and Dragon Scales. In other words, either sell them or get a storage spot for them ASAP. In my playtime, I've found dragons usually drop three scales & bones each (only one has dropped less), which comes to a weight of 75 per dragon. I didn't really notice how much a problem this was until I was carrying six of each (just after killing my second dragon) and I was restricted to walking painfully slow (you can't even fast-travel to a vendor to get rid of stuff, not that I was even near a vendor at that point).

What I ended up doing is buying the house in Whiterun. 5000 gold isn't too much trouble to acquire, even at low levels. Ever since getting the place, I've never had any issues with encumbrance... though I've been managing my inventory much better as well since then.

Anyhow, one tip for players using heavy armor -- get the "Conditioned" perk. A bit obvious, but having the heavy armor wearing not weighing anything is bound to free up a good amount of encumbrance for carrying stuff around.

---

On the whole, encumbrance is a minor annoyance at worst.
Clean out your inventory by selling or storing non-essential junk, and you'll almost never have an issue.

Sep 14, 2009
eh i usually don't have to cheat, but in some games it is very annoying, especially when you haven't gotten a "home" or chest to put your stuff in yet that you might use but don't want to sell.

so i will probably end up using that cheat until i get the weightless heavy armor perk thing.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
The tactical advantage is that it makes you consider using feather enchants instead of combat functional stuff. It also makes you consider what you will bring with you, and makes light armor a more viable choice. Yes it adds to the experience.
Eaglesolidus said:
i dont know a good place to sell my fucking dragon bones and scales
best I've found is just general traders, they can buy them at least.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, inventory management is a pain, but only when it's done in such a manner that is to suck your time. If you have the time and patience, you can ferry back and forth to dungeons, selling stuff of, looking for merchants after you've taken all their gold, and milk the system. But if you want to, you know, GET ON with the game, then yeah you will just have to pick a weight/price ratio for goods you want to sell, and carry only what you will *realistically* use.

I'm a big offender of the latter, I always carry alternate load-outs for that special enemy which *might* use a certain kind of element, or vulnerable to a type of sword/spell, but when the battle starts it's all "TASTE MY STEEL, CURS!" and all that so I never get around to using the buffs and forget to swap anyways. Unless I'm dealing with very high difficulty levels, and I've died several times that is.

Had the same problem with The Witcher 2, and that game (before the patch anyways) didn't even have a place to store your surplus! And you needed to carry certain amounts of rarely found components for complicated crafting formulas.