Poll: Skyrim; Empire or. Rebels?

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
trooper6 said:
Well...I don't play as myself, I play as a character...so it would depend on who my character is. One character might support the empire, while a different one might support the rebels. I really can't say yet.
This.

I've played through the game on three characters now. My Dark Brotherhood assassin didn't care, my snarky Breton sided with the Empire just enough to secure his home city, and my Imperial sided with the Empire to the end. My next character will be a Nord who fights for his homeland William Wallace style!

kickassfrog

Jan 17, 2011
Empire. Because they're an amalgam of the Romans and the British. And I see Stormcloak as George Washington.

Screw you! I will crush you rebel scum as soon as I'm done killing every giant in the world!

trouble_gum

May 8, 2011
lunncal said:
They can try to conquer Skyrim, but they would fail. As part of the White-gold Concordat the Empire actually gave large amounts of Hammerfell lands to the Dominion, and what did the Redguards of Hammerfell do? They told the Empire where they could stick their treaty, and took it all back. They beat the Ald'meri out of their home country against the wishes of The Empire (who then renounced Hammerfell as a province), and they did so very successfully. I see no reason why Skyrim couldn't do the same.

It's not Skyrim that needs the Empire to protect it, it's the Empire that needs Skyrim to protect it, but why should they? Why should the people of Skyrim lay down their lives for the Empire when the Empire didn't do the same for Skyrim, or any of its client-states?

In-game lore covering the events of the Great War indicates that at least part of the Redguard success lay in the state of Aldmeri military forces at the time - the Redguard were fighting the remnants of the Aldmer Dominion's invasion force which had been defeated at the Battle of Red Ring. To say they did so "very successfully" is somewhat contradicted by the in-lore source which indicates most of southern Hammerfell was "devastated."

And, in this, the Thalmor further drove apart the Empire and Hammerfell. If Skyrim also secedes from the Empire, you then have three seperate states where before you had a unified Empire. That unified Empire was able to fight the Aldmer Dominion to a standstill, albeit at great cost and without a truly resounding victory that would've meant a better outcome of the White-Gold Concordat. It can be inferred from in-game lore that this divided humanity is precisely what the Thalmor want; because it's easier to invade Hammerfell on its own that it proved to be to invade the Empire.

It's classic Divide and Conquer - The Empire turned out not be the easy victory the Thalmor seemed to expect. Solution: drive its constituent parts away from the whole and gobble them up piecemeal. Even easier if Skyrim has spent several years engaged in bloody civil war; weakening it and the Empire into the bargain. You can't simply assert that Skyrim can protect itself, and trying to argue that the continued well-being of the whole (i.e, the Empire) is of no protection to the parts lacks credence. The combined forces of the Imperial military, from Cyrodiil, High Rock, Hammerfell and Skyrim barely stopped the Thalmor invasion. Individually, they surely stand far less chance against a full-scale invasion force.

The assertion that the Empire didn't sacrifice lives is somewhat absurd: "Not a single legion had more than half its soldiers fit for duty. Two legions had been effectively annihilated, not counting the loss of the Eighth during the retreat from the Imperial City." Cyrodiil and the Imperial City were ravaged; the Imperial Palace sacked and burned. The Imperial Legions have been decimated. Skyrim takes place only 25 years after the end of the Great War - the Empire is probably just about back on its feet; no wonder the Thalmor are so keen on stirring up trouble between the Empire and Skyrim, hunting for people illegally worshiping Talos and generally poking their noses in everywhere.

Shaughn Caso

Mar 29, 2010
I fight for the empire because they actually support strong leadership, maturity, and order. the rebels are a bunch of racist pricks who want to kick out everybody from Skyrim. But I still take every chance I get to kill every Thalmor I see. the Stormcloak Rebellion is analogous to an uprising by the american Indians trying to kick out every single last person without American Indian blood in all of north America because they were there fist

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I'm playing as an argonian so I don't really have an aliegence either way.
Empire:
+Black Marsh is apart of the Empire
-Those dick elves enslaved my race

Rebels:
+Black March could be inspired to succeed
-Why? I have no real invested interest.

Stew Coard

Aug 14, 2011
IamLEAM1983 said:
Stew Coard said:
all star wars comparisons aside, when you start playing Skyrim will you support the Nords fighting for independence or will you fight to preserve the empire? I'm not sure if they let the player join the rebels or the empire, but I imagine that you will makes some decisions that will affect the fate of the empire. Whatever happens, the Empire's fall or renewal will definitely be a an important issue in the game.
*sighs* Again, Search Bar. Use it. There's already another poll on the very same subject.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.323634-Poll-Empire-or-Stormcloak?page=1

Let the record show this thread was created earlier than the one mentioned above

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Nalfen said:
I picked the Stormcloaks for one big reason; the Empire is allowing the Blades to be killed off. You know that group of people that is responsible for saving this world how many times? And now you want me to support the group that is behind killing them off? No thank you.
That's only kind of true. It's the Thulmer (the elven equivalent to the Stormcloaks) who's systematically hunting down the Blades. It was also the Thulmer who started the civil war that got the Empire into this whole mess. The Thulmer and the Blades fought a lot during the war and the Blades took heavy loses (if I remember properly). At the end of the war the EMpire was forced to sign a treaty with the Thulmer. Part of the treaty involved the eventually banning of Talos and the disbanning of the Blades.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Shaughn Caso said:
the Stormcloak Rebellion is analogous to an uprising by the american Indians trying to kick out every single last person without American Indian blood in all of north America because they were there fist
This might just be me generalizing people, but I saw more connections between the stormcloaks and the American South, especailly the Confederacy.

Zbljuv

Jul 19, 2011
Why is everyone saying that the stormcloaks are racist? Ive played trough most of the game helping them and there where only two instances of so called "racism". And one was two dumb drunks harrasing a dark elf. And they weren't even real stormcloaks they just happened to live in a stormcloak controlled city.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
Ulfric Stormcloak can talk all he wants about "freedom", but what he and the Stormcloaks are really after is ethnically cleansing Skyrim for the Nords. And Ulfric disguises his aspirations for power (as king of the Nords) behind rhetoric about freedom. The Empire, for all of its faults, its tolerant of all races. The Empire's faults really revolve around greed more than anything else.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Empire. All of Skyrim is a ruined dump as it is(most cities and castles are falling apart), the elves are bastards as ever and the stormcloaks are a bunch of xenophopic nazi dickholes. So my Argonian ass is siding with the empire. I also like their city(solitude) more than I do windhelm.

Switchblade 327

Nov 25, 2011
Well, let's examine this by the numbers:

Number of Imperial soldiers and officials that genuinely care about helping their people, their country, and you: 1 person inside of Helgen, and 90% of the people outside of Helgen.

Number of Stormcloak (rebel) soldiers that genuinely care about helping their people, their country, and you: Ralof.

I have to go with the Imperials. I've never been much for Imperialism (that is, ACTUAL Imperialism; it's not like it was something made up by Bethesda -.-), but I support it in this instance. The rebels also have very selfish, insular, and slightly racist motivations in what they do, which is a turn-off.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
trouble_gum said:
In-game lore covering the events of the Great War indicates that at least part of the Redguard success lay in the state of Aldmeri military forces at the time - the Redguard were fighting the remnants of the Aldmer Dominion's invasion force which had been defeated at the Battle of Red Ring. To say they did so "very successfully" is somewhat contradicted by the in-lore source which indicates most of southern Hammerfell was "devastated."
They single-handedly drove out the Dominion in 5 years, despite the Empire literally giving the land away to the Thalmor. If that isn't "successful" then nothing is.

And, in this, the Thalmor further drove apart the Empire and Hammerfell. If Skyrim also secedes from the Empire, you then have three seperate states where before you had a unified Empire. That unified Empire was able to fight the Aldmer Dominion to a standstill, albeit at great cost and without a truly resounding victory that would've meant a better outcome of the White-Gold Concordat. It can be inferred from in-game lore that this divided humanity is precisely what the Thalmor want; because it's easier to invade Hammerfell on its own that it proved to be to invade the Empire.
The Thalmor wanted the war in the first place, that's true, as it weakened both the Empire and Skyrim. They don't want Ulfric to win however, and this doesn't need to be "inferred from in-game lore", they literally say it themselves. "A Stormcloak victory is also to be avoided, however, so even indirect aid to the Stormcloaks must be carefully managed.".

They wanted the war to happen, and now they want it to continue. Helping the Stormcloaks to win is of no benefit to them at all.

It's classic Divide and Conquer - The Empire turned out not be the easy victory the Thalmor seemed to expect. Solution: drive its constituent parts away from the whole and gobble them up piecemeal. Even easier if Skyrim has spent several years engaged in bloody civil war; weakening it and the Empire into the bargain. You can't simply assert that Skyrim can protect itself, and trying to argue that the continued well-being of the whole (i.e, the Empire) is of no protection to the parts lacks credence. The combined forces of the Imperial military, from Cyrodiil, High Rock, Hammerfell and Skyrim barely stopped the Thalmor invasion. Individually, they surely stand far less chance against a full-scale invasion force.
Agreed, and it's already been highly successful. They no longer have Hammerfell, Elsweyr, or Black Marsh, not to mention the Summerset Isles, Morrowind, and Valenwood which were all previously parts of the Empire too. What's left simply cannot hold off the Ald'meri Dominion. Perhaps if they had continued to fight back when they had Hammerfell and Skyrim strongly at their side they maybe could have done it, but no, they surrendered, causing them to lose even more of their allies.

Now what do they have left? There's Cyrodiil, Skyrim and High Rock. That's it, and they don't even really control Skyrim any more. I don't know much about High Rock, and whether or not they still fully support the Empire or even if they have a strong enough military presence to make a real difference, so I can't really comment on them. Really this is just about the people of Cyrodiil wanting the people of Skyrim to protect them from the Ald'meri, which brings my to my next point. Why should they?

The assertion that the Empire didn't sacrifice lives is somewhat absurd: "Not a single legion had more than half its soldiers fit for duty. Two legions had been effectively annihilated, not counting the loss of the Eighth during the retreat from the Imperial City." Cyrodiil and the Imperial City were ravaged; the Imperial Palace sacked and burned. The Imperial Legions have been decimated. Skyrim takes place only 25 years after the end of the Great War - the Empire is probably just about back on its feet; no wonder the Thalmor are so keen on stirring up trouble between the Empire and Skyrim, hunting for people illegally worshiping Talos and generally poking their noses in everywhere.
I never said they didn't sacrifice any lives, I said they didn't sacrifice lives for Skyrim, or for any of the other Imperial provinces in fact. When the Imperial city was conquered they could have kept fighting, for the good of the Empire as a whole. The people of Hammerfell and Skyrim would have gladly continued fighting for the Empire, but the Empire apparently cares only about Cyrodiil, because they surrendered and even gave away Hammerfell lands to do it. They bought back their lands at the cost of their god and the lands of their provinces. It's clear where their priorities are.

If the Imperials consider their lands and their people to be of greater importance than the Empire as a whole then why the hell should its (few remaining) provinces act any differently? When the time came the Imperials did not give their lives to protect Skyrim or Hammerfell, and yet they still expect the people of Skyrim to give their lives to protect Cyrodiil?

Skyrim owes no loyalties to an Empire that has already turned its back on them, banned the worship of their gods, and let a foreign inquisition torture and kill Skyrim citizens in return for some temporary protection of their own lands. How anyone still supports them is beyond me.

Stew Coard

Aug 14, 2011
lunncal said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Empire. I never really read any of the Elder Scrolls books but so far in the games I havent found the most remote piece of evidence that the empire is evil.
Isn't the fact that they are an empire evil enough?

Tiber Septim (the guy who founded the third empire) just went around conquering every country in Tamriel (the continent the games are set in) with his unstoppable brass golem thing (Numidi... something). Those countries didn't willingly join the empire, and many of them wanted nothing to do with it. How would you feel if some other country decided yours had to obey their laws and pay your taxes to support their country?
well, historically speaking empires tend to promote unity, trade, prosperity, cultural diffusion, law and order, and the best organized front against invasion. Empires keep peace much better even if they use not so peaceful methods and unscrupulous policies to do so.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Frankly, not sure... I like the Empire and I think it's something very much worth preserving. The rebellion is stupid and desperate, but on the other hand, I very much support what they're fighting for. Thing is, even if the rebels win, they'll have the Aldmeri Dominion to contend with and not even the Empire as a whole is strong enough to keep them at bay atm.

If I had the option to influence how the Empire handles the White-Gold Concordat, it'd be a different thing. I'd throw it away and fight a war against the assholes. But as it is... it seems like nothing short of martyrdom with no real chance at victory.

Shilefin

Aug 18, 2011
You can't just really flat out say that *all* Stormcloacks are racist. They're not. Sure, Ulfric is a little racist, probably a nice chunk of them is racist, but still.

It's not really only the Stormcloacks that are exclusively racist towards Elves. You see, Nord resentfullness towards Elves has its roots way back when Saarthal, built by the first Nordic inhabitants, was attacked and burned by an Elven force in an event called 'The Night of Tears'. That's the whole reason Ysgramor formed the five hundred companions and drove elves out of Skyrim in the first place.

So yeah, you could say the war against the Aldmeri Dominion just opened up an old scar for the Nords in general. Sure, that still doesn't really justify the racism, but the racism is a far better alternative then signing White-Gold Concordat. I mean even though the pyrrhic victory that the Empire achieved ofer the Aldmeri Dominion was, well, pyrrhic, but it still was a victory. Signing the Concordat was especially a bad idea because White-Gold Concordat's terms were almost identical to those of the original ultimatum presented by the Thalmor prior to the war.

You must admit, even though Hammerfell was devastated after the war it still was better off becoming independent. Skyrim and Hammerfell could even form a military alliance, given the similar circumstances(If stormcloacks succeed, of course.) and the threat posed by the Aldmeri Dominion.

I hope i didn't make *that* many grammatical mistakes.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I'm siding with the empire. My ancestor was the Hero Of Kvatch, and in his honor I will save the empire he saved as well.