Poll: So, Depressed Much?

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Yeah that's pretty much it. I'm not a huge fan of how "society" (I hate using that in a blanket term) just jumps straight to medication as it's "easy".

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Used to be, depression onset by Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Better now though, after getting help, I'mma happy chappy now. <3

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
StBishop said:
You're bipolar yeah? My mum's bipolar, she was best when she was working. Mostly she'd have hyper manic stages and her depressive stages were generally not as bad as when she wasn't working.[footnote]She has heaps of issues aside from being bipolar, many of which are not to do with her mental health. I'm sure she has undiagnosed mental health issues to do with her perception of other people and their value.[/footnote]

That said, she's got this big thing about her "career" which she's convinced she was going to be some huge big deal and she thinks that my father and my sister wrecked it for her. Apparently I wasn't an issue, I think it's because I was her first child and she needed to tick that off.
Yes bipolar.

I mostly get depressive symptoms with the very occasional bout of extreme mania coming along to ruin my bank balance and make me feel alive.
I've already jacked one career and I'm trying to find another one, work does help I wasn't too bad when I was working full time.

I think it's sad that she blames that on your father and sister, maybe she needs some kind of psychiatric evaluation? (not trying to be a dick, don't feel up to long complex discussion so basic discussion will suffice.)

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
I wouldnt call it depression, but Im at that time in my life where nothing is happening and I cant do anything to change it.

Final year of school and the course Im doing outside of school doesn't even require any specific ATAR mark (the Australian equivalent of SAT scores) but still requires me to complete my final year, regardless of the marks attained, so Im basically playing the waiting game right now (on top of that Im taking a gap year after school to earn up some funds to move closer to my college, so extra waiting, yay).

My life isn't anywhere near hard or painful enough to call it depression though, just an overwhelming sense of pointlessness.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I see a councillor. I don't have any techniques or anything to help me through it but talking to her and just getting it off my chest helps a little. The worst I've ever gotten was when I started pressing a knife against my fingertips and my stomach, thankfully I have no pain threshold whatsoever, so I ddon't think I could go through with it.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Griffolion said:
SkarKrow said:
Yeah that's pretty much it. I'm not a huge fan of how "society" (I hate using that in a blanket term) just jumps straight to medication as it's "easy".
Yup. I find that my partner being supportive helps me a lot more than letting myself be controlled by pills.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
I am a bit depressed due to some recent events in my life. And me possibly screwing something up when I didn't intend to.

The thought makes me feel horrible and empty, and it's just nagging me in the back of my mind.

So yeah, I don't feel so good.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
SkarKrow said:
Griffolion said:
SkarKrow said:
Yup. I find that my partner being supportive helps me a lot more than letting myself be controlled by pills.
I've considered tablets. I'm not sure if that's the most healthy way to go though.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Ah, that's really good that you've got that support. It makes all the difference. My girlfriend resides in America and I'm in England, so my support is a little more long distance, :).

ProtoChimp said:
Only do them as a last resort, that's my advice. Alternatively, try and seek therapy, exercise (that's free, at least) and modify your eating to healthier things.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Been on antidepressants for a few years. Overdosed on the second drug in a failed suicide attempt (word to the wise: overdosing is a really, really painful way to commit suicide, I learned) Am on a better one now.

I... I don't know. Listen to music, I guess. Used to cut my arms and legs to relieve the tension, but it only works for a short term fix. Cool lyric I heard that describes the idea there: "I cut the veins in my neck to cool the blood that's boiling my soul."

So I guess the arts are, once again, man's best outlet.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
The moment I reach a stage where I see my life as an absolute wreck, I stop to realize how lucky my life already is, and remember that there are people who accept me and need my help. Sure it sounds corny, but I get back on track soon after.

Pros to my Dad for giving me this advice in the first place. He attempted suicide during college after breaking up with a girl, and actually prevented someone else from doing the same thing as he did.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I feel like shit pretty much everyday... if that's what you want to know...

Otherwise, I hate myself and want to die... and I can't think of one conceivable reason to think any different... and the only reason I'm still here is a complete lack of motivation to do anything... if it were up to me, I'd just sit in my room and probably eat myself to death... those are the only two things that come naturally to me...

But you know... it happens... and I'm perfectly contempt being complete waste the rest of my life... so I might as well do just that... seeing as how any attempt to aspire to do anything else would just result in failure on my part...

But whatever... It's cool...

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Griffolion said:
SkarKrow said:
Ah, that's really good that you've got that support. It makes all the difference. My girlfriend resides in America and I'm in England, so my support is a little more long distance, :).

ProtoChimp said:
Only do them as a last resort, that's my advice. Alternatively, try and seek therapy, exercise (that's free, at least) and modify your eating to healthier things.
It is good but she has to go to the states to see family sometimes, support is support though!

ProtoChimp said:
I've considered tablets. I'm not sure if that's the most healthy way to go though.
Last resort, they don't help, improve your diet and exercise and get some hugs :)

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
I was diagnosed with severe clinical depression and social phobia about 4,5 years ago. I took the meds, I went to the (completely free) therapy sessions. I had a lot of input in my preferred treatment plan, and even got refunds on my student loan, as the depression made me drop out of university.
Today, I would say I am between 80% and 90% better, depending on the day. Everyone who says they "push through" depression, or similar statements, have obviously not had a real depression.

Clinical depression =/= sadness.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I was diagnosed with clinical depression and I'm still be treated for it. My pitch black moments come in sporadic, manageable bursts, though. It can be tough, but I've found that consoling myself after an outburst or breakdown is actually harder than talking myself out of an outburst or breakdown. I always feel shit about it afterwards, regardless of its intensity.

I was also recently diagnosed with Asperger's (not a good thing, diagnosed at 19, since it's meant to be caught during childhood). It has surprisingly made me feel much better, though.

Also, often the more severe of my depression-related sadness just makes me not doing anything for days on end. I'll just lay in bed and mope, or sleep. I discovered, for example, that videogames do not make me happy. They mere keep me happy. Pretty interesting. Also, I argue with the voices in my head a lot when massively depressed. That's pretty weird. Can't say it doesn't help.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I'm actually quite happy at the moment. I've got the summer off before I go to university, I'm having a great time and I have loads to look forwards to.

I'm always rather dubious about self-diagnosing (too many people do it, it's quite annoying), but about last september to april I would say I was, at least, permanently, monumentally unhappy. It felt more like losing my nut completely rather than just being 'really, really sad' like I felt I had been before. I feel like a pillock talking about it though, I'm sure there are people who genuinely suffer from clinical depression who would find it silly. I think I just tend to have fairly low self esteem and I tend towards negative emotions, but then so do a lot of people. It's not like I'm bearing any special burden here.

Perhaps I am a cynical person, but I'm not sure how much I believe people on the internet who claim to have a mental condition. It's like a couple of years ago on The Escapist when everyone claimed to be schizophrenic. People like to sound interesting, and being depressed is somehow cool in a perverse way. It makes you sound deep and interesting. Yes, I'm sure there are genuinely depressed people on here, but I would bet considerable amounts of money that a good lot of the 40% of voters who claim to be depressed should really have gone for 'shit day'.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
SkarKrow said:
I won't take the pills, because the bipolar is a part of me that I don't want to let go.
Your choice. Just be aware that bipolar people are at a much higher risk of suicide than people with simple depression, because during a manic phase you guys actually have enough agency to do things.