Poll: So... Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2?

yaydod

Nov 29, 2011
Gardenia said:
Where's the "I'm still holding my breath for Titan Quest 2" option?
Well i would avoid that if I were you. The studio who made Titan Quest died out (Iron Lore) but the same guys (most of the team at least) are working on grimdawn, so i suggest that you take a look at thei forum and kickstarter.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn

OT: Well i picked Torchlight2, because hum.... No "always online" DRM, deosnt try to call it's self while being gimmicky, and well the guys behind seem to have a soul left .... maybe ... i hope so.

But im really waiting for GrimDawn because the guys making it are great and have very very good ideas.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
nu1mlock said:
CardinalPiggles said:
I'm happy for you?
.. "okay".

I bet you'll have just as much problems with people screaming at you if you play TL2 with randoms too.

If you're going to play all by yourself then you won't have a problem with them screaming in either game, and you won't have a problem with the RMAH if playing alone either. Which, by itself, isn't a problem as you're playing co-op, there's not stats and you get individual loot from enemies.

The only valid point you had was the offline part. I'm guessing you have a really shitty connection then. Because if you're on a plane or train you could just, I don't know, play something else. Or sleep. Or read a book. Or just about anything else than play D3 - it's not that hard.

OR you could just get both and stop choosing only one of them for a few bad reasons you probably won't notice anyway.

Besides, there's no release date for TL2, D3 is released in two days (well, 1 day and 2 hours for me).
Your absolutely right, my PC is held together with brown tape and my internet is still dial up, thanks for reminding me why I prefer TL.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
The Cool Kid said:
CardinalPiggles said:
nu1mlock said:
CardinalPiggles said:
you can play it off line
Which isn't a problem for me, I'll be playing with friends - I need to play online anyway.

CardinalPiggles said:
there is no real money auction house (pay to win system)
Which isn't a problem for me, I'll be playing with friends instead of stupid randoms.

CardinalPiggles said:
Plus there won't be hoards of die hard Blizzard fans shouting down their mic at you for being shit or stupid.
Which isn't a problem for me, I'll be playing with friends instead of stupid randoms.

Yeah, I'll be playing both, but I'll start with Diablo 3 as it's released in two days - Torchlight 2 isn't.
I'm happy for you?
Don't be antagonistic. Your pros for TL2 are quite hollow. Plus the minimum requirements for D3 are very low, which makes me think that most people settle with TL2 because their PC's/laptops are archaic.
Well actually it's kind of mediocre, and with that in mind D3 would probably look worse on minimum settings, whereas TL2 would look pretty decent because it's art style is similar to WoW (you know, that 8 year old game).

Plus, my pros are attributed to me, the one whom my purchase will affect, so I would like to make the smart choice if that's ok with you.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
The Cool Kid said:
An image is either progressive or interlaced; there is no 1080pi. And all that would do is increase detail if the texture resolutions were increased with it. You try to give the impression you understand graphics when it seems the opposite is true.
Smoothness is fuck all to do with sprites - it's to do with how the models have been created. They have purposely gone down the route of smooth models which I personally don't think fits the Diablo universe, nor does it fit the previous iterations of the game.
You seem to be getting confused with art direction and the game engine. The art style is fine, but the results when said style is passed through the engine is not similar to D1 or 2.

"It's a menu screen man". Oh please, don't just try to dismiss a point because it stumps you. As I said, you will spend a lot of time in the inventory, so it is a valid complaint. And Skyrim's inventory is fucking shit. Seriously there is so much horribly wrong with it whoever designed it should be fired. The use of space is appalling and the accessibility is terrible. However you are ignoring the point of D3's inventory clearly showing a completely different artistic direction. So, either deal directly with it, or go away. If you can't deal with not being right, then don't bother debating with anyone.
Wow... seriously? That's your reason?

No wait, you're not serious. There are a handful of valid complaints regarding D3, for instance the DRM and the RMAH. I understand for some people those are deal breakers. But complaining about the art style of a menu screen (which btw looks to be pretty faithful if you ask me) is not a valid complaint. That's something you talk about only when you're actively setting out to find things to complain about. Be honest, you're annoyed about something legitimate like the DRM. Just say that. You're not wrong; Blizzard's business decisions have been shitty. But don't go making up stupid reasons for your disapproval. It only acts to invalidate your complaint. Nobody has ever had their opinions of a game swayed by something as pissy as the visuals in a menu screen.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
The Cool Kid said:
I'm not out on some nerd mission to hate the next big game...
It sounds like it. I don't believe anybody would bring up the art style of a menu screen (which, once again, looks extremely similar in style to D2s btw) unless they were trying to find reasons to complain. Tell me otherwise, but I don't believe you. You're obviously dissatisfied by something, but I do not believe it is the menus screens that have invoked such an emotive response.

Well anyway, IMO TL2 looks more like WoW. D3 looks like D2 with updated graphics, again IMO. I happen to like both *shrugs*

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
BENZOOKA said:
Constantly online: Who the hell isn't online all the time anyways. If my connection for the strangest reason went down: not being able to play a certain video game wouldn't be my biggest concern.
Thank you!

I've been wondering this myself.
If the internet is down, it usually means just a quick restart of the modem, or electricity is down and the pc wouldn't work anyway.

Or are there parts in America where they still don't have a stable connection?
If that is the case then America is in a far worse state then I thought.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Dags90 said:
And a lot of the gear was pretty colorful, if not downright fabulous:

That comment combined with your avatar is awesome.

OP: I'll be getting D3 because I burned sooooo many hours in D2. It was one of the first PC games that I dedicated myself to. There are still few things out there that are as fun than Hell difficulty Hardcore with my Smiterdin raping faces. Ahhh... the memories...

I've played Torchlight and it really really bored me. The only thing it did for me, was make me want to play D2 really badly. Which I did, lol. I've seen Torchlight 2, and it looks shiney and flashy, but thats about it. I don't get how "it has multiplayer now!" is a selling point. Games like that should just have multiplayer. Sure its a step up from Torchlight 1 which didn't have multiplayer, but when someone goes "Your D3 has really fucking hard difficulties? Well my Torchlight 2 has multiplayer. WHATS UP NOW?!?" I just sit back and laugh.

If you want my advice, wait 6 months after the release of each, listen to many reviews, check out gameplay and streams, then decide from there. Rumor's of D3's expansion will probably be being fleshed out, and TL2 fans will be getting bored.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Ranorak said:
BENZOOKA said:
Constantly online: Who the hell isn't online all the time anyways. If my connection for the strangest reason went down: not being able to play a certain video game wouldn't be my biggest concern.
Thank you!

I've been wondering this myself.
If the internet is down, it usually means just a quick restart of the modem, or electricity is down and the pc wouldn't work anyway.

Or are there parts in America where they still don't have a stable connection?
If that is the case then America is in a far worse state then I thought.
I think many are in Europe/Canada or other places that have stupid ass internet laws. This would be a deal breaker for them I would imagine. America has internet damn near everywhere that matters, if someone is trying to play Diablo III, say, in the middle of bumfuck nowhere in the woods hours away from civilization? That is there own fault.

Damn I really need to stop typing when I first wake up >.<
But can you really blame a game company for choices it makes if your country is the one that isn't keeping up with modern times?

I mean, sure it sucks that your country doesn't offer you a stable connection. But most of the western world actually has a stable 24/7 connection.
And yes, sometimes I have some internet troubles as well, but there are far worse things that getting locked out of a game for a few minutes.

nu1mlock

May 5, 2012
Capitano Segnaposto said:
I think many are in Europe/Canada or other places that have stupid ass internet laws. This would be a deal breaker for them I would imagine. America has internet damn near everywhere that matters, if someone is trying to play Diablo III, say, in the middle of bumfuck nowhere in the woods hours away from civilization? That is there own fault.

Damn I really need to stop typing when I first wake up >.<
I'm not so sure about that, Europe has great connections. It's the US where limits and unstable connection is common. Or at least a lot more common than in Europe.

Obviously, there's going to be super stable connections in the US and worthless shitty connections in Europe too, but overall, the connections in Europe are really good. Especially in Sweden. ;)

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
I can't believe there's no 'both' option...

But at the moment I only have enough cash for Diablo 3, which very firmly wins it for me. Definitely going to get Torchlight 2 as soon as I can, though.