Poll: Solve a simple math problem

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Enigmatic Master said:
actually you need parathesis to do it how you show in the spoiler the way it is posted now means every is multiplied by zero thus the answer is zero
No. You don't.

You do know that in the Order of Operations, Multiplication/Division comes BEFORE Addition/Subtraction? No?
basic algebra c'mon people
I couldn't agree more.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
novixz said:
The first thing they teach you when multiplying is anything multiplied by 0 will ultimately be 0. That's pretty simple.
Parentheses
Exponents
Multiplication/Division
Addition/Subtraction

1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+(1*0)
1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1
1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

(more proof: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1-1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1%2B1*0 )

It saddens me that these people can vote.

FrossetMareritt

Sep 10, 2008
One massive facepalm for every time someone says, "It's zero because anything times zero is zero."

On a slightly related side note: Is there a way I can get reimbursed for my tax dollars?

(>-_-)>

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
It's 14. There are no parenthesis, so the multiplication comes first. 1*0=0. Add and subtract the other ones and you get 14.

Harlief

Jul 8, 2009
Actually, I would argue that this isn't a simple maths problem because it contains no (for lack of a better word) punctuation. In the absence of these, reading left to right, you get zero; but looking at all the discussion about what the answer actually is should show you how badly phrased this equation is.

Also, making this point is about as witty as saying "Alanis Morrisette's song Ironic isn't ironic."

gravitii

Jun 22, 2010
Pretty simple, just testing our understanding of order of operations.

to OP: I'd prefer you didn't describe those who got it wrong as "retarded" when in reality they're just stupid or read the problem too quickly.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Harlief said:
reading left to right, you get zero; but looking at all the discussion about what the answer actually is should show you how badly phrased this equation is.
No.

It shows how badly 50% of those who have answered the poll are at reading mathematical equations, and/or their misunderstanding of the Order of Operations.

It is a scientific fact that the speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
Which explains why people appear to be brighter before they open their mouths. And, this thread is simply a megaphone.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
henritje said:
0 X*0=0 I didn't have to read the entire problem.
Aaaaannnd another takes the bait.

You should really take the second or two extra to notice the lack of parenthesis's around all the 1's.

FrossetMareritt

Sep 10, 2008
SuperMse said:
Problem is poorly notated. Invalid.
Not exactly sure how this problem is poorly notated. This is exactly the type of problem prospective students or job seekers see on an entrance fundamentals test for programs/jobs that are very heavy in math. It's to see if you know PEMDAS (which is crucial in higher mathematics) and to see if you're paying attention.

madwarper said:
It is a scientific fact that the speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
Which explains why people appear to be brighter before they open their mouths. And, this thread is simply a megaphone.
This made my night. Thanks! ^_^

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
madwarper said:
SuperMse said:
Problem is poorly notated. Invalid.
No. People have poor reading skills.
It's not even reading skill problem.. it's actually if they read it aloud and added the parenthesis in their mind where there is none. It's very common with any form of multiplication, you would put *10 at the end and they would still multiply the whole sum by 10 rather than just last number.

MoNKeyYy

Evidence or GTFO
Jun 29, 2010
Lol I'm an idiot. I answered zero then I was like awww wait a second, order of operations. D'oh well.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
TheTechnomancer said:
Lukeje said:
TheTechnomancer said:
Well i'm not sure but my maths text book says 1/0 is infinity so no ofense but i'll trust that over you.
Are you sure it doesn't just say that the limit of 1/x as x->0 is infinity? Infinity is a tricky concept...
Pretty sure as some questions in the book required you to use 'infinity = 1/0' in order to get to the correct answer.
Example please?