Poll: Solve a simple math problem

The_Evermind

Jul 7, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Anyway, the answer - according to me I Ching calculator - is "A suffusion of yellow".
Just wanted to say, that book was hilarious, good on you.

O.T. For all of those who say it is 4 because of some acronym you are grouping things incorrectly, if you do want to add brackets in to help then you can do it like this.

1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+1*0
1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+(1*0)
(1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1)-1+(1+1+1+1+1)+0
10-1+5
9+5+14

Or if you are really good you could do it like this.
(1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1)+(-1+1+1+1+1+1)
(10)+(4)=0

For those of you haven't done math in years you could even do it like this.
1+1+1+1
Abe gave me a dollar and Bob gave me a dollar and Carl gave me a dollar and Dave gave me a dollar

+1+1+1+1
and Earl gave me a dollar and Fred gave me a dollar and Gabe gave me a dollar and Hana gave me a dollar

+1+1-1+1
and Ian gave me a dollar and Jane gave me a dollar and Kevin took a dollar and Lilly gave me a dollar

+1+1+1+1
Megan gave me a dollar and Nathan gave me a dollar and Oliver gave me a dollar and Pat gave me a dollar

+ 1 * 0 = 14
and Quinn gave me 1 dollar 0 times, so I had how many dollars? 14

Tim Mazzola

Dec 27, 2010
madwarper said:
Tim Mazzola said:
Also, to all you "undefined" folks, in what universe would * be the symbol for division? I have never seen that before in my life. It's always been / where I come from.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, because you refuse to read the posts of the first page; Edited original post is edited.
I DID read the edited original post. I never said you still thought it was true, I just asked where you got the idea in the first place.

novixz

Feb 7, 2011
The first thing they teach you when multiplying is anything multiplied by 0 will ultimately be 0. That's pretty simple.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
the solution is X=N-1 where N is the number of 1s. Only one of the 1s is cancelled by the zero, as per normal rules of mathematical order.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Tim Mazzola said:
I DID read the edited original post. I never said you still thought it was true, I just asked where you got the idea in the first place.
You failed to read the other posts on the first page.
Glademaster said:
Flailing Escapist said:
So a couple weeks ago I bumped into this math "problem":
1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+1/0=?

The answer is pretty simple, I got it on my first try. But a lot of my friends and classmates couldn't solve it right away; and most of them are college students which is really sad. This is stuff you should study in middle school. Take a stab at it!

P
(Parentheses)
E
Exponentials*
M
Multiplication x
D
Division /
A
Addition +
S
Subtraction -
You kinda messed up a bit there. 1/0 means nothing really. Other than that if it is meant to be 1*0 then it is 14. This is not a simple Math problem it is simply a dirty trick to try catch people out.
People see the symbol for division when the symbol used IS the symbol for division.

Sep 14, 2009
holy crap...people don't take the PEMDAS rule to the exact fine print point, when there is addition and subtraction, you follow it left to right, if they wanted you to do subtraction second AND leave it in the same spot, they would have brackets/parenthesis in there.

still..i am happy the results are much better than facebook, there was maybe 32% getting 14 and a good 50 or so % was getting 0...

The_Evermind said:
FalloutJack said:
Anyway, the answer - according to me I Ching calculator - is "A suffusion of yellow".
Just wanted to say, that book was hilarious, good on you.

O.T. For all of those who say it is 4 because of some acronym you are grouping things incorrectly, if you do want to add brackets in to help then you can do it like this.

1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+1*0
(1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1)-1+(1+1+1+1+1)+0
10-1+5
9+5+14

Or if you are really good you could do it like this.
(1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1)+(-1+1+1+1+1+1)
(10)+(4)=0

For those of you haven't done math in years you could even do it like this.
1+1+1+1
Abe gave me a dollar and Betty gave me a dollar and Carl gave me a dollar and Dave gave me a dollar

+1+1+1+1
and Earl gave me a dollar and Fred gave me a dollar and Gabe gave me a dollar and Hana gave me a dollar

+1+1-1+1
and Ian gave me a dollar and Jane gave me a dollar and Kevin took a dollar and Louis gave me a dollar

+1+1+1+1
Megan gave me a dollar and Nathan gave me a dollar and Oliver gave me a dollar and Pat gave me a dollar

+ 1 * 0 = 14
and Quinn gave me 1 dollar 0 times, so I had how many dollars? 14
this is a very good way for beginners to understand on it, i don't have the patience right now to write that all out so i'll just quote for extra assurance that anyone who is getting it wrong can see this.

Tim Mazzola

Dec 27, 2010
madwarper said:
Tim Mazzola said:
You failed to read the other posts on the first page.
Glademaster said:
Flailing Escapist said:
So a couple weeks ago I bumped into this math "problem":
1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+1/0=?

The answer is pretty simple, I got it on my first try. But a lot of my friends and classmates couldn't solve it right away; and most of them are college students which is really sad. This is stuff you should study in middle school. Take a stab at it!

P
(Parentheses)
E
Exponentials*
M
Multiplication x
D
Division /
A
Addition +
S
Subtraction -
You kinda messed up a bit there. 1/0 means nothing really. Other than that if it is meant to be 1*0 then it is 14. This is not a simple Math problem it is simply a dirty trick to try catch people out.
People see the symbol for division when the symbol used IS the symbol for division.
This is getting really confusing, because there are post saying undefined before that post.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Tim Mazzola said:
This is getting really confusing, because there are post saying undefined before that post.
Did you read the quote? The original UNEDITED post said "...+1/0".

Anything divided by 0 is undefined. That is why the first responses are saying "division" and "undefined", because the original post included division by 0.

Since then, the original post was edited to "...+1x0" and was edited again to "...+1*0".

Tim Mazzola

Dec 27, 2010
madwarper said:
Tim Mazzola said:

Anything divided by 0 is undefined. That is why the first responses are saying "division" and "undefined", because the original post included division by 0.

Since then, the original post was edited to "...+1x0" and was edited again to "...+1*0".
OH, ok. I wasn't aware you could even edit polls, that's what confused me XD Sorry for the confusion

Also the "(it has been recently pointed out to me that * is the sign for multiplication on the internet)" confused me as well, because I thought you had it mixed up XD

This thread was already like 6 pages in before I even lurked it, so... ya, I was puzzled XD

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
How is this a thread, exactly? The math problem is ludicrously simple. Also, what's with all the 0 answers? Something about a division typo? It wouldn't equal 0 even if it were division.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009

As in, if you're over 14 and can't solve this, you really should have been paying more attention in school.

TheLiham

Apr 15, 2010
mikespoff said:

As in, if you're over 14 and can't solve this, you really should have been paying more attention in school.
Can't tell if trolling or just stupid...

OT: Zero, anything multiplied by zero is zero.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
madwarper said:
Tim Mazzola said:

Well, thank you for keeping track. And yes it was originally 1/0 because I wasn't paying a lot of attention to what I was writing at the moment. And then it was swiftly changed to 1x0 even tho I know x is usually an independent variable I figured everybody else could figure out that x would stand for multiplication not x the variable. And later it was changed to 1*0 because another escapist informed me that * stands for multiplication on the internet and yet several people since then have mistaken it for the "powers(^)" sign. So I guess there's no pleasing everyone but to your original question I don't know why I put 1/0 originally; I fucked up and that wasn't what I meant to type(I typed it twice and I still missed it. And I am the fool!).
But the actual problem is:
1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+1*0=?

Satisfied?

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
TheLiham said:
mikespoff said:

Mister, that's a fancy looking glass house. Don't think you want to go messing with that pile of stones over there...

No, he's not trolling or stupid. No, the answer is NOT 0.
Flailing Escapist said:
Satisfied?
Yes, was just pointing out why the original responses to the original original post don't reflect what the original post in its current form says.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
what the hell is (*)? division? multiplication?
also, why do people think these math problems are for good discussions?

aprildog18

Feb 16, 2010
The answer is 14. If you guys are going waaaah and believe it is 0, go copy and paste that equation. Google never lies. Wolframalpha doesn't lie either.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
madwarper said:
Flailing Escapist said:
Satisfied?
Yes, was just pointing out why the original responses to the original original post don't reflect what the original post in its current form says.
Not you, I was asking if Tim Mazzola was satisfied. He seemed to be the one with the question.
Good job, tho. I'm glad somebody else understands whats going on.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010

I know this question is suppose to trick people into doing a quick look through and answer without really looking carefully. First there's the *0 which makes plenty of people think that it's just zero (anything multiplied by zero is zero) without noticing that you only multiply one 1 by 0. For those that noticed that little trick and figured they were brighter than the average bulb, they left that random -1 in there that people aren't as likely to notice. So people answer 16 without checking the whole thing.

So if you answered incorrectly because you skimmed it, don't feel too bad, it's made to be tricky and fake you out.
TheLiham said:
mikespoff said:

The irony of this post, It pleases me.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
Irony said:
TheLiham said:
mikespoff said:

The irony of this post, It pleases me.
I know, I got quite a kick out of the irony too. :)

Enigmatic Master

Aug 19, 2010
actually you need parathesis to do it how you show in the spoiler the way it is posted now means every is multiplied by zero thus the answer is zero basic algebra c'mon people