Poll: Statment: Games with sex in them

Ryanrulez5

Nov 24, 2010
I usually find out games with nudity or sex usually are desperate for sales and media and are usually really poorly recevied e.g. mass effect 1 (lots of public attention) what do you think about this?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Sex is a part of life. If handled well/maturely there is no reason it shouldn't have a place in video games as well.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
I honestly don't care, I mean Heavy Rain had a "sex" scene (interactive, no less.) As did many (if not all) games in the God of War series.

Games aren't allowed to portray sex in the same way film or books do, for whatever reason. Maybe because some people view them as things for children, and all that jazz.

I don't think movies that use sex or nudity to be "desperate", some of my favourite movies have a mild sex scene or some nudity (As much as 'R' will allow). As do some of my favourite books, including 'Shutter Island', which has some pretty weird sexual stuff in it.

So, naturally, if a game uses sex or nudity and it isn't just some shameless "Look at our new boob-jiggle physic engine," then it's fine.

TL;DR
Stated much more elegantly by [user]Fappy[/user]

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Ah yes the "but it's for kids" mentality... pure ignorance.

Games that do sex and nudity in a reasonable fashion are received just fine with people who bother to understand the medium, and the naysayers will always be just that... if we go far enough back I'm pretty sure someone objected to the wheel and called it corruption of youth and what not.
Just need to press on, try to educate those who want to learn and leave those who do not fit in our society on the side.

That being said however it's not all peaches and roses within out community either, a whole lot of people have problems grasping the concept of "this medium is not inferior, it can tackle all subjects others can".

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
M... Mass Effect 1 was poorly received? Where?

Either way, it can be done well and it can be done poorly. It's no different than in movies. Sure, they can be trying too hard to get media attention, but everyone does that when they know they've got a bad product. Just learn to differentiate between Boardwalk Empire and Piranha 3D.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I disagree, quite a lot of games I've seen with sex and nudity in them, it isn't desirable nudity, it's just nudity because it's a mature game and sometimes adults find themselves in situations where's they'll be nude, so why pretend nudity doesn't exist.

For example, both GTA IV: The Lost and Damned and Kane and Lynch 2 featured full frontal nudity in them, but I doubt that was an attempt to endear the games to the shrivelled, saggy, middle-age man loving demographic.

Likewise, the sex scene in Red Dead Redemption wasn't an attempt to sell the game to lovers of fugly Hispanic women with floppy tits, it was just part of the narrative, just like Irish's final scene wasn't pandering to fans of horse cock.

Nudity can be a powerful narrative tool and the simple act of one person unashamedly getting nude in the presence of another person (and their subsequent reaction) can imply more in a few seconds of a cutscene than words alone ever could.

Also, if you look at the optional nudity and streaking/flashing activities in the Saints Row games, it's presented as a disgusting, shocking act that rallies against a social taboo, not as a sexually attractive or desirable thing designed to titillate or entice.

Finally, in a competitive marketplace within a Capitalist society, aren't all games desperate for sales, regardless of their content?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
> Mass Effect 1
> lots of public attention
> poorly received
> mfw

As for the rest of it - no. Or rather, Fappy seems to have pretty much /threaded this with the first post.

L0dest0ne

Sep 24, 2012
If it's done tastefully, it can add to the game and further deepen the characters. If not, it can greatly cheapen the game and make it seem like just another one of those WRPGs.

Templarixx

Aug 13, 2012
Mass Effect is a good example because it shows that games sell without using sex as a major point in a game.

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
I remember Xenogears having a sex scene.

Of course, that never gets talked about. Probably has something to do with the fact that it's near the end of a 70-hour long JRPG.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Not necessarily. If they are advertising the game as ?Hey look, naked tits!!? then yeah it?s an indication that they are desperate for attention, the games probably going to horrible and a lot of people don't take this approach very well but not all games that have sex in them are bad or heavily market that fact. It can just be part of the game and the story if it's not shoved in your face.
I don't know why you used ME as an example because that wasn't poorly received.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Depends really.

DoA Beach Volleyball? Desperate and pathetic.

ME1? Well mannered and mature.

ripdajacker

Code Monkey
Oct 25, 2009
Obvious over sexualization: bad for the game, of course. Same goes for all other media. If I want to be engaged intellectually, I don't read playboy.

Sex and/or nudity should be in more games, but not for the sake of the sex. It should be a part of the narrative, just as it is in movies.

There's nothing inherently bad with nudity in games, it's just that the medium is young, and the "right way" to potray sexuality in games hasn't been figured out yet.

Catherine here is a good example. On the one side it's over sexualizing and clearly a macho fantasy. On the other hand it explores relationships and commitment issues like I haven't seen in a game before.

higgs20

Feb 16, 2010
I think it depends on the game, if you're shoe-horning tits into your tetris style puzzle game your probably doing it for the publicity.

If you're trying to build a compelling story with believably human characters then things like sex are going to and should come up. that doesn't mean it's always handled well but sex is a part of life and if you want your story to involve various characters emotional ties to one another then you can't just ignore sex.

Also as a side point, why is it that violence is accepted as a staple of video games but sex is this huge fopa?

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Fappy said:
Sex is a part of life. If handled well/maturely there is no reason it should have a place in video games as well.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

OT: The censors need to grow up and get over this juvenile attitude towards sex in video games. Sex is important. Sex is life itself (in that it can produce new life).

Why do people like sex and violence? Because what is more important than life (sex) and death (violence)? Philosophers have pondered these things for thousands of years.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Bara_no_Hime said:
Fappy said:
Sex is a part of life. If handled well/maturely there is no reason it should have a place in video games as well.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

OT: The censors need to grow up and get over this juvenile attitude towards sex in video games. Sex is important. Sex is life itself (in that it can produce new life).

Why do people like sex and violence? Because what is more important than life (sex) and death (violence)? Philosophers have pondered these things for thousands of years.
I realize my best points on these forums always have typos in them as well >.>

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Ryanrulez5 said:
I usually find out games with nudity or sex usually are desperate for sales and media and are usually really poorly recevied e.g. mass effect 1 (lots of public attention) what do you think about this?
Only game I saw that handled sex maturely was Katawa Shoujo

Trying to look for other visual novels that handle sex, without it being obnoxious

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
God of War did well, since they just had the sex and the nudity there. Have you ever been to Greece, yeah they're all about naked mythological stuff. It'd have been pretty poor show for them to not have included it. You could even argue that the fact that the QTE movements were the same ones used for executions, highlighting the link between lust and anger as basic human instincts. Though you could also argue that it just cut down time for a fairly minor thing in the games so they could move onto more puzzles and murder.

There are some games that clearly are using it for cheap and easy sales or media coverage, that's true. However it's unfair to say that all games that have sex or nudity in them do it for that reason.