Poll: Steak - How do you like yours?

science girl

Jun 1, 2010
I like mine to be nearly black outside. I know some people say it ruins a steak but hey it's my steak! :)

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Wolverine18 said:
Hoplon said:
Wolverine18 said:
You fry your steak? That's just horrible.
wut? that's the default way of cooking it.

Unless you think "fry" means something other than "cook it in a frying pan" since that's all it implies.
Yes, I know you meant cook it in a frying pan.

Steaks belong on the grill. Never met a fried steak that was any good. The only people I know who fry steaks are ones who don't have access to a grill or are using crapola cuts of meat.
"Grilling is a form of cooking that involves dry heat applied to the surface of food, commonly from above or below."

Are you sure you know what a frying pan is? because with out any oil in it that's pretty much exactly what it does.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
SkullKing84 said:
My wife loves it Burt to a crisp and I like the ability to drink it... mmm mmm blood
It's actually not blood, it's myoglobin. I generally prefer my beef ground up into hamburgers. I don't care much for steak, not a fan of the chewing.

Wolverine18 said:

Steaks belong on the grill. Never met a fried steak that was any good. The only people I know who fry steaks are ones who don't have access to a grill or are using crapola cuts of meat.
And chicken fried steak. I'll eat a thin chicken fried steak with gravy.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
If I'm at a nice restaurant, rare. Practically falls apart in your mouth if you order a good cut.

On the other hand, if I'm just grilling a sirloin or a chuck steak or something else like that, I'll let it cook a bit longer.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Metalhandkerchief said:
Wolverine18 said:
Hoplon said:
Wolverine18 said:
You fry your steak? That's just horrible.
wut? that's the default way of cooking it.

Unless you think "fry" means something other than "cook it in a frying pan" since that's all it implies.

That's silly. Putting a steak on the grates of a grill automatically makes it lose fluid more rapidly, then factor in the direct glow and you have yourself a lost steak.
Nothing beats a charcoal grill in terms of flavor. This is pretty much an indisputable fact.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Colour-Scientist said:
Daystar Clarion said:
OT: Medium rare.

Lovely and juicy.

Can't see the point having it well done. Waste of good steak if you ask me.
This.
I used to enjoy it well done but my boyfriend's a chef and he has conditioned me into having my steak a bit more rare.
He's a food snob though, according to him well done steaks are for pleps.
I believe this is fitting for this thread:

OT: I like my steak's chicago style, they're totally burnt to a crisp on the outside but because it happens so fast it's still pretty pink on the inside. I never really liked anything below medium.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Wolverine18 said:
You know someone has no argument when they go to a dictionary to try and prove their point instead of discussing the issue at hand. Since you previously used grilling not in that context but in the context I meant it, its pretty clear you are just trying to be obnoxious by pulling out that definition.
I think you think I am some one else.

I haven't mentioned grilling before that. I was trying to figure out why you think pan frying of steak is some sort of crime.

Pan frying (in a frying pan) tends to cook the escaping juices on to the out side of the steak, preserving flavour. Grilling usually requires marination of some sort to prevent the meat drying out.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
I want it as red as you can serve it to me.

My friends are convinced I won't be satisfied until I bite into a live cow.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Metalhandkerchief said:
lwm3398 said:
Nothing beats a charcoal grill in terms of flavor. This is pretty much an indisputable fact.
On general meat yes, on a fine steak, no. The whole point of a good steak is that it is not any old meat. You could eat the steak as if it was a pork chop but you wouldn't be experiencing the taste of a steak. Grilled meat is good, but I wouldn't waste a steak on the grill to dry it up and make it inherently un-steaky.
Alright, that's certainly true. I suppose I just prefer the grill because I buy thicker, much cheaper cuts, and pan frying them is simply a ***** to try. But when I grill such a thick steak (we're talking more than two inches, here) it retains flavor and juices in the center while still getting cooked fairly quickly.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Wolverine18 said:
Ok, I had to look that one up. Why is it called "chicken fried" when there is no chicken involved? I'll have to take your word on it that its good, anything with "white gravey" on it doesn't appeal to me.
Because it's fried like chicken, obviously. It's pan fried though, not deep fried. It's quite tasty.

Oh, I also eat beefsteak occasionally.