Poll: Steak - How do you like yours?

namhorFnodroG

Nov 2, 2011
Well, it depends on what kinda meat it is, but I tend to want to have it Rare most of the time. I just tend to like it a little bloody.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Wolverine18 said:
Hoplon said:
Wolverine18 said:
You know someone has no argument when they go to a dictionary to try and prove their point instead of discussing the issue at hand. Since you previously used grilling not in that context but in the context I meant it, its pretty clear you are just trying to be obnoxious by pulling out that definition.
I think you think I am some one else.

I haven't mentioned grilling before that. I was trying to figure out why you think pan frying of steak is some sort of crime.

Pan frying (in a frying pan) tends to cook the escaping juices on to the out side of the steak, preserving flavour. Grilling usually requires marination of some sort to prevent the meat drying out.
No, in grill frying to sear each side, which keeps the juices in. There is never a need to marinate a steak unless is a poor cut.
Which is exactly what happens in pan frying, so once again I have to ask what the fuck you are talking about "frying is for shitty bits of meat when you have no grill"

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
I don't like steak, it is one of the few meats I don't like. It is tough and the taste does nothing for me.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I don't eat steak.
It's not my thing, I prefer chicken.
Am I to be burned at the... stake?

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Medium. Though I enjoy my steak being nice and juicy, our ancestors did not invent fire for us to not have our food pleasantly cooked through. Also, maybe it's different when you can afford nice expensive steak, but as far as me and my gang of pikey student bastards went the steak was too cheap to be any good without a decent bit of cooking.

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Medium well. I don't like anything below that. Too damn chewy. Doesn't matter how "flavorful" the thing is if my jaw falls off :)
I would invite you try a rib-eye at a decent steakhouse. It's got fat marbled in with the meat making it very tender. The steak literally melts in your mouth thus it is nicked-named butter steak. And if you did already try a medium to medium rare rib-eye and didn't experience that phenomenal sensation, you should go over slap the grill master, because he just screwed up a perfectly lovely cut of meat.

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
Wolverine18 said:
Metalhandkerchief said:
Wolverine18 said:
Hoplon said:
Wolverine18 said:
You fry your steak? That's just horrible.
wut? that's the default way of cooking it.

Unless you think "fry" means something other than "cook it in a frying pan" since that's all it implies.
Yes, I know you meant cook it in a frying pan.

Steaks belong on the grill. Never met a fried steak that was any good. The only people I know who fry steaks are ones who don't have access to a grill or are using crapola cuts of meat.
That's silly. Putting a steak on the grates of a grill automatically makes it lose fluid more rapidly, then factor in the direct glow and you have yourself a lost steak.
Odd then that all the 5star places put it on grills.
Actually, most 5-star steak restaurants broil their steaks in meticulously controlled ovens.

Sneezeburger

Aug 16, 2012
Well done.
Mwahaha. I'm shocked by this poll honestly. I know its not unhealthy, and its not actauly blood its..whatever..stuff. But at the same time. Jesus christ i don't want my fucking steak BLEEDING ON MY PLATE. I like it to be brown all over.

Basicaly. I want my steak as pink as my chicken (not very fucking pink).

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...not from a restaurant. Paying for the same service done to successively less shitty cuts of meat by an exponential scale is a horrible racket. Also, cooked pretty well through. No problem with a little pink, but I don't lick iron tools, so I don't want to taste that cow's myoglobin.

Beef is hardly my favorite meat in any case... farm-raised grain-fed meat never has much flavor. Takes a very good cut of beef to be even close to decent. A vast majority of beef is really only fit for grinding.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Medium-Well. I like the outside to be a bit crispy while the inside is still reasonably juicy. I've tried well-done, and it was just way too dry for me. I ended up having to drown it in sauce. On the other hand, I don't really like anything less than medium because of the texture. For some reason meat with that sort of texture makes me a little bit queasy.

Generally speaking though, I'm not really a steak person. It's pretty rare that I'll order it. Usually I'll get chicken or pasta dishes at restaurants.

uberDoward

Jan 22, 2010
DugMachine said:
Medium Rare. And if you're a master of cooking and somehow make the outside crunchy while keeping it a nice pink then you are a god in my book.
You sear it at high temp about 2/3 of the way done. Preferably with a good rub (I do mine blackened & blue like this - cajun seasonings, pepper, and blue cheese crumbles on top!)

uberDoward

Jan 22, 2010
Metalhandkerchief said:
lwm3398 said:
Nothing beats a charcoal grill in terms of flavor. This is pretty much an indisputable fact.
On general meat yes, on a fine steak, no. The whole point of a good steak is that it is not any old meat. You could eat the steak as if it was a pork chop but you wouldn't be experiencing the taste of a steak. Grilled meat is good, but I wouldn't waste a steak on the grill to dry it up and make it inherently un-steaky.
Evidently you need to know how to work a grill, then!

I don't want to boast, but I can make fire do amazing things with meat on a grill ;)

The major problem I've seen with people trying to grill entirely too hot. If you have a propane grill, then put it to the LOWEST setting, and keep the lid closed. If you have a charcoal grill, let the fire die down a bit before you start grilling.

The trick is to grill longer at a lower temp. I've seen guys 'grill' a steak in 10 minutes or less. Sorry, you may as well have taken a blow torch to it!!

My steaks take 30+ minutes to grill, depending on the cut, and how well done people want them. I like mine a medium rare.

Thanks to this post, when I get paid tomorrow I'm going out, buying steak, and Monday having a steak dinner, LOL

uberDoward

Jan 22, 2010
Mike Monochrome said:
Just regular medium. I know it's wishy-washy, but medium rare is a bit too bloody for my tastes.
Medium rare should not be bloody. It should have a warm pink center, filled with juicy awesomeness.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Don't really care, medium rare or thoruh cooked depending on how the chef thinks he makes them better :p