Poll: Steak - How do you like yours?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Still attached to the cow.
I hate steak, absolutely cannot stand it. It's the texture more than anything. I'm not a vegetarian, but the only forms of meat I really like are hotdogs and balogna. Processed stuff.

PS. The poll results are flicking me off.

Spartan Altego

Aug 7, 2012
Medium-rare steak is glorious.
Myndnix said:
I like my steak well done, with some mustard if possible.
I'm all for tolerating other's choices but...no. Just NO. Eating steak well Done and with Mustard?! Heretic!

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
In the words of B.A. Barracus from A-team:

"Murdock, burn it black. Like it was damned!!" *puts gunpowder on steak, which explodes upon hitting the grill*

(in other words, well-done)

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Rare. But like, right between raw and rare. Slightly cooked, I'll even take it if it's still slightly cold.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
'Aggressively nuked after a thrilling and dangerous arms race' isn't an option. It should be

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
I like my steak like I like my women...
Still attached to the cow.

Really, medium rare.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Just a bit more cooked then the OP.

Like it firm but with a nice juicy pink centre.

......and now my mind is in the gutter.

uberDoward

Jan 22, 2010
Metalhandkerchief said:
uberDoward said:
Metalhandkerchief said:
lwm3398 said:
Nothing beats a charcoal grill in terms of flavor. This is pretty much an indisputable fact.
On general meat yes, on a fine steak, no. The whole point of a good steak is that it is not any old meat. You could eat the steak as if it was a pork chop but you wouldn't be experiencing the taste of a steak. Grilled meat is good, but I wouldn't waste a steak on the grill to dry it up and make it inherently un-steaky.
Evidently you need to know how to work a grill, then!

I don't want to boast, but I can make fire do amazing things with meat on a grill ;)

The major problem I've seen with people trying to grill entirely too hot. If you have a propane grill, then put it to the LOWEST setting, and keep the lid closed. If you have a charcoal grill, let the fire die down a bit before you start grilling.

The trick is to grill longer at a lower temp. I've seen guys 'grill' a steak in 10 minutes or less. Sorry, you may as well have taken a blow torch to it!!

My steaks take 30+ minutes to grill, depending on the cut, and how well done people want them. I like mine a medium rare.

Thanks to this post, when I get paid tomorrow I'm going out, buying steak, and Monday having a steak dinner, LOL
I was just pointing out that regardless of temperature and time, gravity will ensure a steak on a grill loses moisture :p

So when you have the recipe for "working" gravity better, please hook me up!

I'm not saying a steak grilled to perfection won't be good. It will just be lacking some of what makes it a true steak in the end. Emphasis on some.
Flip it. You don't put a steak on and immediately every bit of juice gets sucked down. This is Earth, not Jupiter.

Slow cooking and rotating keeps the juices inside the steak, where they should be!

lunam-kardas

Jul 21, 2011
Medium rare: Nice and bloody but still cooked.

Oh, and steak sauce must only be on the side. I will not have my precious meal slathered in god knows what before I sample it.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
Usually medium rare, because I'm original. For the right cut (or for stuff that's not beef - kangaroo steaks, for example) I'll go rare though.

Aside from ruining the meat, well done also takes too damned long to cook :p

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
uberDoward said:
Metalhandkerchief said:
lwm3398 said:
Nothing beats a charcoal grill in terms of flavor. This is pretty much an indisputable fact.
On general meat yes, on a fine steak, no. The whole point of a good steak is that it is not any old meat. You could eat the steak as if it was a pork chop but you wouldn't be experiencing the taste of a steak. Grilled meat is good, but I wouldn't waste a steak on the grill to dry it up and make it inherently un-steaky.
Evidently you need to know how to work a grill, then!

I don't want to boast, but I can make fire do amazing things with meat on a grill ;)

The major problem I've seen with people trying to grill entirely too hot. If you have a propane grill, then put it to the LOWEST setting, and keep the lid closed. If you have a charcoal grill, let the fire die down a bit before you start grilling.

The trick is to grill longer at a lower temp. I've seen guys 'grill' a steak in 10 minutes or less. Sorry, you may as well have taken a blow torch to it!!

My steaks take 30+ minutes to grill, depending on the cut, and how well done people want them. I like mine a medium rare.

Thanks to this post, when I get paid tomorrow I'm going out, buying steak, and Monday having a steak dinner, LOL
Just out of curiosity do so you have any recommendations on how to cook using a wood fire grill? I ask because my older brother recently moved into a house and the backyard has a wood burning pit for grilling.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Da Orky Man said:
It is a simple, yet telling question. How much do you cook your steak, and why? Do you eat it right off the animal, or do you throw it into the sun for a few days?

I myself go for medium rare. It has a good blend of juicy rareness, combined with the texture of something that has actually been cooked. A steak to be proud of.

Mmmmmmm...
A bit more cooked than the steak in that photo, with a nice sear on the outside. I like the taste and texture of a medium cooked steak, and love the flavor of seared meat. Add in a good spice rub with a bit of heat and I'm in heaven.

I voted medium rare, since you don't have a medium option, and cooked through is too cooked.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Cooked through but I hear medium rare is supposed to be the way to go since it keeps a lot of natural flavors and juices. I honestly find steak rather boring and prefer it cut thin and on bread.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
My family doesn't eat a whole lot of steak, so I always order well done, because I believed that it was fully cooked. After watching some cooking shows, I decided to try medium rare. It is still cooked well and surprisingly juicy. I'm now a medium rare guy.

DktrAgonizer

Jun 7, 2010
Medium rare fo sho, though on occasion I do like rare. Also, I never eat my steak with steak sauce. A good steak has a great flavor on its own.

Dang, now I want some steak. Curse this topic.

Watcheroftrends

Jan 5, 2009
The hard thing about this poll for me is that I don't think I've ever experienced any sort of consistency with the steaks I've gotten at restaurants. It seems like every place has its own definition of what a medium is - my usual order. I can't stand it when there's no structure to the steak from being undercooked. It should also have a reasonably consistent temperature that's warm/hot rather than some parts that are lukewarm. If they can manage these things, I can accept it being a bit more on the done side. The epitomy of steak cooking I've experienced was at Morton's. The meat was unfortunately a little bland on flavor, but it was PERFECTLY cooked.

On a side note, the most tasty steaks I've had were thin cut ones placed on top of the ingredients in a hot rock bowl (molcajete). They have a lot of mositure/grease to them from being fried in a pan alongside vegetables and chicken. My local mexican restaurant sprinkles some mozzarella cheese on top of them just before serving. Tastes amazing, and the rest of the dish is incredibly delicious as well.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I can only truly enjoy it if I personally put the beast down and cut it out myself, then consume it with little more than a dash of salt and a dozen yeast rolls to sop up every last drop of the gift the magnificent bastard has yielded.

Buut, ehh, its steak and steak is awesome no matter how its done, so I will eat it any way I get it.