Poll: Steak - How do you like yours?

SomeBrianDude

Nov 30, 2010
Rare, all the way.I don't see why anyone gets it any other way, it's just so juicy and delicious. I want some steak. I hate you, Escapist. Now I'm gonna have to walk all the way to the 24 hour supermarket again.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
I like my steak bloody (yes, I know it's myoglobin) as hell, if possible. That means rare to all you filthy meat casuals.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
I like a nice perfect medium rare where there's a nice crust on the outside but the inside still tastes of the pain and terror the animal felt on the slaughter line. Besides, having read Kitchen Confidential and knowing about the "Save for well done" practice, i order medium rare just to keep that asshole in a hat in line.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
I prefer my steaks just on the rare side of medium rare. Nice crispy brown, carmelized sear, going to deep pink, almost red right in the middle. Yum.

Now I want a steak :-(

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Meat? Mmmmm, good. Meat is goooood.

The first time I went to a real steak restaurant I came abruptly face to face with the fact that 'Rare' as I'd thought I liked it wasn't the same "Rare" to a steak house.

For a steak house "Rare" meant the cooks took a sirloin, dragged it across a hot stove to sear one side, then flipped it over and did it to the other side, then plopped it onto a plate with the insides still cold and THAT was it.

I tried medium rare then, only to discover that even though I liked it bloody the insides were still cold.

I order medium now days.

EDIT: After determining what the restaurant considers "Medium", that is. Many consider a steak having just a tinge of pink Medium Rare. Bah Humbug.

Also go for Medium Rare Plus at real steak houses.

Especially when I have steak and eggs for breakfast. I love the taste of blood in the morning.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I am in the majority here, medium rare. It's the ideal combination of "grilled and seasoned to perfection" outside and "melts deliciously in your mouth" inside.

Corax_1990

May 21, 2010
Jamash said:
Corax_1990 said:
Medium rare, all the way. Never understood people who get a steak well done, whats the point in even having a steak if you're gonna get all the flavor grilled out?
If you know how to cook properly (and fry rather than grill), then a well-done steak won't have it's flavour impaired at all and depending on how you prepare it, cooking it well-done will actually improve the flavours as certain ingredients crisp and caramelise.
Alright Captain Passive Aggressive, calm down. I've had well done steak both grilled and fried and I don't think they taste nearly as good as a medium rare one. Its about personal preference, not who is right or wrong.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
I say medium because I eat my steaks on such rare occasions.
*Ba Dum Tish*
Seriously though, I rarely have eaten steak very few times in my life and someone told me medium rare was the default choice.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I tend to get my steaks cooked medium. That way if they overcook it slightly....all is still good and if they undercook it slightly....all is still good. Also, I now want a steak. Good thing I live in Texas!!!!

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Wolverine18 said:
You fry your steak? That's just horrible.
wut? that's the default way of cooking it.

Unless you think "fry" means something other than "cook it in a frying pan" since that's all it implies.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
I like mine medium-well, which gives you just a bit of pink. I would guess that the closest one on the poll is 'cooked through' but that doesn't sound right.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I don't care what the steak elitists say. I love mine well done. If the cook has a problem with that, maybe he shouldn't be in any sort of customer service profession.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
You forgot Medium well on there. And Medium.

I like mine somewhere in there. I don't want it bleeding, but a little pink and juicy is good.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Still walking around and chewing grass.

Just give me cutlery and point me at the nearest cattle heard,I'm sold.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Medium Rare. Nice and soft, lots of flavor and, it's still covered in its own great sauce. I love some steak...haven't had any in a long while.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Rare as I can get it, trimmed as much as possible. Conversely my SO eats them practically cremated, makes cooking a real PITA.