Poll: Stupid, offensive and misspelled gamer tags

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Well I object to dumb gamer-tags but the day we find it acceptable to start editing gamer tags is the day the online gaming turns into a fascist work camp where everyone is afraid of saying anything in case some mod thinks it's dumb and kicks you for being stupid.

I understand banning racism, only a minority of psychopathic assholes use racism and is one of the few words that can hurt, but loads of people use dumb/vulgar gamer-tags and we shouldn't be a bunch of Nazi prudes and ban them for using them.

Posh English gent voice: "I say, I was just decapitating this man with a chainsaw and I saw to my horror his name was 'poop_muncher'!!! Now I don't think anybody wants to hear about 'poop' when dismembering corpses, Ban That Ruffian!!!"

KenzS

Jun 2, 2008
Seriously, you spend a small amount of time with these people. If they're gamertag bugs you so much then your just intolerant.

DannyDamage

Aug 27, 2008
Crazybuddha56 post=9.70262.686016 said:
Dancingman post=9.70262.686004 said:
Honestly, I find gamertags like those above to be more of an annoyance, however, I drew the line when I was playing Call of Duty 3 with someone named AuschwitzOven.
That is so offensive he should be convicted of a crime against humanity.
Yeah, that is pretty harsh. The line should be drawn with stuff like that. IMO though, if folk wanna have a name that's stupid, let em. It makes it easier to remember who to avoid.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
Geo Da Sponge post=9.70262.685932 said:
People who put the word 'sniper' into their name, under the false pretence that it will make them better at using any weapon. It is especially annoying when they mispell 'sniper'.
That annoys me too, not because it sounds like they can be better with a weapon, but because you dont "snipe" in a multiplayer shooter match. It is sharpshooting. Snipers are used in special op missions. Sharpshooters, or marksmen, are used in open combat.

As for the topic in general, I hate crazy names I cant read because I cant call someone out to give them info or something similar if it takes me half a minute to say all the numbers or try to pernounce some crazy name properly. Even when you try to summarize it, they usually will not recongize you are trying to tell them something.

Crazybuddha56

Aug 10, 2008
KenzS post=9.70262.686026 said:
Seriously, you spend a small amount of time with these people. If they're gamertag bugs you so much then your just intolerant.
You're intolerant of my intolerance of people who are intolerant.

Crazybuddha56

Aug 10, 2008
Treblaine post=9.70262.686023 said:
Well I object to dumb gamer-tags but the day we find it acceptable to start editing gamer tags is the day the online gaming turns into a fascist work camp where everyone is afraid of saying anything in case some mod thinks it's dumb and kicks you for being stupid.
Microsoft is a private company, they have the right to do whatever the hell they want to. They already possess the right to ban you for any reason, it was in the acceptance page no one reads when you register your X Box 360.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
dannydamage post=9.70262.686028 said:
Crazybuddha56 post=9.70262.686016 said:
Dancingman post=9.70262.686004 said:
Honestly, I find gamertags like those above to be more of an annoyance, however, I drew the line when I was playing Call of Duty 3 with someone named AuschwitzOven.
That is so offensive he should be convicted of a crime against humanity.
Yeah, that is pretty harsh. The line should be drawn with stuff like that. IMO though, if folk wanna have a name that's stupid, let em. It makes it easier to remember who to avoid.
Someone who names themselves after mass murder is basically putting a banner over their head saying "Hey I'm a dickhead. Shoot me first!" It's self-defeating. They just expose their ignorance, however repellant I find it.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Ah, screw them. I like to know the base intelligence of my opponent just by looking at how much of a base retard wrote the gamertag. It is a good indication.

Janus Vesta

Mar 25, 2008
I have a 3 rules about the people I engage with online:
1. If they just DiScoVeReD ThE CaPsLoCk KeY or 0v3r us3 0f num83r5.
2. If I see them log in 20 times in 5 minutes.
3. Anyone who has more than 10 XBLA games.

None of these people go on my friends list.

Black yeoman

Jun 22, 2008
I dont mind silly names, but:
t3h1337sn1p3r
xXkissdudeXx
spartan1746483947383048562097456

Enough said I think, I dont like people whacking numbers on the end unless it means something, for example no one has taken my name exept on youtube, where I had to add a 42 on the end, 42= the meaning of life in douglas adams' books.
On the other had people called "a tree" or "your mom"(you were killed by-) on halo one was just slightly funny, no harm done.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
Janus Vesta post=9.70262.686186 said:
I have a 3 rules about the people I engage with online:
1. If they just DiScoVeReD ThE CaPsLoCk KeY or 0v3r us3 0f num83r5.
2. If I see them log in 20 times in 5 minutes.
3. Anyone who has more than 10 XBLA games.

None of these people go on my friends list.
Hey janus, you can add me to your Friends list! I hate all those things too! (BandyParts)

TheGhostOfSin

Terrible, Terrible Damage.
May 21, 2008
Crazybuddha56 post=9.70262.685916 said:
capitalization makes no difference in availability.
Yes it does...
But seriously, numbers in names really annoy me, no exceptions.

Nohbodie

Aug 31, 2008
Well for me I think some of the stupid names should go, but then again there are some funny ones that just make me die laughing each time I see them. I just really get a kick out of being assasinated by BabyJesus when I play halo XD

Riyka

May 22, 2008
yeah the names mentioned are irritating..>< some amusing names are pretty funny though,
my friends and i always pick silly names when we game together, all based around cake and waffles...i just find it quite amusing to run around with a guy called 'furry waffle', beating the hell out of people...
i know someone with stupid tags though, his last character was called T'b 'O' L'rd..><

one-shot-finch

Jun 12, 2008
they shouldn't be banned imagine if someone working on psn or xbla had to decide if aSs CraKeR had to be banned or left alone ALL DAY EVERY DAY