Poll: Sub or Dub?

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Xpwn3ntial said:
Post eaten.
I'll be honest, the reason I dislike dubs is the accent. Before Americans jump on me, I have a fair few American friends and I enjoy conversation with them (one southern girl in particular). But for one reason or another, the sound of it just grates when I listen to dubs. Perhaps it's because I watched a dub absolutely ages ago and every line was delivered in 1950's New England?

FirmartheTrilby

Sep 13, 2010
I am really subwhore when it comes to anime, when someone says he prefers dub I feel like punching that person in the face. On the otherhand in my country we have really quality dub in movies so when it comes to movies I don't mind that much, although I believe everything is best in original version.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Subs for me. Many dubs are very painful to listen to, especially when they put on a thick American accent. And frankly I like the sound of the Japanese language quite a lot, although I don't understand it (yet).

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
SckizoBoy said:
Xpwn3ntial said:
Post eaten.
I'll be honest, the reason I dislike dubs is the accent. Before Americans jump on me, I have a fair few American friends and I enjoy conversation with them (one southern girl in particular). But for one reason or another, the sound of it just grates when I listen to dubs. Perhaps it's because I watched a dub absolutely ages ago and every line was delivered in 1950's New England?
That's far more respectable than "dubs are inherently terrible." You just don't like the accent? I'll play the world's smallest violin for you, but you're entitled to your opinion and I won't argue taste.

What show was this? I might have to look that up.

UrbanCohort

Nov 30, 2009
I watch anime in the original language w/ subs for the same reason you wouldn't watch Family Guy in Italian...things just sound better in the OL.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Let me just say:
"Lost in Translation."
That encompasses my feelings quite well.
Also, most dubs are atrocious.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Xpwn3ntial said:
That's far more respectable than "dubs are inherently terrible." You just don't like the accent? I'll play the world's smallest violin for you, but you're entitled to your opinion.

What show was this? I might have to look that up.
My thanks. It was a film... I think it was the original dub of My Neighbour Totoro, but I'm not sure.

To be fair, the Disney dub of MNT was quite good, as was Haibane Renmei (though I still prefer the Japanese original).

As per my original post, though, I watch in Japanese without subs, purely because I can. And while I can go on record as being a 'hater' of dubs, there are a fair few exceptions to this (Vampire Hunter D + sequel being two, watched the sequel in English only, couldn't be bothered to get the Japanese because I was genuinely impressed).

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Subbed all the way. Growing up in the Netherlands where everything is subbed (literally, we even subtitle Belgian people speaking Dutch) I've learned to read subtitles so fast I don't miss a thing.

When I was in Germany last year I went to a movie completely forgetting that they dub everything... it was horrible.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
JoJoDeathunter said:
icyneesan said:
Subs, mainly because I watch things with high pitched little girls, and high pitched little girls sound better when speaking Japanese then they do when speaking English.

That and I like subs for karaoke/the extra style they add to certain series.
Hah, this is true, maybe it's because I'm British but often American children's voices seem really grating (who usually end up being the English language voices).
Wait, they use actual children to voice those characters!? I thought it was just adults trying to be Japanese children! This is 10x worse! I think you've made me hate english dubs even more.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
You can't really make the argument for either based on one show or even several shows. There are some shows that are much better subbed, and some that are at least as good or maybe better dubbed. Personally if a dub is good enough, even if it's not quite as good as the sub, I'd go with that because subtitles are distracting. As far as I know though, only one anime is widely believed to be equally good if not better dubbed than subbed, which is Cowboy Bebop. Can't cite my sources on that though, so I could be mistaken.

Syntax Man

Apr 8, 2008
Unless the dub is done by 4Kids I prefer dubs, though if no dub exists or is shit (see 4Kids example) I will watch the sub.

Calcabrina

Dec 30, 2010
I watch dubs occasionally, but I prefer to watch subs.
Mainly because with dubs, there's usually a lot lost in translation, you know?

Teh Ty

Sep 10, 2008
Usually dubs, unless it's horrible dubs, like the bleach anime or one piece, or some others, but if the dubs are fitting, like FLCL, then I'll watch with dubs.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
I prefer it in a rubbish bin.

On a serious note though, I tend to like things being subtitled. Dubbing ruins the acting.
I don't really watch anime though. I just know Pan's Labyrinth would have been ruined if English actors had spoken over the original Spanish.

KValentine

Mar 4, 2009
I want to hear if the dub does not make me want to run my ears through a cheese grater... or better yet, run the dub director's ears through a cheese grater.

Though I admit that I prefer anime that is set in America (Gunsmith Cats comes to mind) to be dubbed since I'd expect American characters to speak English.

Then there are series like "Shin Chan" or "Ghost Stories" that adapted into some cleverly written or ad-libbed comedy dubs. It's just brilliant work.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Depends entirely on how well it's done. I don't really watch anime but if a dub is done well I imagine I'd prefer that, and despite what the otakus would have you believe not every dub is by default an unholy abomination. If I recall, there have been some dubs so well done, the series creators themselves have declared them superior to the originals.