Poll: Suiting up

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
So I was talking to my housemates and they thought it was strange how much I love wearing suits, in fact some of the more narrowminded individuals even cast aspersions on my sexuality. But it true (the suits part, not my sexuality) I love dressing up, picking and matching stuff like the colour of the suit, the shirt, corner square, cufflinks, tie, shoes and belt. I love how powerful and confident you feel wearing one and I love how comfortable a suit that fits properly is. In fact the only thing I hate is the cost and even then I don't feel as bad when I see people drop hundreds of dollar on ripped jeans and fancy-runners, especially when a smart shopper can pick up good formal clothes for cheap.

So my question to the escapist is how do you feel about suits and other formal wear? What is your favourite or least favourite thing?

Edit: I don't wear suits all the time (though I do have to wear a good shirt and slacks for my work/uni), just if somethings even vaguely formal I'll wear a suit.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I haven't worn a suit in 7 years. I tried my old suit yesterday to see if it still fits, because my sister is getting married soon. Nah, I'm really not the suit-wearing type.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
While I don't wear formal/business suits, I do wear dress slacks, a matching or complementary colored dress shirt and a good, non-clip-on neck tie(nothing cheaper than ten/fifteen dollars) when I'm going to a job interview, wedding or funeral (or any other formal occasion).

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
One thing I miss about the 60's, everyone could wander round in a suit without it looking strange.

Hell, Ian from Doctor Who wore a suit when fighting Daleks or cavemen.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
Special occasions and stuff, don't wear it in my normal every day life though probably because I'm not a pretentious twat who thinks a suit makes him look important.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I hate suits, ultimately. Hate the stiffness of them, the stuffiness and the feel.

I got the wrong end of the stick with this topic, round here putting on a condom is also known as "suiting up".

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Never. Had one when I was like seven years old, but not since then.
Don't think suits fits well on long haired guys either.

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
I like wearing suits, although the tie gets a bit bothersome at times.

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
I'm a girl but I still wear a suit from time to time. Usually just for special events like my uni awards night but sometimes I dress smart where its not strictly necessary.

RemuValtrez

Sep 14, 2011
For the most part I rather enjoy dressing up. Unfortunately I really don't have that option very often. Oh well.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
While I'm definitely not as enthusiastic for them as the OP, I'm also a fan of suits and formal attire and I've never had an issue wearing a shirt and tie. The only reason I don't more often is I find them a bit hot and I've gained weight recently and can't afford a lot of new clothes so had to go for cheap polo-shirts/t-shirts more.

For me, the worst thing I can ever see under dress code is "Smart-Casual". Seriously, what the hell? I've always just gone and worn a shirt an trousers in this situation as its the least complicated.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Suits... well me and suits have a complicated relationship. I'm a thick-necked slim-shouldered short-arse, so finding shirts, jackets and trousers that fit me properly without to much alteration at an affordable price can be a massive pain in the arse. I also don't like the usually accompanying dress shoes, and ties and me have never gotten along. But I do like the whole look of it, so I'm becoming more inclined to dress up.

chaosbedlam

Apr 15, 2009
I just wear whats comfortable, though i own a very nice suit it just sits in my wardrobe feeling all neglected.

rohansoldier

Sep 5, 2011
Not really a suit person. I only really wear one for special occasions or interviews.

I much prefer my casual wear.