Poll: Tali Reveal

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Lucyfer86 said:
I vote for Yes, as an optional choice.

...And for the love of god, please let Female Shep do romance with her. Really broke my heart when i realized that it's not possible on ME2.
But why If Tali doesn't want to be gay? Ever thought of her feeling as well?

Forcing someone to love you even though they wont... Tsk...

You sir (or miss) are a rapist! That's what you are!

And now for something completely different... The Larch.

hardband

Nov 21, 2009
Honestly it depends how Bioware would handle it. Here's two examples, one would be good the other wouldn't:

1. Tali takes her helmet off for not other reason than to show the player what she looks like.

2. During her romance subplot she shows Shepard her face, which is very mutated. The player could then decide whether they still wanted to be with her after the reveal. (I know this couldn't actually happen because Shepard sees her face in the Tali romance plot, but these are only fake scenarios)

I'm sure you can tell which would be better and more emotional :p

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
sms_117b said:
Not Tali's face, another one of her race though.

Or how about this, BioWare release an alternate romance scene in a FREE DLC pack that doe reveal her face
That would be a good compromise. If not showing her silhouette/ shadow could be telling without being game breaking.

KaizokuouHasu

May 19, 2011
Radoh said:
KaizokuouHasu said:
Tachcoma said:
KaizokuouHasu said:
Yes. Obviously. Not revealing her face to us is just a lazy move on Bioware's part
I wouldn't say its lazy just leaves a little more to the imagination it would be nice to see but if they not going to do it well would you rather they not did it at all ?
It is lazy. Why do I have to use my imagination to come up with a face for a character I don't even own? One of Bioware's designers just have to put pen to paper and finish the job - which they are already paid for.
It isn't that they don't know what to draw her like, it's that they don't know if they want to reveal her and ruin the mystery that the Quarians hold.
There isn't a mystery. That's what I'm trying to tell everyone. It was in detail explained why Quarians wear full-body suits. So the fact that they are wearing it now is a technicality, not a mystery. I'll tell you what was mysterious; that short moment in the first Lord of the Ring film when we met Aragorn. Before we knew who he was he is only introduced as the Strider, and we briefly see his face partially lit by his own tobacco glow. Soon afterwards he removes his hood to reveal his identity (to the extent he himself identifies with) and the mystery is solved.

That we don't see a quarians face - ever - and that it isn't even explained is a dick move. From a game that places so much emphasis on explaining how things work in and are in this universe, even down to how Asari reproduce, that they don't even drop us a hint on what the general facial make-up is. Do they have two eyes? Four? Do they have Eye-lids?

crazyhyena645

Feb 19, 2011
Then close your eyes. I choose to know the truth, not sit in wonder because I might not like it.[/quote]

normally i would agree but in this case its more about entertianment then real life facts. i think i would prefer them not to reveal her but if they did it would not stop me enjoying the game.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
KaizokuouHasu said:
Radoh said:
KaizokuouHasu said:
Tachcoma said:
KaizokuouHasu said:
Yes. Obviously. Not revealing her face to us is just a lazy move on Bioware's part
I wouldn't say its lazy just leaves a little more to the imagination it would be nice to see but if they not going to do it well would you rather they not did it at all ?
It is lazy. Why do I have to use my imagination to come up with a face for a character I don't even own? One of Bioware's designers just have to put pen to paper and finish the job - which they are already paid for.
It isn't that they don't know what to draw her like, it's that they don't know if they want to reveal her and ruin the mystery that the Quarians hold.
There isn't a mystery. That's what I'm trying to tell everyone. It was in detail explained why Quarians wear full-body suits. So the fact that they are wearing it now is a technicality, not a mystery.
Why they wear the suits isn't the mystery you silly, it's what they look like underneath it.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
If they do show her face, there are some good concept art floating around that I kinda like and so wouldn't mind if she looked like these. I won't complain if they don't show it though, I'm used to it by now.

There's also some pretty scary shit too...

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
chronicfc said:
Lately, with all the talk of Bioware "taking off Tali's mask" in Mass Effect 3, I've been thinking if they should? Maybe the mystery is enough, it is for me, at least. So what do you think? Should they? And what should she look like?
No, leave the mask on, I thought she needed it for life support anyway.

Also, Darth Vader I feel, doesn't really apply to this, he's virtually 'the' main character of Star Wars, it could even be argued the six movies are the story of him / Anikan Skywalker.

So anyway, she could never possibly meet expectations unless she was super hot, like scoldingly beautiful, so why bother? You can't win, shes either average in which case 'aww man, what have I gotten myself into here?' or she's awesomely attractive, and the someone will complain 'err, sexist, err!' or something. Just leave it Bioware, why are you wasting time on things like this? Just hurry up and make the game already, stop wasting time on nonsense like this.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
chronicfc said:
Lately, with all the talk of Bioware "taking off Tali's mask" in Mass Effect 3, I've been thinking if they should? Maybe the mystery is enough, it is for me, at least. So what do you think? Should they? And what should she look like?
Well I'm generally on the side of taking off the masks. There is definitely a point where them keeping on their masks would simply be counter-intuitive to their situation

there will definitely be an outcome where the Quarians get their home-world back, and at that point if they keep their masks on, it simply wouldn't make sense because that's they've been fighting about for 300 years. To be able to not wear a mask, to not be stuck in a suit "separated" from everyone else. It would simply be weird for them not to.

And I definitely am curious to see what the Quarians look like under the suits. (I've always been overtly curious about things)

As for what Tali looks like, I generally envisioned a kind of spritely girl (a la Merill from DA2) with that short feathered pixie hair style (a la singer Pink)

A) Because that's a look I find aesthetically nice

and

B) Because it would match the general form and situation of the Quarians. They're stuck in the suits, so long hair is is impractical, and since most accounts of the Quarians' looks say they're like humans, combine that with their small features and I see something that looks mighty familiar to an elf.

Skyblade12

Apr 24, 2009
KaizokuouHasu said:
Radoh said:
KaizokuouHasu said:
Tachcoma said:
KaizokuouHasu said:
There isn't a mystery. That's what I'm trying to tell everyone. It was in detail explained why Quarians wear full-body suits. So the fact that they are wearing it now is a technicality, not a mystery. I'll tell you what was mysterious; that short moment in the first Lord of the Ring film when we met Aragorn. Before we knew who he was he is only introduced as the Strider, and we briefly see his face partially lit by his own tobacco glow. Soon afterwards he removes his hood to reveal his identity (to the extent he himself identifies with) and the mystery is solved.

That we don't see a quarians face - ever - and that it isn't even explained is a dick move. From a game that places so much emphasis on explaining how things work in and are in this universe, even down to how Asari reproduce, that they don't even drop us a hint on what the general facial make-up is. Do they have two eyes? Four? Do they have Eye-lids?
They never had a reason to reveal the Quarian face when they made Mass Effect. Quarians were in their suits for a reason, and there was no logical reason to remove the suits. All of the character design went into the suit, including the basic "face" that is beneath the mask is meant to highlight the mask through the translucence.

When Mass Effect 2 was being developed, BioWare quickly realized that the character and race were insanely popular, and that, while there were tons of people who wanted the reveal, there was no way they could do a reveal and meet any of the fan's expectations.

That's why there is no concept art of it, because it was never an issue. There was no reason to develop one in ME, Quarians were just a race, and the suit was what the player saw, and therefore where the development was. And in ME2, it was already too late to do a reveal that would please the Tali fans.

It's not laziness. Why don't you sit down and try to make a Quarian under the mask that will please the Tali fanbase?

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
some characters dont need to be unmasked, not for any reason other than covering a face allows an odd connection to the character that helps you imagine yourself as said character.
example: Master chiefs face is never shown as is part of his character, Gordon Freeman never talks either and makes him more interesting.
not saying this applies to all (darth vader being an exception) but some are actually better when left to the imagination.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
Canadish said:
There is a difference. Master Chief is a blank slate "insertyourselfhere" protagonist.
No he isn't, he has a personality, a voice, backstory and in one of the novels it mentions him having pale, white skin.
True, but a few important points...
- He has the personality of a grape.
- We never hear much on his back story in the game.
- Again, "pale white skin" in the novel.

To 99% of the fanbase, he is "a blank slate "insertyourselfhere" protagonist".
Kinda like the Star Wars novels/expanded universe, I ignore it. It's the games/movies/core medium that matters if you ask me.

But, off topic now. Derailing thread over :p

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
Yes, they should.

I would laugh my ass off if it turns out she looks like Zoidberg in that suit.

-Dragmire- said:
If they do show her face, there are some good concept art floating around that I kinda like and so wouldn't mind if she looked like these. I won't complain if they don't show it though, I'm used to it by now.

There's also some pretty scary shit too...
I think those look a bit too human for my taste. I'm hoping for a pretty alien but not to much like they made the Asari look like blue humans with weird scalp implants.
Exotic is the word im looking for.

Toar

Nov 13, 2009
She adds a segment of mystery to Mass Effect. Plus, if they remove the mask she will never look as good or bad as we imagine she will. SPeculation is a strong mechanism of gaming or media manipulation. Keep her in the jar. I like Tali, I can see why she has been under fanboy speculation for so long, but Tali needs to stay in her jar and out of view ASAP,

KaizokuouHasu

May 19, 2011
Radoh said:
KaizokuouHasu said:
Radoh said:
KaizokuouHasu said:
Tachcoma said:
KaizokuouHasu said:
There isn't a mystery. That's what I'm trying to tell everyone. It was in detail explained why Quarians wear full-body suits. So the fact that they are wearing it now is a technicality, not a mystery.
Why they wear the suits isn't the mystery you silly, it's what they look like underneath it.
And that is also what I'm getting at. That shouldn't be a mystery! There are billions of Quarians in the ME universe, and many of them have shown their faces, and bodies to non-Quarians, Shepard included if you're into that sort of thing. The only people who aren't let in on what Quarians look is the player. And I paid for this?

It's stupid. I can't see why you'd defend something like this. It's just unreasonable. It's is comparable to systematically tearing out the last 3 chapters out of every book you buy so that the ending will remain a mystery. ¬_¬

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
I think they should but only for characters who romanced her and chose the right options. Make the player work for it. Make it something you can miss on your first play-through. Also, make it optional. Even if the player answers all the questions correctly and earns Tali's love and trust enough for her to offer to take the mask off, let the player decide. It's a great option because it presents another moral choice (with actual moral consequences, not just a typical good bad blah blah) because they could turn it around and have her get infected if you chose to reveal her, and you'd have to live with the fact that you killed your characters lover with your curiosity.

johnzaku

Jun 16, 2009
Arehexes said:
Should Microsoft show what Master Chief looks like? If anyone says no then you can't really explain why Tali's face should be shown.
Well there's a significant difference. Master chief is a very impersonal character; he has no relations outside Cortana, an AI construct.

I feel that it somewhat wrecks the immersion of being Shepherd when secrets he/she knows are kept from the player.

Shepherd and Tali are close friends, and if you go the relationship storyline, in love. Master Chief is a "lone wolf" in official documentation. Absolutely no one is close to him.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
KaizokuouHasu said:
Radoh said:
KaizokuouHasu said:
Radoh said:
KaizokuouHasu said:
Tachcoma said:
KaizokuouHasu said:
And that is also what I'm getting at. That shouldn't be a mystery! There are billions of Quarians in the ME universe, and many of them have shown their faces, and bodies to non-Quarians, Shepard included if you're into that sort of thing. The only people who aren't let in on what Quarians look is the player. And I paid for this?

It's stupid. I can't see why you'd defend something like this. It's just unreasonable. It's is comparable to systematically tearing out the last 3 chapters out of every book you buy so that the ending will remain a mystery. ¬_¬
Yeah, you paid for Mass Effect 2 with the express and sole interest in seeing Tali's face. That's all you paid for, and were obviously disappointed that there was a game there instead.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
spartan231490 said:
Yes, but it should be a part of her romance plot, so that the people who don't want to see her don't have to.
This answer. I'd even say there should be a few things you have to do if you are going to romance her to get her to show her face just in case people do want to romance her but dont want the mystery ruined.