Poll: Teen sues school over "wigger day"

pubbing

Dec 16, 2010
A black student is suing her former Minnesota high school for celebrating "Wednesday Wigger Day," where white students pretended to be black during homecoming week, The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported Wednesday.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/04/black-student-sues-minnesota-high-school-for-celebrating-wigger-day/?test=latestnews

Now I am not one to really be politically correct or get into a big huff over racial issues but hosting an event like this at a public school seems pretty fucking stupid to me.

Ocealot

Aug 3, 2011
The high school will get what they deserve I dont know what the guy was smoking to find wigger day to be a god Idea. I dont know how the student could not find it offensive.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, that certainly doesn't sound like anything that should be going on in an educational facility, least of all if it's a public one.

On the other hand, it's very hard to sympathize with someone trying to get 75,000 $ over it, a compensatory claim that's beyond ridiculous for being offended over something that - while certainly questionable - involved no palpable discrimination, and wasn't even directed against her specifically. Although I suppose that's the whole punitive damages thing at play.

And with that, I declare the case of "Retards versus Golddigger" to be in session.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
If this is all there is to it, that's pretty damn stupid. Then again, this is Faux News, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Still, in what world does "let's all pretend to be from another ethnicity for kicks" sound good?

Apr 28, 2008
goldendriger said:
Im opposite. Its expression, how CAN they find it offensive?
Most will just act like a stereotypical black person. Meaning they'll dress up like "gangsters" try to "talk black" and most likely some other stupid shit.

These are teenagers, quite a few do it normally, but giving them their own damn day to do it? I can't believe anyone thought this would be a good idea.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
That does sound like a pretty stupid thing for the school to do, but surely there is some legal process for such things? Some official channel one can go through?

Something that doesn't involve giving some teenage girl $75,000 for no good reason?

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
I'm sure that in some mind the whole let's-get-people-closer thing might've sounded like a good idea, but I still rather suggest making it purple, and not black.

This was just asking for a lawsuit.

A lawsuit that is, frankly, rather ridiculous, but I'm not one to criticise anyone who sees her chance to cash in. It's pretty good business sense right there.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
I'm going to give the school the benefit of the doubt by saying that they didn't have "bad" intentions or that the actual thing has been blown out of proportion...

...but honestly, did they REALLY think that was the best name or description for a fucking dress up day? It's like they were begging to be sued.

At my high school, we ended up changing "Nerd Day" to "Einstein Day" because it was offending people (apparently people who weren't dressed up were being complimented for their "costume").

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Seriously, "Wigger day"? At what point did that not seem offensive to the home coming committee? I haven't read the fox news link but let me guess, their stance is that the school has done no wrong?

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
What the heck are they thinking with this? This isn't political correctness, this is common-sense! Does it seriously take $75,000 to teach a school that this is racist, stupid and offensive to everyone?

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Until reading this article, I never understood why race was still such an issue in the States. Now I do.
Fox News said:
A black student is suing her former Minnesota high school for celebrating "Wednesday Wigger Day," where white students pretended to be black during homecoming week, The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported Wednesday.
Good old Fox News, where even the wording of the article is such that the racial boundaries are hightlighted to their extremes. You almost have to admire their persistance, the poor buggers, in trying to reinforce attitudes that were dying out half a century ago.

OT: Fucking hell, this is stupid. Even were race a complete non-issue, this would be offensive, moronic, and even derogatory in the extreme. But because race *is* an issue, I can't imagine what on earth could have possessed the school to try and run this event in the first place, let alone defend it, even now.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Stupid? Yes.

Offensive? Not inherently, it's up to the students how the dress and act, not the school, any offence caused by people acting in a certain way is really down to the person themselves.

Certainly not something that needs $75,000 in compensation however.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
I don't really care, it's a little funny, but I just need to show you all this if you didn't hit the link:

Pruitt claims Wigger Day, also known as "Wangsta Day," was held between 2007 and 2009 and is claiming $75,000 in damages.

....Damages? What the fuck?

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
goldendriger said:
It sets a stereotype for what "black people" are? It'd be like if I made a day that encouraged white people to eat watermelon. Not necessarily racist but the implication is there.

Whatever numbnut thought up this one should be getting fired right about now.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
goldendriger said:
Huh? Could I "express" that all Jews are scum and that Hitler was right and then expect no-one to be offended? Of course not.

benbenthegamerman

May 10, 2009
goldendriger said:
"Wigger" is a word that is a combination of "White" and "******". That in itself is offensive, but it is worse that someone would try to be glorifying an issue in racial relations culture.