Poll: Teen sues school over "wigger day"

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
SuitA: you know what would be funny
SuitB: no what my fine suit wearing friend?
SuitA: if we made a special day where.....ok i have to go to bed any1 want to go somewhere with this?

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Hamish Durie said:
SuitA: you know what would be funny
SuitB: no what my fine suit wearing friend?
SuitA: if we made a special day where.....ok i have to go to bed any1 want to go somewhere with this?
I'll burden the, um, burden!

Suit A: If we made a special day where, nah, nevermind.
Suit B: No, what was it?
Suit A: Well, my suited mate, you know what's funny?
Suit B: Groin shots?
Suit A: Well I was thinking more crude racial stereotyping.
Suit B: I don't think we could do that.
Suit A: Ah, that's the genius my well dressed amigo, we just give the children free reign to do crude racial stereotyping without implying ourselves!
Suit B: Did you take all the weed I gave you?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
pubbing said:
A black student is suing her former Minnesota high school for celebrating "Wednesday Wigger Day," where white students pretended to be black during homecoming week, The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported Wednesday.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/04/black-student-sues-minnesota-high-school-for-celebrating-wigger-day/?test=latestnews

Now I am not one to really be politically correct or get into a big huff over racial issues but hosting an event like this at a public school seems pretty fucking stupid to me.

Hehehehehe. Wigger Wednesday...now thats funny. Why this happens at a shool is beyond me. As a theme for a party? Sure. At school? Lol the teachers must be high.

benbenthegamerman said:
goldendriger said:
Im opposite. Its expression, how CAN they find it offensive?
"Wigger" is a word that is a combination of "White" and "******". That in itself is offensive, but it is worse that someone would try to be glorifying an issue in racial relations culture.
Tbh I dont think its offensive. Words constantly change and I think the ****** word is too many things to be exclusively offensive. The old-school meaning....sure. Offensive...but not all black people are niggers. When I think of a ****** I think of a cultural stereotype, not a racial. I think of extreme baggy pants, stupid bandanas etc. Not all black people are like that. I'm a geek, but I dont take offense when someone portrays geeks as glasses-wearing social retards.

But this is up for discussion I guess :p

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
I'm not sure if this event came about as either:
A: believed to be harmless joke
B: a rasict event
or C: proof that white people wish they where black

Vrud

Mar 11, 2009
"Quera Pruitt, who graduated from Red Wing High School last year, filed the lawsuit last week, saying the "wigger" celebration caused her to be so depressed that she almost dropped out of school."

I suppose I'd be pretty depressed to be attending such a moronic, backwater school, too.

standokan

May 28, 2009
Palm.. you know what to do.

Wait, does Wigger mean wannabe ****** or white ******?

crop52

Mar 16, 2011
tzimize said:
Tbh I dont think its offensive. Words constantly change and I think the ****** word is too many things to be exclusively offensive. The old-school meaning....sure. Offensive...but not all black people are niggers. When I think of a ****** I think of a cultural stereotype, not a racial. I think of extreme baggy pants, stupid bandanas etc. Not all black people are like that. I'm a geek, but I dont take offense when someone portrays geeks as glasses-wearing social retards.
Hey man, be careful. Not everybody knows the difference between a black person and a ******. Only people who listen to certain comedians know that.

Anyways, I believe the offensive part about this is that you're suppose to act "black." Which is horribly stereotypical.

Feb 13, 2008
Ok...

Dressing up as someone of a different race for comedic effect? Sure...but be careful. Eddie Murphy/Vic Reeves/Reece Shearsmith have done it well in the past.

Having a teenage party based around offensive stereotypes? Dear God, everyone involved in that decision should be taken to sensitivity training. Preferably by being invited to the middle of Harlem/Brixton and having a discussion on history.

TheJesus89

Aug 4, 2011
Really?

I mean... someone had to think of this... and think it was a good idea...

seriously?

This is for real?

EDIT:

tzimize said:

But this is up for discussion I guess :p
lol

You obviously don't watch the Office, because there's a pretty funny episode involving the discussion of this topic.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Irridium said:
goldendriger said:
Most will just act like a stereotypical black person. Meaning they'll dress up like "gangsters" try to "talk black" and most likely some other stupid shit.

These are teenagers, quite a few do it normally, but giving them their own damn day to do it? I can't believe anyone thought this would be a good idea.
How would you do it normally? Just "black up"? Seems to me they're obviously expecting people to stereotype, because what else is there to do when they're obviously saying there is some sort of difference?

tzimize said:
The issue is not even the use of the word "wigger" (although it is rather telling of how they were expecting students to pretend they were black) - if it was called something else it would still be completely ludicrous. I'm struggling to know how you'd pretend to be another race beyond delving into stereotypes, because there is no difference beyond the few who meet stereotypes.

UbarElite

Feb 16, 2008
I'm not quite getting whether this was put on by the school (Yeah, probably a little bad, guys) or just self organized by students (not sue worthy, but probably something stupid anyway).

Arluza

Jan 24, 2011
the first problem is your link is to Fauwks 'News' (using news very lightly). Fauwks has made up stories to make minorities look weak and easily offended before, and often make it so the poor white man is being abused by the minorities. So until someone can provide a newspaper headline that isn't owned by Rupert Murdoch, i won't believe the story.

however, the article was kind enough to say what newspaper did write an article first. here is a link to it: http://www.startribune.com/local/126739938.html

Now, when you google "The Minneapolis Star Tribune wigger day" the first link is to Fauwks, the second to that link, and the third here, to this very thread. And i don't know about you other Americans from public schools, but typically homecoming takes place in late September to mid October, depending on the schedule of the football games. WHY then was this only NOW covered by the news? something like this in Ohio would get news for the notice that wiggers even exist. a student SUING a school? that would probably be a decision made far before an entire year had passed.

The whole article seems fishy at best to me.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Will, in my experience with highschool the student council chooses what fun things happen during spirit week. It is finally given the okay by the teacher that is in charge of the student council.

It was always good fun at my school. Never had a tranny sue my school because we had a cross dressing day.

Too me, I really can't side with the girl. Kids just wanted to have fun and if that girl felt offended by whites acting black (and white kids generally get their black culture and image from rap) it just makes me feel sad if anything its more like satire of rap culture which is pretty ridiculous, bling and what not and i would bet 95% of the kids who bothered to dress up dressed like that. Me i would have dressed up as a peanut but im a genius and George Washington Carver was a badass.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
Never heard the word wigger before - so no idea if it's an offensive word or something. But bloody hell this is a brilliant idea! It's expressing their acceptance. If everyone acted really flamboyant and gay for a day - I doubt we'd be so offended. We'd all have a good laugh and people would be happy but noooooo the second you mention a color it's the worse thing in the worse.
O.K It wasn't a good idea perhaps but really now - GET OVER IT! xD

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
If people are really this ignorant and down-right stupid, then I really don't see any good in the future. Maybe it's the little things and occurrences, or maybe it's the big things that happen, but it's both frustrating and depressing to hear about the kind of shit that happens when common sense, rationality and the smallest glimmer of sensibility go flying out the fucking window.

Apr 28, 2008
Woodsey said:
Irridium said:
goldendriger said:
Most will just act like a stereotypical black person. Meaning they'll dress up like "gangsters" try to "talk black" and most likely some other stupid shit.

These are teenagers, quite a few do it normally, but giving them their own damn day to do it? I can't believe anyone thought this would be a good idea.
How would you do it normally? Just "black up"? Seems to me they're obviously expecting people to stereotype, because what else is there to do when they're obviously saying there is some sort of difference?
By normally I meant they try to act like black people(or what they think black people act like) all the time.

Essentially, they're chavs without a British accent. Imagine having a "chav day" and it's basically the same as this "wigger day".

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Wow... who's bright idea was that anyway? I personally find "Wiggers" annoying, and I'm not even black!